Thunderbird killfile
Michael F. Stemper
2021-01-29 19:11:50 UTC
I just tried to set up t-bird to kill articles that are cross-posted to
alt.atheism.

A message of that type had focus.

I selected "Message / Create filter from message..."

The first dropdown under Match ... had the following options:
- From
- Subject
- Date
- Size (KB)
- Customize...

I selected the "Customize..." dialog and added a New message header,
Newsgroups. After closing that dialog, the first dropdown now
included "Newsgroups". I then created a new filter that looks like:

Newsgroups contains: alt.atheism

Finally, I clicked "Run Now".

Nothing happened. No error messages in the log, no changes in the
articles shown.

I've repeatedly gone through the dialog, spell- checking and
sanity-checking. I even tried changing the header from "Newsgroups" to
"Newsgroup". No difference.

I can't find anything obviously wrong, so I appear not to have properly
understood the kill mechanism.

Is somebody willing to help me figure this out?
--
Michael F. Stemper
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
azigni
2021-01-29 19:47:53 UTC
I see it is quite a busy group. I imagine filtering by any of the choices
won't work either.

Just a guess as I don't use Thunderbird for ntp, but you are trying to
filter on a newsgroup name, something Thunderbird is not able to do.
Grant Taylor
2021-01-29 20:11:47 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
I just tried to set up t-bird to kill articles that are cross-posted
to alt.atheism.
A message of that type had focus.
I selected "Message / Create filter from message..."
I've not used this method to create filters. I generally go to Tools ->
Message Filters -> New
Post by Michael F. Stemper
  - From
  - Subject
  - Date
  - Size (KB)
  - Customize...
Newsgroups existed in the drop down.
Post by Michael F. Stemper
I selected the "Customize..." dialog and added a New message header,
Newsgroups. After closing that dialog, the first dropdown now included
I don't know if there is a conflict between the Newsgroups header that
you added and -- what I think -- is built in or not.
Post by Michael F. Stemper
  Newsgroups contains: alt.atheism
That makes sense to me.
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Finally, I clicked "Run Now".
Did you set an action?
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Nothing happened. No error messages in the log, no changes in the
articles shown.
There is a chance that the filter works, and that the action chosen was
already done. E.g. marking a message a read does nothing on a message
that has already been read.
Post by Michael F. Stemper
I've repeatedly gone through the dialog, spell- checking and
sanity-checking. I even tried changing the header from "Newsgroups"
to "Newsgroup". No difference.
I can't find anything obviously wrong, so I appear not to have properly
understood the kill mechanism.
Is somebody willing to help me figure this out?
Sure.

Please provide the details of the rule's contents from Tools -> Message
Filters -> Edit for the rule in question.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Michael F. Stemper
2021-01-29 20:55:33 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
I just tried to set up t-bird to kill articles that are cross-posted
to alt.atheism.
A message of that type had focus.
I selected "Message / Create filter from message..."
I've not used this method to create filters.  I generally go to Tools ->
Message Filters -> New
I didn't know about that approach, but now I do.
Post by Michael F. Stemper
   Newsgroups contains: alt.atheism
That makes sense to me.
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Finally, I clicked "Run Now".
Did you set an action?
"Delete Message" came pre-set.

It appears to have been a headers issue, since when I went back into the
newsgroup with the unwanted cross-posts, running the filter worked.

Thanks all.
--
Michael F. Stemper
Always use apostrophe's and "quotation marks" properly.
Grant Taylor
2021-01-29 20:13:30 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Is somebody willing to help me figure this out?
I've had some filters fail to work unless I tell Thunderbird to
synchronize the newsgroup.

I think it has to do with what data the filters run on. Specifically I
think they run against the local data. Which synchronizing populates.
Not all headers are populated before the message is loaded.

Remember, news is only downloading the minimum before the message is read.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Mike Easter
2021-01-29 20:35:21 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
[...]
When Tb gets a list of msg 'headers' to populate the thread pane, it
gets a rather small subset of headers which are in the overview.

A typical overview is such as this:
list overview.fmt
215 Order of fields in overview database.