boot problem, then new install
RobH
2020-09-17 11:32:10 UTC
I had ubuntu 18.04 on a`120Gb ssd for a a couple of years and and I
moved my home folder to a 1Tb hdd.

Last night my system was a bit sluggish when openeing files etc, so I
chose to reboot the pc. Once into the reboot/shutdown part it stalled
with some message about inode on sdc5, so I did a hard reboot, but that
didn't make much difference, as the same or similar message like this:

/dev/sda5: recovering journal
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX...

and stayed like that for hours.

This morning I did a fresh install of ubuntu 20.04 onto a 256Gb ssd.

Now i would like to either point my existing home folder to the old
home folder on the hdd, or move all the files from the old home back to
the new home.

Any pointers on what is the best way.

Thanks
RobH
2020-09-17 13:18:40 UTC
Post by RobH
I had ubuntu 18.04 on a`120Gb ssd for a a couple of years and and I
moved my home folder to a 1Tb hdd.
Last night my system was a bit sluggish when openeing files etc, so I
chose  to reboot the pc. Once into the reboot/shutdown part it stalled
with some message about inode on sdc5, so I did a hard reboot, but that
/dev/sda5: recovering journal
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX...
and stayed like that for hours.
This morning I did a fresh install of ubuntu 20.04 onto a 256Gb ssd.
Now i would like to either point my  existing home folder to the old
home folder on the hdd, or move all the files from the old home back to
the new home.
Any pointers on what is the best way.
Thanks
A followup:
Previously my 1Tb HD was labeled as sda5, but now it is labeled as sdc5

Running sudo blkid shows:
/dev/sdc5: UUID="bbfaeb41-32e9-415e-97a1-7524004d31cb" TYPE="ext4"
PARTUUID="fb985253-05"

My /etc/fstab file shows:

# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=b0ba81af-7d55-4040-90e6-8e9fc0b4599f / ext4
errors=remount-ro 0>
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=C898-CB64 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
/swapfile none swap sw 0
0 >

When I add this to the fstab file:
UUID=bbfaeb41-32e9-415e-97a1-7524004d31cb /rob ext4
then run mount -a, it returns

mount: /rob: mount point does not exist.

Thanks
Jonathan N. Little
2020-09-17 13:42:31 UTC
Post by RobH
Post by RobH
[...]
Because you must create a directory on / to be the mount point first
before connecting to partition. Also /rob should be /home/rob if you
want to restore your profile. See my other post. Else if you just want
to mount it for transferring data to ssd then I would create a mount
point under /mnt or /media

sudo mkdir /mnt/oldhome

sudo mount /dev/sdc5 /mnt/oldhome

Then navigate to /mnt/oldhome/rob and copy over what you want.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Wes Newell
2020-09-17 13:46:37 UTC
Post by RobH
Post by RobH
[...]
If you want to mount the hdd on /rob you have to create the mount point
/rob.
sudo mkdir /rob
--
http://wesnewell.ddns.net
https://github.com/wesnewell/Functionality
Jonathan N. Little
2020-09-17 13:32:33 UTC
Post by RobH
I had ubuntu 18.04 on a`120Gb ssd for a a couple of years and and I
moved my home folder to a 1Tb hdd.
Last night my system was a bit sluggish when openeing files etc, so I
chose  to reboot the pc. Once into the reboot/shutdown part it stalled
with some message about inode on sdc5, so I did a hard reboot, but that
/dev/sda5: recovering journal
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX
/dev/sda5: Clearing orphaned inode XXXXXX...
and stayed like that for hours.
This morning I did a fresh install of ubuntu 20.04 onto a 256Gb ssd.
Now i would like to either point my  existing home folder to the old
home folder on the hdd, or move all the files from the old home back to
the new home.
Any pointers on what is the best way.
It is pretty simple to "connect" your home folder to the 1T spinner. I
am assuming that currently you have everything on the ssd under a single
partition "/". I am going to assume it is something line /dev/sda1.

posting your fstab would make it easier to help you but let's assume
your current ssd is one partition and your 1T old home is sdb1

/dev/sda1 (ssd /)
/dev/sdb1 (1T old /home)

1) Boot system with 1 TB drive connected

2) Open a terminal

3) rename /home directory
sudo mv /home /oldhome

4) create mount point for new home
sudo mkdir /home

5) backup fstab
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup

6) edit fstab to mount 1T drive as home add line
# 1T drive as home adjust device partition to match your hardware
/dev/sdb1 /home ext4 defaults 0 2

7) mount it
sudo mount -a

Now you should be on your old home.

NOTES:
Now if you want to use UUIDs in your fstab you can get the associated
UUID with command:
sudo blkid

Then you can edit fstab and substitute
/dev/sdb1
with
UUID=[whatever_partition_uuid_id]

Since you did a new install on the ssd, if your system has more than one
user account for the above to work you must be sure user ID and user UID
are the same. In other words you created the user accounts in the same
order. If not you will have to adjust the profile directories with the
correct numeric IDs for ownership

example OLD was

rob 1000
sally 1001
john 1002

but new is

rob 1000
john 1001
sally 1002

You can fix sally and john's profiles by setting them to the new numeric ID

sudo chown -Rv 1001:1001 /home/john
sudo chown -Rv 1002:1002 /home/sally
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
RobH
2020-09-17 15:16:53 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by RobH
[...]
Thanks, that did it, so simple as well!
No, I just wasn't sure what to do or how to do it to get my old home
back again.

One thing tho' isn't working right, and that is libre office base.
I have a few base files which I use often, but when I try to open one
now, I get a message saying:
The connection to the data source "base filename" could not be established.
How do I fix that.

Thanks
RobH
2020-09-17 16:21:42 UTC
Post by RobH
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by RobH
[...]
I fixed it with:
sudo apt install libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb

Thanks
Jonathan N. Little
2020-09-17 16:51:53 UTC
Post by RobH
Post by RobH
One thing tho' isn't working  right, and that is libre office base.
I have a few base files which I use often, but when I try to open one
The connection to the data source "base filename" could not be established.
How  do I fix that.
Thanks
sudo apt install libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb
I think the current versions of LibreOffice do not install Base by
default. Glad you worked it out.

Mounting a new home is SO easy in Linux whereas it is so complicated in
Windows.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
RobH
2020-09-17 18:01:43 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by RobH
Post by RobH
One thing tho' isn't working  right, and that is libre office base.
I have a few base files which I use often, but when I try to open one
The connection to the data source "base filename" could not be established.
How  do I fix that.
Thanks
sudo apt install libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb
I think the current versions of LibreOffice do not install Base by
default. Glad you worked it out.
Mounting a new home is SO easy in Linux whereas it is so complicated in
Windows.
No it didn't install Base by default and I had to install it from the
ubuntu software.

I'll make a note of what to do if I have to go through the process again
of mounting my /home folder.

Thanks again