OT: where is this thunderbird setting?
bilsch01
2020-11-21 03:51:42 UTC
This PC boots Win10 and Ubuntu 20.04.
My newsgroup provider is eternal-september. I have no other.
I have only one user name with eternal-september.

My question concerns the results returned when I type something in the
Thunderbird search box for 'manage newsgroup subscriptions' for the news
server.

On my Ubuntu system when I type the word 'security' it shows 20 news
groups from:

adobe.livecycle.document.security

to:

cn.comp.security

On my Win10 system when I type the word 'security' it shows the same 20
groups followed by many many more that come later in the alphabet.

Maybe the number 20 is set somewhere in the Ubuntu system, but I can't
find it.

Does anyone here know what causes the difference, and how I can fix this?

TIA. Bill S.
Ralph Fox
2020-11-21 07:27:41 UTC
Post by bilsch01
This PC boots Win10 and Ubuntu 20.04.
My newsgroup provider is eternal-september. I have no other.
I have only one user name with eternal-september.
My question concerns the results returned when I type something in the
Thunderbird search box for 'manage newsgroup subscriptions' for the news
server.
On my Ubuntu system when I type the word 'security' it shows 20 news
adobe.livecycle.document.security
cn.comp.security
On my Win10 system when I type the word 'security' it shows the same 20
groups followed by many many more that come later in the alphabet.
Maybe the number 20 is set somewhere in the Ubuntu system, but I can't
find it.
Does anyone here know what causes the difference, and how I can fix this?
TIA. Bill S.
Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, Thunderbird 68.10.0
When I type the word 'security' I see many more than 20 groups,
including groups that come later in the alphabet.

Could this be a problem operating the scrollbar in Ubuntu? The list
of 'security' groups is so long it needs to be scrolled through, using
either the scrollbar or some other means. See this screen-shot:
Kind regards
Ralph
bilsch01
2020-11-21 07:51:40 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
<https://i.imgur.com/pInHI7u.gif>
Without using the scroll bar it shows 15 lines. Scrolling only goes down
5 more lines.
Henry Crun
2020-11-21 09:58:06 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
TB 68.10.0 (64-bit) on UB 20.04
list goes down to "uwo.comp,security" (didn't count; more than 20)
Have you tried clicking the "Refresh" box?
--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/
Missile address: N31.7624/E34.9691
bilsch01
OK. CLICKING 'REFRESH' FIXES PROBLEM. THANKS EVERYONE.
philo
2020-11-22 18:07:11 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Henry Crun
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
Glad that worked.

Whenever I get stumped I just start clicking on things :)

bilsch01
2020-11-21 08:03:28 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
Maybe I have a broken Thunderbird. How can I uninstall it and install a
fresh one?
Chris Elvidge
2020-11-21 10:35:58 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
For older versions:
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

or if you want to reinstall the version that ubuntu provides
apt-get install --reinstall thunderbird

I stick to using an old version (52.2.1) and set "never check for
updates" in advanced preferences/options.
Chris Elvidge, England
Ralph Fox
2020-11-21 18:58:15 UTC
Post by Chris Elvidge
Post by bilsch01
Maybe I have a broken Thunderbird. How can I uninstall it and install a
fresh one?
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/
or if you want to reinstall the version that ubuntu provides
apt-get install --reinstall thunderbird
Uninstalling and re-installing Thunderbird may not help, when Thunderbird
will still pick up the same user profile data with the same incomplete
newsgroup list.

1. First thing to try is click the "Refresh" button on the newsgroup
subscriptions window (as Henry and philo have replied). That will
re-download a fresh copy of the newsgroups list.

2. If #1 doesn't work, delete or rename the .thunderbird directory in
the user's home directory (as Chris has replied). That will remove
the user's user profile data for Thunderbird.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
bilsch01
2020-11-21 19:57:57 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Chris Elvidge
Post by bilsch01
Maybe I have a broken Thunderbird. How can I uninstall it and install a
fresh one?
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/
or if you want to reinstall the version that ubuntu provides
apt-get install --reinstall thunderbird
Uninstalling and re-installing Thunderbird may not help, when Thunderbird
will still pick up the same user profile data with the same incomplete
newsgroup list.
1. First thing to try is click the "Refresh" button on the newsgroup
subscriptions window (as Henry and philo have replied). That will
re-download a fresh copy of the newsgroups list.
2. If #1 doesn't work, delete or rename the .thunderbird directory in
the user's home directory (as Chris has replied). That will remove
the user's user profile data for Thunderbird.
Thanks. I noted this useful info in my archives.

Bill S.
Paul
2020-11-21 10:50:12 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
Check your scroll bar. Should look like this.

The scroll bar, as far as I know, is a decoration,
and that's why I would not suspect reinstalling TBird
would help. You'd want to check that your other windows
have scroll bars and that they're functional. Maybe
your DE needs some assistance or tuning.

My picture was taken in MINT20.

Paul
bilsch01
2020-11-21 19:59:38 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by bilsch01
 https://i.postimg.cc/yxwfc7Vz/tbird.gif
The scroll bar, as far as I know, is a decoration,
and that's why I would not suspect reinstalling TBird
would help. You'd want to check that your other windows
have scroll bars and that they're functional. Maybe
your DE needs some assistance or tuning.
My picture was taken in MINT20.
   Paul
Thanks. I noted this useful information in my archives.

Bill S.
Chris
2020-11-21 12:16:33 UTC
Post by bilsch01
This PC boots Win10 and Ubuntu 20.04.
My newsgroup provider is eternal-september. I have no other.
I have only one user name with eternal-september.
My question concerns the results returned when I type something in the
Thunderbird search box for 'manage newsgroup subscriptions' for the news
server.
On my Ubuntu system when I type the word 'security' it shows 20 news
adobe.livecycle.document.security
cn.comp.security
On my Win10 system when I type the word 'security' it shows the same 20
groups followed by many many more that come later in the alphabet.
Maybe the number 20 is set somewhere in the Ubuntu system, but I can't
find it.
Does anyone here know what causes the difference, and how I can fix this?
TIA.   Bill S.
Before reinstalling Thunderbird, you might want to try deleting or
renaming the .thunderbird directory in your home directory. Thunderbird
will now create a fresh profile for you when started.
Chris
bilsch01
2020-11-21 20:02:54 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by bilsch01
[...]
Thanks. I noted this info in my linux notes.

Bill S.
philo
2020-11-21 14:47:54 UTC
Post by bilsch01
This PC boots Win10 and Ubuntu 20.04.
My newsgroup provider is eternal-september. I have no other.
I have only one user name with eternal-september.
My question concerns the results returned when I type something in the
Thunderbird search box for 'manage newsgroup subscriptions' for the news
server.
On my Ubuntu system when I type the word 'security' it shows 20 news
adobe.livecycle.document.security
cn.comp.security
On my Win10 system when I type the word 'security' it shows the same 20
groups followed by many many more that come later in the alphabet.
Maybe the number 20 is set somewhere in the Ubuntu system, but I can't
find it.
Does anyone here know what causes the difference, and how I can fix this?
TIA.   Bill S.
Try hitting "refresh"