a long shot, but maybe you can help
Jon I
2021-01-25 16:53:06 UTC
I recently brought out one of my two SDR's (Software Defined Radio)
called a Softrock Ensemble RX II after being in storage for a decade and
I am trying to get it to work in Ubuntu 18.04. I followed the
instructions to the letter:

http://www.n8mdp.com/sdrLinux.php

However, like with that gentleman, I am getting similar error messages
at the bottom of the page:

***@jon-Dell-PC:~$ python /home/jon/SDR/quisk/quisk
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1,
skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1,
skipping unlock

Unfortunately, he said he solved it, but didn't go on to reveal how
which is why I was turning here.

The Quisk program goes ahead and opens, but no matter which band I
choose, and it almost seems like its switching bands, nothing really
changes and I hear the same CW signals at the same locations. This
probably all has to do with the settings.

About to throw in the towel on this one and revamp and set up an unused
Win desktop, just hoped I didn't have to clutter up my limited space
doing that if I can do it on the Ubuntu main desktop.

Any help would be welcome and thanks in advance.
Mike Easter
2021-01-25 18:21:32 UTC
Post by Jon I
I recently brought out one of my two SDR's (Software Defined Radio)
called a Softrock Ensemble RX II after being in storage for a decade and
I am trying to get it to work in Ubuntu 18.04. I followed the
I don't know anything about this kind of project; but I'm looking at the
site you posted.
Post by Jon I
http://www.n8mdp.com/sdrLinux.php
That is a very old guide; related to an XP & Ub 12.04 era.

Another site I found from searching for some of the references found at
the above link is that of James Ahlstrom, which is of a more
contemporary era, 2020 Nov.

http://james.ahlstrom.name/quisk/docs.html Welcome to QUISK (November
2020)

... in which he addresses various issues that have evolved since python
2.7 (of your ref) and other wares.
Post by Jon I
About to throw in the towel on this one and revamp and set up an unused
Win desktop, just hoped I didn't have to clutter up my limited space
doing that if I can do it on the Ubuntu main desktop.
I still do some things on old WinXP ware.
2021-01-25 18:45:20 UTC
Post by Jon I
I recently brought out one of my two SDR's (Software Defined Radio)
called a Softrock Ensemble RX II after being in storage for a decade and
I am trying to get it to work in Ubuntu 18.04. I followed the
http://www.n8mdp.com/sdrLinux.php
Alternatively, if you are going to be compiling such as

https://code.google.com/archive/p/usbsoftrock/downloads
usbsoftrock-1.0.2.tar.gz
Feb 18, 2011

... it might be more consistent w/ the web page content you cited above
to be using the old Ub 12.04 instead of 18.04; because there were a lot
of changes/ evolution/ between 12.04 and 18.04.

You can dl the .iso for 12.04 and write it to USB and boot it live and
work w/ it from that condition.
2021-01-25 22:13:29 UTC
Post by Jon I
[...]
If you get this to work, I think we'll be awarding you
an honorary CS degree.

If I needed a Ubuntu 12.04 for some strange reason, I'd look
for a UbuntuStudio disc of the same vintage, as it'll have
a Jack Server by default. And it doesn't look like those

https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/

But don't despair, as if you kick over enough rocks,
you can find stuff.

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/ubuntustudio/12.04.3/release/

I think one source of hair loss, is going to be Python versioning.
I've never been able to figure that stuff out on my own, and
good luck with that :-)

Paul
Jon I
2021-01-25 22:28:01 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Jon I
[...]
Yeah, I've pretty much give up on the Ubuntu side of things. The
desktop was brought out and XP was ready to be loaded except that the
power supply seems burned out. So, trying to look around here for a
replacement. I may have one somewhere in storage. Always used to try
picking up used PC power supplies just to have in situations like this.