OT: name/path to ThunderBird newsgroup msg filters?
Add Reply
bilsch01
2021-03-29 14:13:26 UTC
I just setup TBird on another PC and I want to transfer files that have
the newsgroup message filters, but I don't know the name or path for them.

TIA Bill S.
Michael F. Stemper
2021-03-29 14:52:16 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I just setup TBird on another PC and I want to transfer files that have
the newsgroup message filters, but I don't know the name or path for them.
***@hostname$ cd ~/.thunderbird
***@hostname$ ls
Crash Reports installs.ini s08os12t.default
Pending Pings profiles.ini um12yefm.default-release
***@hostname$ # Look for directory matching "*default-release"
***@hostname$ cd um12yefm.default-release
/home/username/.thunderbird/um12yefm.default-release
***@hostname$ cd News
/home/username/.thunderbird/um12yefm.default-release/News
***@hostname$ ls
news.eternal-september.org newsrc-news.eternal-september.org
news.eternal-september.org.msf
***@hostname$ # I assume that if you have more than one USENET
***@hostname$ # provider, there will be stuff here for each
***@hostname$ cd news.eternal-september.org
/home/username/.thunderbird/um12yefm.default-release/News/news.eternal-september.org
***@hostname$ ls rec*
rec.arts.books.tolkien.dat rec.arts.sf.written.dat rec.sport.archery.dat
rec.arts.books.tolkien.htm rec.arts.sf.written.htm
rec.arts.books.tolkien.msf rec.arts.sf.written.msf
***@hostname$ # It's the *.dat files that have the filter info.
***@hostname$ # You'll probably want the entire News directory.
***@hostname$
--
Michael F. Stemper
Why doesn't anybody care about apathy?
Mike Easter
2021-03-29 15:42:23 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I just setup TBird on another PC and I want to transfer files that have
the newsgroup message filters, but I don't know the name or path for them.
Tb can show you the way to your profile folder:

Tb/ Help/ Troubleshooting information/ Profile directory/ Open directory
button

If you don't have Help menu, you can use Hamburger icon/ Help

In the profile dir there is News/ <name of your news server such as
reader02.eternal-september.org dir> / msg.FilterRules.dat
2021-03-29 17:08:23 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by bilsch01
I just setup TBird on another PC and I want to transfer files that
have the newsgroup message filters, but I don't know the name or path
for them.
Tb/ Help/ Troubleshooting information/ Profile directory/ Open directory
button
If you don't have Help menu, you can use Hamburger icon/ Help
In the profile dir there is News/ <name of your news server such as
reader02.eternal-september.org dir> / msg.FilterRules.dat
There is a .dat file for a whole server,
as well as a .dat file per newsgroup.

The per newsgroup file is normally empty, and
has around 27 bytes or so. There'a a couple lines
of declarative text that don't do anything in
the files. If a filter rule is added to the .dat,
the file size will be bigger than the 27 byte number.

You can edit the .dat files with a text editor,
if you wanted to remove a rule behind the back
of Thunderbird.

Until the filtering questions came up, I didn't even
know the .dat files had a purpose :-)

2021-03-29 17:27:47 UTC
Post by Paul
There is a .dat file for a whole server,
as well as a .dat file per newsgroup.
When you are making a filter, you can make it for a group or for the
server account.