pdf experiences
Add Reply
gamo
2021-03-09 12:13:39 UTC
After a lot of time using xsane with the options
color, 150 dots and using gigantic 4 MB/page,
I choose color, 100 dots and the result is about
half the weight, worth the change in most cases.
xsane uses pdf version 1.4

Now the mistery: in the current LibreOffice I made
a page and export it to a pdf version 1.5
The page contains text, a table, and a pair of png
Using evince after, to view and print, I encounter
the problem that I can see the page good in screen
but it does not print the final of the page with
one table and a png. So what's up? An evince problem
or a malformed pdf?

TIA
--
http://gamo.sdf-eu.org/
perl -E 'say "Press return to continue";'
Anton Ertl
2021-03-10 08:38:30 UTC
Post by gamo
Using evince after, to view and print, I encounter
the problem that I can see the page good in screen
but it does not print the final of the page with
one table and a png. So what's up? An evince problem
or a malformed pdf?
Or maybe a problem with the print pipeline or the printer. I have had
quite a number of cases where printing choked at a specific page in a
document; sometimes it then worked if I printed only starting at that
page. My guess was that the printer ran out of memory, but I never
investigated it in depth.

In any case, for your case the question is in what format the page is
sent to the printer; in PDF, or converted by the print pipeline to
some other format. If the latter, you could investigate the converted
format (e.g., if it's Postscript, do Postscript viewers display it?).

You could also try to convert the document to another format with
various tools, and look if the result displays with a viewer and
prints with the printer.

- anton
***@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen
2021-03-10 10:53:34 UTC
Post by Anton Ertl
Post by gamo
[...]
The ones I might try:

mutool trace

ghostscript (so you can look for stack dumps or something)

While there are other tools, not all the tools are "expressive"
enough. And hide how things are going.

It's probably just a broken print pipeline, if Evince shows
a perfectly good picture on the screen.

Paul
gamo
2021-03-10 15:06:08 UTC
Post by gamo
[...]
Thank you both.

So, if probably the printer pipe is broken I should try a good old
reset. Correct?
Paul
2021-03-10 16:17:10 UTC
Post by gamo
Post by Paul
Post by Anton Ertl
Post by gamo
[...]
I don't know printing well enough, to comment on that.
About all I can suggest, is turning on as much logging
as you can manage, so there is an evidence trail.

Paul
Anton Ertl
2021-03-11 09:13:20 UTC
Post by gamo
So, if probably the printer pipe is broken I should try a good old
reset. Correct?
I was thinking about permanent breakage (like a converter not being
able to grok the PDF), but sure, it's also possible that you have some
temporary problem. But the typical print-manager stuff (e.g., CUPS) is
written to keep state over reboots, so it's a little more involved to
get it unstuck.

gamo
2021-03-16 05:26:14 UTC
Post by Anton Ertl
Post by gamo
So, if probably the printer pipe is broken I should try a good old
reset. Correct?
I was thinking about permanent breakage (like a converter not being
able to grok the PDF), but sure, it's also possible that you have some
temporary problem. But the typical print-manager stuff (e.g., CUPS) is
written to keep state over reboots, so it's a little more involved to
get it unstuck.
- anton
Maybe there is no that kind of breakage.
I set the printer to 1200HQ and the pdf only is printed on 600dpi
Problems that something appairs and something not maybe for this

Thank you
Big Bad Bob
2021-03-23 15:58:51 UTC
Post by gamo
Post by Anton Ertl
Post by gamo
So, if probably the printer pipe is broken I should try a good old
reset. Correct?
I was thinking about permanent breakage (like a converter not being
able to grok the PDF), but sure, it's also possible that you have some
temporary problem.  But the typical print-manager stuff (e.g., CUPS) is
written to keep state over reboots, so it's a little more involved to
get it unstuck.
- anton
Maybe there is no that kind of breakage.
I set the printer to 1200HQ and the pdf only is printed on 600dpi
Problems that something appairs and something not maybe for this
sounds more like a scaling issue. Print is by millimeters/inches, and
not by dot pitch. The PDF is scaled in millimeters/inches as well, and
the viewer will scale the print accordingly. Did you look at 'Print
Preview' to see what it was trying to do? Just curious. Print Preview
should match what the printer is doing. If not, maybe you need to check
your CUPS drivers to see that they're the right ones. Print some test
pages and other documents with other programs, etc..
--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"
gamo
2021-03-25 01:42:44 UTC
Post by gamo
Maybe there is no that kind of breakage.
I set the printer to 1200HQ and the pdf only is printed on 600dpi
Problems that something appairs and something not maybe for this
sounds more like a scaling issue.  Print is by millimeters/inches, and
not by dot pitch.  The PDF is scaled in millimeters/inches as well, and
the viewer will scale the print accordingly.  Did you look at 'Print
Preview' to see what it was trying to do?  Just curious.  Print Preview
should match what the printer is doing.  If not, maybe you need to check
your CUPS drivers to see that they're the right ones.  Print some test
pages and other documents with other programs, etc..
NO.

If (in doubt) { goto SOLVED; }
--
http://gamo.sdf-eu.org/
perl -E 'say "Code could contain bugsh";'
Big Bad Bob
2021-03-23 15:55:37 UTC
print a test page with CUPS maybe
Big Bad Bob
2021-03-23 15:54:16 UTC
Post by Anton Ertl
Post by gamo
[...]
O.P. could also load atril and try printing the PDF file with that...

(I have pretty good success printing PDF files iwth Atril)

I stopped using Evince a while back since I use Mate on everything, and
Evince seems a bit bloated to me.