Libreoffice Writer Flickering
Dave
2020-09-25 13:44:52 UTC
Just got notified that some of my users that upgraded to LO 7 are having
a problem with the left pane (Page info) flickering. Just confirmed it.
What gives and how to stop that behavior?
LO 7
Ubuntu 18.04

Dave
Melzzzzz
2020-09-25 15:33:40 UTC
Post by Dave
Just got notified that some of my users that upgraded to LO 7 are having
a problem with the left pane (Page info) flickering. Just confirmed it.
What gives and how to stop that behavior?
Hm what is page info and how to find it?
Post by Dave
LO 7
Ubuntu 18.04
Dave
--
current job title: senior software engineer
skills: c++,c,rust,go,nim,haskell...

U ničemu ja ne uživam kao u svom statusu INVALIDA -- Zli Zec
Svi smo svedoci - oko 3 godine intenzivne propagande je dovoljno da jedan narod poludi -- Zli Zec
Na divljem zapadu i nije bilo tako puno nasilja, upravo zato jer su svi
bili naoruzani. -- Mladen Gogala
Paul
2020-09-25 17:37:14 UTC
Post by Dave
Just got notified that some of my users that upgraded to LO 7 are having
a problem with the left pane (Page info) flickering. Just confirmed it.
What gives and how to stop that behavior?
LO 7
Ubuntu 18.04
Dave
LibreOffice has a fetish about OpenGL presentation of
materials, when "simple 2D will do".

Carry out a check for hardware acceleration. Try a flavor of
GLXGears call, that gives a higher rate.

glxgears # useless, locked to refresh, 60FPS

vblank_mode=0 glxgears # early version of vsync suppression

__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 glxgears # recent version of vsync suppression, 10000FPS
# if NVidia driver binary blob is loaded, tests
# an OpenGL rendering of gears.

inxi -G # review driver situation

Picture of me testing. Only LO 6.x on this thing, so not
a test candidate.

If the machine returns 10,000 to 20,000, then there's
a good chance the machine is a hardware accelerated
graphics box. If the numbers are several hundred to a thousand,
then maybe the machine uses fallback CPU code for OpenGL,
and that's the box that's going to flicker. (Nothing *has*
to flicker, but poorly thought out presentation code will.)

The "inxi -G" would be more definitive.

I was annoyed when I first discovered OpenGL was used
for LO Calc charts, but like a disease, they just can't
stop with the OpenGL. "A DTP tool with CAD hardware requirements."
Needs the same hardware as an AutoCAD user? Yikes!

Anyway, that's what I'd investigate. It should also flicker
in a VirtualBox session then, too, at a guess.