any way to Zoom my Logitech C920 either before going into Zoom or during?
Runner
2020-09-28 21:58:43 UTC
After waiting a couple of weeks for a replacement lens for my Logitech
C920, as I lost my original lens, happy that the camera tested well and
autofocus was working in both Cheese and Zoom itself. However, I didn't
realize how wide of an angle the lens is. I did adjust the lens
slightly so that I could get better close ups of my face, but some ugly
background still remains. For now, I have erected a privacy curtain,
but is there any way I can actually zoom in before I actually go into
something like Zoom and retain the zoomed settings? On Win, apparently
allows this, but was about 18.04? Not a deal breaker, but would be
nice. Thanks in advance.
Runner
2020-09-28 22:34:29 UTC
Post by Runner
After waiting a couple of weeks for a replacement lens for my Logitech
C920, as I lost my original lens, happy that the camera tested well and
autofocus was working in both Cheese and Zoom itself.  However, I didn't
realize how wide of an angle the lens is.  I did adjust the lens
slightly so that I could get better close ups of my face, but some ugly
background still remains.  For now, I have erected a privacy curtain,
but is there any way I can actually zoom in before I actually go into
something like Zoom and retain the zoomed settings?  On Win, apparently
allows this, but was about 18.04?  Not a deal breaker, but would be
nice.  Thanks in advance.
Video4Linux seems to be doing it, I think so anyway. Can Zoom up to
200%, but quality degrades (focus not as sharp). Not sure the auto
focus still works. Also, I wonder if there's any way to keep the
settings permanent either after unplugging and/or rebooting? The
program doesn't seem to retain them.
Jonathan N. Little
2020-09-28 23:17:21 UTC
Post by Runner
After waiting a couple of weeks for a replacement lens for my Logitech
C920, as I lost my original lens, happy that the camera tested well and
autofocus was working in both Cheese and Zoom itself.  However, I didn't
realize how wide of an angle the lens is.  I did adjust the lens
slightly so that I could get better close ups of my face, but some ugly
background still remains.  For now, I have erected a privacy curtain,
but is there any way I can actually zoom in before I actually go into
something like Zoom and retain the zoomed settings?  On Win, apparently
allows this, but was about 18.04?  Not a deal breaker, but would be
nice.  Thanks in advance.
Tested using an old Galaxy S5 and an LG G4 laying around added DroidCam
app and there is a Linux client. Works amazingly well. Uses main camera
on phone. Using as IP Camera over WiFi was easy. In 16.04 has to install
mokutil package before running the client installer script.

Getting image via USB is a bit more involved aside of install
android-tools-adb and it was a bit fussy. But I did get it to work.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Paul
2020-09-29 14:34:36 UTC
Post by Runner
After waiting a couple of weeks for a replacement lens for my Logitech
C920, as I lost my original lens, happy that the camera tested well and
autofocus was working in both Cheese and Zoom itself. However, I didn't
realize how wide of an angle the lens is. I did adjust the lens
slightly so that I could get better close ups of my face, but some ugly
background still remains. For now, I have erected a privacy curtain,
but is there any way I can actually zoom in before I actually go into
something like Zoom and retain the zoomed settings? On Win, apparently
allows this, but was about 18.04? Not a deal breaker, but would be
nice. Thanks in advance.
My camera has more hardware capability than

uvcdyncrtl --clist

will admit (camera has optical zoom, no option available).

And it looks like while Skype is running, the
intent of uvcdynctrl (to inject control values while a session
is running), doesn't work. The log in the terminal, does not
suggest everything under the hood is "happy". It's entirely
possible that another camera other than mine, would be happy.

But so far, not impressed. I can't see any other options
to fix this.

I don't know how many times this has happened, but it
always seems to end up with my $10 camera being
"better suited for stuff", than the $100 one. The $10 camera
has no controls and is limited to 640x480. The focus is
fixed at infinity. It's a UVC Class cam. You can never
be unhappy with a lack of software controls, when it doesn't
have any hardware features :-/

I'm really surprised Skype doesn't have some sort of
digital pan/zoom option. But for that to work well, is
more than trivial. The problem is, if you collect a 1600x1200
pixel image from the camera, then crop a specific 640x480
section, the recording rate is 5FPS. If that operation can
be done in-camera ("area of interest extraction"), then
the frame rate can be 30FPS while doing that. Making it
suitable for a conference call. Punting to 5FPS over USB2
is hardly "quality". If only there were more cameras
available at USB3 rates, where it's possible to download
gobs of data and fix it in the computer.