Pan crash?
Add Reply
Notta Goodidea
2020-11-16 16:54:07 UTC
I am sending this from a Windows newsreader because I am apparently
having Pan crash on me in Linux. I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a
USB hard drive installation hooked to a HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF
computer. Everything else seems to be stable. I set my news server and
it comes up remembering that configuration. But when I am browsing the
articles here in alt.os.linux.ubuntu everything in Pan disappears and
the list of open applications no longer shows Pan. Has anyone else had
a problem like this? Thanks.
Dirk T. Verbeek
2020-11-16 17:37:37 UTC
Post by Notta Goodidea
I am sending this from a Windows newsreader because I am apparently
having Pan crash on me in Linux. I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a
USB hard drive installation hooked to a HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF
computer. Everything else seems to be stable. I set my news server and
it comes up remembering that configuration. But when I am browsing the
articles here in alt.os.linux.ubuntu everything in Pan disappears and
the list of open applications no longer shows Pan. Has anyone else had
a problem like this? Thanks.
I'm running Pan 0.146 on Kubuntu and have no problems.
Purging before a fresh install might work.
Make sure /home/.pan2 is deleted.
TR
2020-11-17 08:52:00 UTC
Post by Dirk T. Verbeek
Post by Notta Goodidea
I am sending this from a Windows newsreader because I am apparently
having Pan crash on me in Linux. I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a
USB hard drive installation hooked to a HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF computer.
Everything else seems to be stable. I set my news server and it comes
up remembering that configuration. But when I am browsing the articles
here in alt.os.linux.ubuntu everything in Pan disappears and the list
of open applications no longer shows Pan. Has anyone else had a problem
like this? Thanks.
I'm running Pan 0.146 on Kubuntu and have no problems.
Purging before a fresh install might work.
Make sure /home/.pan2 is deleted.
I couldn't run Pan 0.146 and had to install v. 0.145 (Linux Mint 20).

TR
Cybe R. Wizard
2020-11-17 14:42:29 UTC
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 18:37:37 +0100
Post by Dirk T. Verbeek
Post by Notta Goodidea
I am sending this from a Windows newsreader because I am apparently
having Pan crash on me in Linux. I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a
USB hard drive installation hooked to a HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF
computer. Everything else seems to be stable. I set my news server
and it comes up remembering that configuration. But when I am
browsing the articles here in alt.os.linux.ubuntu everything in Pan
disappears and the list of open applications no longer shows Pan.
Has anyone else had a problem like this? Thanks.
I'm running Pan 0.146 on Kubuntu and have no problems.
Purging before a fresh install might work.
Make sure /home/.pan2 is deleted.
/home/<USER>/.pan2 ???
--
Cybe R. Wizard

My other computer is a HOLMES IV with the Mycroft OS
My other car is a Chandler MetalSmith Mark III
Cybe R. Wizard
Dirk T. Verbeek
As I wrote:/home/.pan2
Paul
2020-11-17 18:08:51 UTC
Post by Dirk T. Verbeek
Post by Notta Goodidea
I am sending this from a Windows newsreader because I am apparently
having Pan crash on me in Linux. I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a
USB hard drive installation hooked to a HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF
computer. Everything else seems to be stable. I set my news server
and it comes up remembering that configuration. But when I am
browsing the articles here in alt.os.linux.ubuntu everything in Pan
disappears and the list of open applications no longer shows Pan.
Has anyone else had a problem like this? Thanks.
I'm running Pan 0.146 on Kubuntu and have no problems.
Purging before a fresh install might work.
Make sure /home/.pan2 is deleted.
/home/<USER>/.pan2 ???
As I wrote:/home/.pan2
$HOME/.pan2 ???

echo $HOME

/home/bullwinkle

Paul
Dirk T. Verbeek
2020-11-17 22:34:29 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Dirk T. Verbeek
Post by Notta Goodidea
I am sending this from a Windows newsreader because I am apparently
having Pan crash on me in Linux. I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a
USB hard drive installation hooked to a HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF
computer. Everything else seems to be stable. I set my news server
and it comes up remembering that configuration. But when I am
browsing the articles here in alt.os.linux.ubuntu everything in Pan
disappears and the list of open applications no longer shows Pan.
Has anyone else had a problem like this? Thanks.
I'm running Pan 0.146 on Kubuntu and have no problems.
Purging before a fresh install might work.
Make sure /home/.pan2 is deleted.
/home/<USER>/.pan2  ???
As I wrote:/home/.pan2
$HOME/.pan2 ???
echo $HOME
/home/bullwinkle
   Paul
I just rechecked and indeed my Kubuntu install uses
/home/.pan2

The Neon install (Dual booting) is different with
/home/<USER>/.pan2

I never paid attention to this but yes it's a little curious.
Anssi Saari
2020-11-18 06:32:14 UTC
Post by Dirk T. Verbeek
I just rechecked and indeed my Kubuntu install uses
/home/.pan2
The Neon install (Dual booting) is different with
/home/<USER>/.pan2
I never paid attention to this but yes it's a little curious.
More than a little. Usually normal users can't write to $HOME... I
quickly installed pan on my Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and it created $HOME/.pan2
with settings. No /home/.pan2 was created.
Paul
2020-11-16 19:13:42 UTC
Post by Notta Goodidea
I am sending this from a Windows newsreader because I am apparently
having Pan crash on me in Linux. I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a
USB hard drive installation hooked to a HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF
computer. Everything else seems to be stable. I set my news server and
it comes up remembering that configuration. But when I am browsing the
articles here in alt.os.linux.ubuntu everything in Pan disappears and
the list of open applications no longer shows Pan. Has anyone else had
a problem like this? Thanks.
Open a terminal

$ pan

By launching from the command line, when pan
disappears on you, there could be an error message
printed to stderr in the Terminal window.

Copy and paste the error message into a text file,
using xed or gedit or similar. Save to a place
you can open in Windows, then post the error
message to us from Windows.

You can click the Windows C: drive in Ubuntu and it will
mount, and that's how you can copy your text message for
when Windows boots. NTFS partitions are a way of sharing
files between OSes. You don't need any tricks with
floppy diskettes or USB sticks.

The purpose of collecting the error message, is
so you can Google for something similar. The address 0x123456
type info might be perfectly useless, but other text
strings might be unique enough to get a hit in Google.

One of the versions of Pan was causing grief, and people
using it, backed off to the previous version as a
workaround. Maybe when we see your error message,
that will tweak some memories.

Another solution, would be to use Thunderbird
and use the USENET capability in there. You could
then post without using Windows at all.

You could also get an old copy of Forte Agent that
was free, and run it from WINE :-) That's if you
run out of hobbies or something.

Paul
azigni
2020-11-25 21:21:51 UTC
The time has come. I removed Pan, installed Evolution for my email
accounts and now use Thunderbird for nntp. Sad.
Mike Easter
2020-11-25 23:14:42 UTC
Post by azigni
The time has come. I removed Pan, installed Evolution for my email
accounts and now use Thunderbird for nntp. Sad.
Evolution's claim to fame compared to Tb is related to MS's Exchange server.

Altho' Tb has some weaknesses as a news client, I like how it handles
format=flowed and its rewrap feature.

But, if one wanted real filtering w/ scoring and wildcards and regex,
they would have to look elsewhere.
Notta Goodidea
2020-11-28 20:38:30 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Notta Goodidea
[...]
It never occurred to me to run pan from the command line or to use
Thunderbird to read newsgroups. After running pan in the terminal I got:

***@HP-ProDesk-600-G1-SFF:~$ pan
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
news.pan.NZB was not provided by any .service files

(pan:42669): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:21:36.667: Unable to parse accelerator
'<constrol>O' for action 'import-tasks'
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

...so I decided to see how Thunderbird works in newsgroups and it seems
to be working. Thank you for the suggestions.
GrailKing
2021-03-02 01:43:00 UTC
Post by Notta Goodidea
Post by Paul
Post by Notta Goodidea
[...]
I downgraded to .145 works fine.
The latest Pan doesn't allow posting in 20.04
I was told Pan developer has to update .
azigni
2021-03-02 05:44:38 UTC
Post by GrailKing
Post by Notta Goodidea
...so I decided to see how Thunderbird works in newsgroups and it seems
to be working. Thank you for the suggestions.
I downgraded to .145 works fine.
The latest Pan doesn't allow posting in 20.04 I was told Pan developer
has to update .
I keep a copy of .Pan2 in another directory. Then if pan crashes, I copy
it into /Home/User directory.

It is only certain posts that make Pan crash. Some I think, are by
design, because after all, what else do people have to do with their time
other than show their brilliance at taking advantage of a well known bug?
Rex Libris
2021-04-03 07:31:35 UTC
On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 14:38:30 -0600
Post by Notta Goodidea
...so I decided to see how Thunderbird works in newsgroups and it
seems to be working. Thank you for the suggestions.
You might want to look at Sylpheed Claws as well?