OT: How do I boot this new PC from a flash drive?
bilsch01
2020-09-27 07:44:28 UTC
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?

TIA. Bill S.
jjb
2020-09-27 08:08:00 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA.   Bill S.
In Windows 10 should be an option to reboot into BIOS. I forgot exactly
where (don't have W10 for 2 years now), but somewhere in advanced options.
As long as W10 shutdown is really hibernate you can't reach the BIOS.
RobH
2020-09-27 08:17:56 UTC
Post by jjb
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA.   Bill S.
In Windows 10 should be an option to reboot into BIOS. I forgot exactly
where (don't have W10 for 2 years now), but somewhere in advanced options.
As long as W10 shutdown is really hibernate you can't reach the BIOS.
Try pressing the F12 key just after a reboot, and you should see a boot
menu. there you select the USB drive.

If that doesn't work, then it looks like secure boot is enabled in the
win10 BIOS, which needs to be disabled.
Mark Lloyd
2020-09-27 13:54:40 UTC
Post by RobH
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA.   Bill S.
In Windows 10 should be an option to reboot into BIOS.  I forgot exactly
where (don't have W10 for 2 years now),  but somewhere in advanced
options.
As long as W10 shutdown is really hibernate you can't reach the BIOS.
Try pressing the F12 key just after a reboot, and you should see a boot
menu. there you select the USB drive.
If that doesn't work, then it looks like  secure boot is enabled in the
win10 BIOS, which needs  to be disabled.
If secure boot is enabled, the menu won't show any "legacy" (MBR) boot
devices, but Ubuntu does have a UEFI (GPT) boot (unless you have a
32-bit system) that will be in the menu. If nothing shows, you may need
to use F11 instead of F12. I have one computer like that.
--
89 days until the winter celebration (Fri, Dec 25, 2020 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It is interesting that every time God gives direct orders to anyone, it
is always "Thou shalt kill." Newsweek magazine]
Henry Crun
2020-09-27 08:18:27 UTC
Post by jjb
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA.   Bill S.
In Windows 10 should be an option to reboot into BIOS. I forgot exactly
where (don't have W10 for 2 years now), but somewhere in advanced options.
As long as W10 shutdown is really hibernate you can't reach the BIOS.
Try hitting either <ESC> or F10 repeatedly during boot, (works for me, thogh not on a VIVOBook)
to get to the Win 10 Setup screen, go to advanced and check 'USB boot'

Best: READ THE MANUAL!
--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/
Missile address: N31.7624/E34.9691
Mark Lloyd
2020-09-27 13:57:15 UTC
Post by Henry Crun
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA.   Bill S.
In Windows 10 should be an option to reboot into BIOS.  I forgot exactly
where (don't have W10 for 2 years now),  but somewhere in advanced
options.
As long as W10 shutdown is really hibernate you can't reach the BIOS.
Try hitting either <ESC> or F10 repeatedly during boot, (works for me,
thogh not on a VIVOBook)
to get to the Win 10 Setup screen, go to advanced and check 'USB boot'
Best: READ THE MANUAL!
Good idea, although some actually give instructions during boot (before
the OS is loaded). Mine has something like "Press F2 to enter setup or
F12 for boot menu".

Chris Elvidge
2020-09-27 10:36:51 UTC
Post by jjb
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA. Bill S.
In Windows 10 should be an option to reboot into BIOS. I forgot exactly
where (don't have W10 for 2 years now), but somewhere in advanced options.
As long as W10 shutdown is really hibernate you can't reach the BIOS.
Press F2 (well it is on my X550C (repeatedly, perhaps)) at the ASUS
screen when booting.
Chris Elvidge, England
Johnny
2020-09-27 12:46:34 UTC
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 00:44:28 -0700
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot
Ubuntu Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power
up time for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how
to access boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA. Bill S.
With the computer turned off, press and hold the F2 key. While still
holding the F2 key, turn the computer on, and don't release the F2 key
until the BIOS screen is displayed.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008829/

My computer is an HP with UEFI settings, and turning Secure Boot off
wasn't enough to allow booting from a flash drive. I had to also
disable the MS UEFI CA key.
Mike Easter
2020-09-27 15:52:15 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot
Ubuntu Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power
up time for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how
to access boot options or system setup on this new PC?
With the computer turned off, press and hold the F2 key. While still
holding the F2 key, turn the computer on, and don't release the F2 key
until the BIOS screen is displayed.
Well; that's different. I had to see it for myself.
Post by Johnny
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008829/
I also had doubts that there was something you could do in Win10 to get
there as jjb said, but that page has a vid to do it.

It turns out that there are a number of different vivobooks, so I wasn't
able to get the manual w/o the modelno.
Johnny
2020-09-27 16:03:07 UTC
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 08:52:15 -0700
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Johnny
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008829/
I also had doubts that there was something you could do in Win10 to
get there as jjb said, but that page has a vid to do it.
It turns out that there are a number of different vivobooks, so I
wasn't able to get the manual w/o the modelno.
I have been doing that for a long time. Some people say, start the
computer and repeatedly press the key. That's just luck if it works.
bilsch01
2020-09-28 07:32:20 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot
Ubuntu Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power
up time for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how
to access boot options or system setup on this new PC?
With the computer turned off, press and hold the F2 key.  While still
holding the F2 key, turn the computer on, and don't release the F2 key
until the BIOS screen is displayed.
Well; that's different.  I had to see it for myself.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008829/
I also had doubts that there was something you could do in Win10 to get
there as jjb said, but that page has a vid to do it.
The video was informative. Thanks.
My PC is an ASUS VivoBook F512JA-OH36
Mike Easter
2020-09-28 11:58:22 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Mike Easter
It turns out that there are a number of different vivobooks, so I
wasn't able to get the manual w/o the modelno.
My PC is an ASUS VivoBook F512JA-OH36
Their manual wasn't helpful.

Another site said that Asus notebooks have secure boot enabled by
default. When you get to the bios/uefi as described earlier, in bios
mode there is a security tab (4th item after main, advanced, boot) which
has an item which says either secure boot or secure boot control which
should be selected and disabled.

Or, in UEFI mode, you first go to Advanced, then the security tab, then
secure boot (control) to disable.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042711/ ASUS Notebooks implement the
Microsoft Secure Boot feature by default.

While you are in there, there is also the boot tab.
bilsch01
2020-09-28 07:41:25 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot
Ubuntu Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power
up time for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how
to access boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA. Bill S.
With the computer turned off, press and hold the F2 key. While still
holding the F2 key, turn the computer on, and don't release the F2 key
until the BIOS screen is displayed.
This (above) is very good to know.
Post by Johnny
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008829/
My computer is an HP with UEFI settings, and turning Secure Boot off
wasn't enough to allow booting from a flash drive. I had to also
disable the MS UEFI CA key.
Is this a registry key? Can you tell me more exactly what it is. Of
course it won't translate directly to my system, but I'd like to know
just for reference.
Johnny
2020-09-28 13:13:52 UTC
Post by Johnny
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008829/
My computer is an HP with UEFI settings, and turning Secure Boot off
wasn't enough to allow booting from a flash drive. I had to also
disable the MS UEFI CA key.
Is this a registry key? Can you tell me more exactly what it is. Of
course it won't translate directly to my system, but I'd like to know
just for reference.
I don't know anything about Window's registry.

On my computer it is in the UEFI firmware settings, under
Advances/Secure Boot/ Secure Boot Keys.

One other thing, once you install Ubuntu, run sudo update-grub, and the
UEFI Firmware Settings will appear in the grub menu, and you can access
it that way.

It works that way for me, and my grub menu has Linux Mint, MX Linux and
UEFI Firmware Settings.
Paul
2020-09-27 21:49:14 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA. Bill S.
There are two hot keys on computers:

1) A key which causes entry to the BIOS setup screen
2) A key which causes the "popup boot" menu to appear on the screen.
This menu is convenient for temporarily booting from
things like USB sticks.

If the Splash Screen on the product is turned off, it makes it
easier to see the boot text. The first screen of BIOS POST
text usually includes a prompt at the bottom of the screen,
listing the two hot key values.

Companies tend to be internally consistent on control design.
The Dell BIOS designs share a lot from machine to machine,
at their peril. You expect the same keys to work on all
the Dells. But different than the key choices on all
the HP machines.

If you have an Asus, and I have a Dell, me telling you
the two keys I use, is a waste of time. You need to find
an Asus computing device article to see what they use.
On Asus *retail motherboards*, it is <del> and F8.
Some other brand I've got here, it's F2 and F12.

There are only a few key choices they can use, as they
try to avoid using the Airport Mode key or the Volume Up
or Volume Down hotkeys for boot controls. While there
are odd choices for the keys, there aren't an infinite
number of combinations, just a very large finite number
of combinations :-)

User manuals are a good thing...

Paul
wicklowham
2020-09-28 15:20:10 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot Ubuntu
Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power up time
for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how to access
boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA.   Bill S.
=========================
Your machine is currently booting from the Hard drive. I you wish to
boot from a USB stick or (external ) hard drive you need to set the
booting order in the machine's BIOS accordingly, if possible . For older
PCs there is no BIOS option to boot from a USB device .

Frank in County Wicklow-Ireland
Jonathan N. Little
2020-09-28 17:03:00 UTC
Post by wicklowham
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot
Ubuntu Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power
up time for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how
to access boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA.   Bill S.
=========================
Your machine is currently booting from the Hard drive. I you wish to
boot from a USB stick or (external ) hard drive you need to set the
booting order in the machine's BIOS accordingly, if possible . For older
PCs there is no BIOS option to boot from a USB device .
Apparently ASUS does not give you an select boot device hotkey as other
vendors, Dell, Lenovo, etc. Looks like you have to set in BIOS in the
only way.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Paul
2020-09-28 19:43:09 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by wicklowham
Post by bilsch01
I have a new ASUS VivoBook with Win 10 installed. I want to boot
Ubuntu Live USB, also Knoppix USB but there is no prompt during power
up time for choosing an alternate boot device. Any body here know how
to access boot options or system setup on this new PC?
TIA. Bill S.
=========================
Your machine is currently booting from the Hard drive. I you wish to
boot from a USB stick or (external ) hard drive you need to set the
booting order in the machine's BIOS accordingly, if possible . For older
PCs there is no BIOS option to boot from a USB device .
Apparently ASUS does not give you an select boot device hotkey as other
vendors, Dell, Lenovo, etc. Looks like you have to set in BIOS in the
only way.
There is no popup boot key ?

The Asus manual stinks (I downloaded for a look).

*******

And I would not buy an Asus product if they
won't make a decent manual for it. You download
the manual before the purchase and decide whether
they did their homework or not.

If the manual is missing/useless, it's possible the product
isn't even made by Asus, and is just an ODM product
with an Asus sticker on it. ODM selling to OEM selling
to customer is a common thing, and like Power Supplies,
if you need to meet a price point, sometimes you
would say, go to ECS and have them make a laptop
for you. Or if you wanted something expensive,
pouring out heat, you'd have Clevo make one.
Clevo do stuff like laptops with dual MXM in SLI
for gamers.

The Asus ODM division might be Pegatron. And Asus
OEMs computers as if they were a Dell or something.

The electronics industry is full of stuff that makes
no sense. And as consumers, we have to "use a strainer
to remove the chunks". Be selective and reward makers
who put the work into it.

If you buy a Seasonic ATX supply, if the price was
say $40, then Seasonic probably did not make it on their
own production line, but they bought it from someone else.
Even though Seasonic would make all the more expensive
stuff in their own factory (they're not known for cheating,
except for really cheap stuff). Companies like Antec on
the other hand, buy all their supplies. Antec doesn't
make supplies. It uses ODMs for all of them, like
Channelwell (CWT) or Delta. It is possible for power
supply companies to be successful at this - PCPowerAndCooling
had a good rep before being bought out.

This is a lot like stereos when you were a kid.
You would drool over a Marantz or pour hatred on
a Harmon Kardon or whatever, when in fact the
units you were waxing quixotic about were coming
off the very same soldering line.

I've even had this happen with PC sound cards.
I bought two cards, thinking they were coming
from "competing companies". An "Inspected By"
sticker on the two cards, that sticker was *identical*.
So much for "spreading around my purchases". I
could tell the cards had come from the same plant.

Paul
Jonathan N. Little
2020-09-28 20:14:19 UTC
Post by Paul
There is no popup boot key ?
It appears so.
Post by Paul
The Asus manual stinks (I downloaded for a look).
Did the same, yep.
--
Take care,

Jonathan