Mint 20.04. Errors reported every startup
pinnerite
2021-03-13 19:36:14 UTC
I have a very erratic Intel Powered Mint 20.04 machine.
Every time it comes up, it reports one or more errors and asks if I want to report it/them. I nearly always do but that gets me nowhere.

The most significant lines in the crash reports are:

PythonArgs: ['/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher']
Traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher", line 74, in <module>
if confirm_restart():
File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher", line 34, in confirm_restart
d = Gtk.MessageDialog(title=None, parent=None, flags=0, message_type=Gtk.MessageType.WARNING)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 319, in new_init
return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 577, in __init__
self._init(*args, **new_kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 319, in new_init
return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 520, in __init__
raise RuntimeError(
RuntimeError: Gtk couldn't be initialized. Use Gtk.init_check() if you want to handle this case.
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin mysql mythtv plugdev sambashare sudo
_LogindSession: c1

Unfortunately I cannot understand why they show up and not my other mint powered machines.

Suggestions please.
--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
The Sidhe
2021-03-13 20:09:06 UTC
Post by pinnerite
a very erratic Intel Powered Mint 20.04 machine
You already have the answer, Intel does not like Linux,
I wont bother to ask what it prefers, this breaches the
question, in order to continue to use these modern
machines you must use their choice of software, hardware
and current narratives, I say save those old precessors
and figure out how to use them on the newer mother
boards.
Mike Easter
2021-03-13 20:30:42 UTC
Post by The Sidhe
Intel does not like Linux,
Where did you get that idea?

Personally for my hardware purchases I lean toward AMD, but Intel does
like linux.

There's a reddit discussion w/ scores of comments "AMD or Intel CPU:
Which has better linux support?"

Linus Torvalds needs a powerful machine and he recently switched to an
AMD powered one rather than his traditional Intel.

Intel dev/s a great linux OS for its own 'purposes' which has better
performance on Intel CPUs than other linux distro/s -- Clear OS.

There are just over 2 dozen top tier corporate sponsors considered
'Platinum' by contributing over $0.5 mil annually to the Linux
Foundation of which Intel is one. AMD is down there at Silver which is
something less than $100k.
The Sidhe
2021-03-13 21:15:33 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
at Silver which is something less than $100k.
All your talk of corporate takeovers diminishes my
thoughts, what:about:your thoughts about the hardware
required to keep channels open, how do you imagine the
communication industry will survive, have you succomed
to this modern day belief you have my prayer
Mike Easter
2021-03-13 22:49:06 UTC
Post by The Sidhe
All your talk of corporate takeovers diminishes my
thoughts, what:about:your thoughts about the hardware
required to keep channels open, how do you imagine the
communication industry will survive, have you succomed
to this modern day belief you have my prayer
I don't know how to parse these statements into a coherent stream; it
reminds me of some of Flasherly's.

While there are certainly corporate 'takeovers' all over the place; I
wasn't talking of any.

I can't say about my thoughts about hardware to keep channels open
because I don't know which channels you are referring.

The communication industry seems to be doing grandly; sat/s of every
orbital type everywhere and proliferating, wireless cells going ever
faster and faster. I even use my home's old twisted copper for
telephoning with more features than ever for 'free' (piggy-backed onto
my broadband internet connectivity via a device and Google Voice) when
previously I was paying $60/mo for 2 old AT&T lines which were extremely
hard for AT&T to troubleshoot when they had problems. Now I have more
than 2 functional lines including both cell and VoIP.

The most modern hardware works fine on linux. I'll post an example of
an article from a few years ago 2016 Sep in which there was a mistaken
reporting that some Intel & AMD CPUs weren't supporting linux but only
Win10.

https://www.theregister.com/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/?ma=1505520015001
Latest Intel, AMD chips will only run Windows 10 ... and Linux, BSD, OS X

That is, the report that Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Zen chips only
supported Win10 actually meant that earlier *Wins* weren't supported.

The fact is that older Win users sometimes have a harder problem w/ such
as drivers for newer hardware than do linux users. The worm has turned.
DanS

You let it pass as the incoherent useless drivel it is, and move on to the next post.
The Sidhe
2021-03-14 15:35:30 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
w/ such as drivers for newer hardware than do linux
users. The
Post by Mike Easter
worm has turned.
My point was how hardware is being employed to censor
everything but the state approved information. Yes
there are many sats which relay information to
anywhere on this planet, but it is being shaped by
some people who only wish you listen to thier analysis
of world events. What good can come from an endless
stream of propaganda, when eventually whatever channel
you seek to educate yourself will contain the same
identical script. See bitly https://wp.me/p2vCQD-o59i
In the post What would happen if Usenet went away?
pinnerite
2021-03-14 19:16:42 UTC
On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 19:36:14 +0000
Post by pinnerite
[...]
None of the responses relate to the question and seem to have gone off on a personal crusade.

Well, I forced reinstalls of cinnamon and python3. I couldn't work out what to do about gtk. Nothing obvious worked. I had to reboot a coupl of times because I needed kernel ..... 54 to avoid having to compile my TBS DVB-TV drivers.

As before an error message box showed up inviting me to report it. Other than that, so far it is working and there are no new log messages in /var/crash although my work machine serving as a remote TV frontend has had a couple of brief disconnect/reconnect spots with the backend on the intel box.

However it always takes between one and three days to seize up if it is going to.

Regarding the AMD/Intel duel:

It so happens that I usually choose AMD processors. At the moment, apart from an unused redundant netbook, this is my only Intel processor based machine.

The mothernoard was chosen because at the time it was the only one available in micro-ATX format with on-board wi-fi, graphics and a free PC1e-16 slot. The core-i3 processor was selected because of its low TDP of 55W. I continue not to find an AMD powered equivalent.