Moji setting question
GrailKing
2020-07-22 15:53:24 UTC
I have Ubuntu 18.04, Peppermint 12 and MX Linux latest:

Many emoji's are showing up as rectangles; I haven't touched any font
settings so what should I check?

TIA
BreninClwyfedig
2020-08-05 07:43:18 UTC
Post by GrailKing
Many emoji's are showing up as rectangles; I haven't touched any font
settings so what should I check?
Check which emojis are showing up as rectangles. New emojis are added
every year. Check if it is the newer emojis which show up as rectangles.

Your fonts may be missing some emojis. Check whether there are updated
fonts. Else, install Symbola version 13.0 (free for personal use only).

The fontconfig database may need updating. Most apps nowadays rely on
the fontconfig library to render fonts.

Perhaps it is a problem with those apps where you see the problem. Check
whether those apps have updated versions.
GrailKing
Thank you.
Paul
2020-08-05 11:13:15 UTC
Post by GrailKing
Many emoji's are showing up as rectangles; I haven't touched any font
settings so what should I check?
TIA
It's emojis. It may require research to pin down.

You can start by saving the emails as files, then have
a look at the binary sequences and look them up on Google.

Make sure the header indicates 8 bit transmission and
not 7 bit transmission, as that may accidentally lop off
the top bit and screw them up. Transport and declarations
don't have to match in the computer world.

But the process starts with saving a message, examining
both header and body text. And feeding body text hex
values into Google, for a considered opinion on what
was supposed to happen.

One platform might be ahead of another platform, in
terms of what additional emoji codes or methods
have been added. That's where the considered opinion
part comes in. If a sequence you entered into Google,
only returns articles about "Apple Mac" or "Apple iPhone",
then you would suspect the ecosystems aren't matched.

The sender is just as likely to have butchered the
message, as your end is.

It's a lot like, in 2020, successfully getting
attachments through an email system unmolested.

Paul
GrailKing