geiger counter pulse capture and graphing in Ubuntu?
Add Reply
Hem Jung
2021-03-26 18:01:37 UTC
I was wondering if there were any -preferably free- programs that work
under Ubuntu that capture pulses from the serial port produced by a
geiger counter and can log and graph the data obtained? Thanks in advance
Paul
2021-03-27 07:33:58 UTC
Post by Hem Jung
I was wondering if there were any -preferably free- programs that work
under Ubuntu that capture pulses from the serial port produced by a
geiger counter and can log and graph the data obtained? Thanks in advance
This looks as good a place to start, as any.

http://www.noah.org/wiki/GM-45

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 raw ispeed 57600 ospeed 57600 cs8 -ignpar -cstopb -echo
while true; do read -n 1 serial_byte < /dev/ttyUSB0; date --utc "+%C%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S UTC"; done

The character value stored in "serial_byte" is being ignored.
The "event" arriving is a pulse of a certain width. It
does not matter what the character value is, because the
character is just the downward-going pulse from the Geiger Muller tube.
The character does not contain any intelligence. No processor
made that character.

Say for example, there are 10 gamma rays per second received
by the GM tube. The time stamp output might look like...

2021-03-26 17:38:20
... repeated nine more times
2021-03-26 17:38:21
... repeated nine more times

The temporal resolution is sufficient to calculate, in a
round about way, that the rate is ten pulses per second.

If this was my toy, I would bring in the signal on LineIn,
using the 1/8" analog plug. The waveform recorded, might
make it easier to understand what comes in via the RS232
adapter. In terms of "timestamped events".