SpaceX lands Falcon rocket at sea! (yay!)
Big Bad Bob
2016-04-09 06:11:19 UTC
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/

worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.

science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on their
tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
Big Bad Bob
2016-04-09 06:12:05 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bob
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/
worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.
science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on their
tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
oops I posted this to the wrong newsgroup, sorry - crossposting
correctly. still cool.
Mike Yetto
2016-04-09 12:50:58 UTC
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/
worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.
science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on their
tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
oops I posted this to the wrong newsgroup, sorry - crossposting
correctly. still cool.
Perhaps not the wrong group. Was the computer that landed the
first stage running Windows 10 or Linux?

Mike "asking for a friend" Yetto
--
"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitates."
- William of Ockham
Johnny
2016-04-09 14:43:20 UTC
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 08:50:58 -0400
Post by Mike Yetto
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/
worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.
science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on
their tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
oops I posted this to the wrong newsgroup, sorry - crossposting
correctly. still cool.
Perhaps not the wrong group. Was the computer that landed the
first stage running Windows 10 or Linux?
Mike "asking for a friend" Yetto
ELC: SpaceX lessons learned
By Jake Edge
March 6, 2013

On day two of the 2013 Embedded Linux Conference, Robert Rose of SpaceX
spoke about the "Lessons Learned Developing Software for Space
Vehicles". In his talk, he discussed how SpaceX develops its
Linux-based software for a wide variety of tasks needed to put
spacecraft into orbit—and eventually beyond. Linux runs everywhere at
SpaceX, he said, on everything from desktops to spacecraft.

Cut!

His team does not use "off-the-shelf distro kernels". Instead, they
spend a lot of time evaluating kernels for their needs. One of the
areas they focus on is scheduler performance. They do not have hard
realtime requirements, but do care about wakeup latencies, he said.
There are tests they use to quantify the performance of the scheduler
under different scenarios, such as while stressing the network. Once a
kernel is chosen, "we try not to change it".

The development tools they use are "embarrassingly non-sophisticated",
Rose said. They use GCC and gdb, while "everyone does their own thing"
in terms of editors and development environments. Development has
always targeted Linux, but it was not always the desktop used by
developers, so they have also developed a lot of their own POSIX-based
tools. The main reason for switching to Linux desktops was because of
the development tools that "you get out of the box", such as ftrace,
gdb (which can be directly attached to debug your target platform),
netfilter, and iptables.

Rose provided an interesting view inside the software development for a
large and complex embedded Linux environment. In addition, his talk was
more open than a previous SpaceX talk we covered, which was nice to
see. Many of the techniques used by the company will sound familiar to
most programmers, which makes it clear that the process of creating
code for spacecraft is not exactly rocket science.

http://lwn.net/Articles/540368/
Mike Yetto
2016-04-09 15:57:30 UTC
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by Johnny
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 08:50:58 -0400
Post by Mike Yetto
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
[...]
I must confess that the question was, at least, half in jest.
However, the answers are interesting.

Mike "straight answers to smart-ass questions Я us" Yetto
--
"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Paul
2016-04-09 15:25:20 UTC
Post by Mike Yetto
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/
worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.
science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on their
tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
oops I posted this to the wrong newsgroup, sorry - crossposting
correctly. still cool.
Perhaps not the wrong group. Was the computer that landed the
first stage running Windows 10 or Linux?
http://aviationweek.com/blog/dragons-radiation-tolerant-design

"The second thing is what tools they come with. We run
the Linux operating system, we program everything in C++,
and that enables us to tap into a huge pool of very talented
people and find the absolute best people in the computer and
software industry to work with us."

Scary.

Paul
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
2016-04-09 16:28:39 UTC
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 08:50:58 -0400, Mike Yetto
Post by Mike Yetto
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Very likely, it was Linux.
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
2016-04-09 16:59:33 UTC
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 12:28:39 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
Post by DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
Very likely, it was Linux.
The science of NOT dropping some things...

http://tinyurl.com/gqdwrzp
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
2016-04-09 17:02:18 UTC
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 12:59:33 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
Post by DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 12:28:39 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
Post by DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
Very likely, it was Linux.
The science of NOT dropping some things...
http://tinyurl.com/gqdwrzp
This animated gif is sped up. The real time is better, and it looks
like balancing a pool cue on one's fingertip. I think it bounced
several times and it and the barge made shifts to keep it balanced.

There must be some huge gyros in that barge.
stepore
2016-04-09 17:15:52 UTC
Post by Mike Yetto
Perhaps not the wrong group. Was the computer that landed the
first stage running Windows 10 or Linux?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/z9jx99t
<http://www.linuxveda.com/2016/01/10/tesla-joins-the-linux-foundation-to-create-linux-cars/>

Elon Musk said in a statement: "Both Tesla and SpaceX are already heavy
users of Linux and Open Source technologies. Working with the Linux
foundation is a natural fit for us. We look forward to Tuxla cars."
Lerm
2016-04-09 22:10:29 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/
worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.
science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on their
tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
oops I posted this to the wrong newsgroup, sorry - crossposting
correctly. still cool.
Not so off-topic, since the guidance control systems that landed the
rocket probably used some version of *NIX. Windows 10 is highly
unlikely.
Big Bad Bob
2016-04-09 22:37:09 UTC
Post by Lerm
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/
worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.
science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on their
tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
oops I posted this to the wrong newsgroup, sorry - crossposting
correctly. still cool.
Not so off-topic, since the guidance control systems that landed the
rocket probably used some version of *NIX. Windows 10 is highly
unlikely.
if it had been my design there would be a set of networked RPi's in
there, controlling the rocket's subsystems, all running Raspbian. And
maybe the drone ship, too.
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
2016-04-10 05:51:22 UTC
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 15:37:09 -0700, Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Lerm
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/
worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.
science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on their
tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
oops I posted this to the wrong newsgroup, sorry - crossposting
correctly. still cool.
Not so off-topic, since the guidance control systems that landed the
rocket probably used some version of *NIX. Windows 10 is highly
unlikely.
if it had been my design there would be a set of networked RPi's in
there, controlling the rocket's subsystems, all running Raspbian. And
maybe the drone ship, too.
Yeah those (super cheaply) massed produced circuit assemblies are real
hardy... NOT!

Big Bad Bob
2016-04-10 01:01:27 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Big Bad Bob
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/08/spacex_successfully_shoots_off_a_supply_mission/
worth a round of applause. It's a first, yeah.
science fiction becoming science fact - the rockets that land on their
tails. Well, just the first stage, but still...
oops I posted this to the wrong newsgroup, sorry - crossposting
correctly. still cool.
related, Elon wants to re-use the rocket by June

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/09/falcon_9_rocket_reused_in_two_months/

This will be INTERESTING especially if he can get someone to pay for a
PAY-load (heh, PUN-ishment) to ride the thing...