Need inspiration.
Add Reply
RobH
2021-04-06 15:47:58 UTC
Presently my Ubuntu 20.4 bootup system is on a 256Gb ssd and my /home
folder is on a 750gb partition on a 2nd spinning disk.

I have been contemplating moving over to an Intel NUC with a M.2 SSD and
a 2nd SSD if it is possible.

I've seen a couple of NUCs that fit my needs, but I'm not sure how to go
about doing or moving the present setup over to the NUC.

What is my best option, if any at all.
azigni
2021-04-06 18:34:41 UTC
The last SSD I purchased was ~$50 for 500 gigs. I would buy and purchase
a new SSD for what you are using now. No need to spend that much $ for a
NUC.
RobH
2021-04-06 19:58:47 UTC
Post by azigni
The last SSD I purchased was ~$50 for 500 gigs. I would buy and purchase
a new SSD for what you are using now. No need to spend that much $ for a
NUC.
The thing is tho' I still would like to keep my /home folder on a
separate drive

My setup is all in a large tower when I was using 4 HD's, but now they
are not needed, and just would like to go smaller.
azigni
2021-04-06 21:33:06 UTC
Okay, I too am using a tower. I have my Linux (Debian) on an SSD I put
in. I also put in an old 1 gig rust drive that I use for /home. The
Windows SSD and hard drive are disconnected as I do not use them.

You can reconfigure your home drive to a separate drive, but I found it
faster to re-install and select the rust drive as home.

If you wish to tinker, you can redirect /home, but of you do not save
yourself the frustration and re-install. gl
Abandoned_Trolley
2021-04-07 15:58:51 UTC
Post by azigni
The last SSD I purchased was ~$50 for 500 gigs. I would buy and purchase
a new SSD for what you are using now. No need to spend that much $ for a
NUC.
The thing is tho'  I still would like to keep my /home folder on a
separate drive
My setup is all in a large tower when I was using 4 HD's, but now they
are not needed, and just would like to go smaller.
If "going smaller" is the primary driver for this exercise, then why not
consider one of those mini desktop PCs ?

A few years ago I picked up a Dell Optiplex (760 I think) in a charity
shop. Its in a fairly small desktop case and has a proprietay
motherboard arrangement. I managed to find a low profile graphics card
for it so that I can use twin screens and it performed OK when I stuck a
quad core CPU in it and uprated the memory.

I remember at the time I got on to the Dell web site and discovered that
these macines came in 4 different case sizes, and that mine was NOT the
smallest.

Heres the useful bit though ... I took out the 3.5 inch spinning rust
drive and replaced it with a pair of 2.5 inch drives. On eBay I found an
adaptor widget for a few quid which holds a pair of 2.5 inch drives in a
cage which then fits in to the hole vacated by the 3.5 inch drive.

This particular case has a blanking plate to cover a 2nd 3.5 inch space,
probably intended for a floppy. So the end result is a compact sized PC
with space for 4 hard drives - I would guess that its half the size of
my tower case.

Anyway, its just one way to cater for your desire for more physical
drives in a smaller case.

You have not said anything about what the machine is used for or what
sort of CPU horsepower or memory you would like, so its a bit difficult
to be any more specific.

AT
RobH
2021-04-07 16:08:19 UTC
Post by Abandoned_Trolley
Post by azigni
[...]
thanks for that.

My machine / setup is in a Fractal Design R4 case, and has 16gb of DDR3
and a i5 cpu on a gigabyte ATX board.
I only use it for web browsing and base programs now.
I'll have a look at the optiplex cases.

Abandoned_Trolley
2021-04-06 20:56:36 UTC
Post by RobH
Presently my Ubuntu 20.4 bootup system is on a 256Gb ssd and my /home
folder is on a 750gb partition on a 2nd spinning disk.
I have been contemplating moving over to an Intel NUC with a M.2 SSD and
a 2nd SSD if it is possible.
I've seen a couple of NUCs that fit my needs, but I'm not sure how to go
about doing or moving the present setup over to the NUC.
What is my best option, if any at all.
First, I would take a deep dive in to the hardware spec.

Out in the world of "real motherboards" some Intel chipsets limit the
number of high speed SATA ports and in some cases the use of M.2 media
means that the SATA 3 ports are disabled.

You may have to fit the SSD on to a slower SATA port - in other words,
you might not be able to use 6Gb/s SATA AND M.2 at the same time.

IMHO when you consider the cost and aggravation of the transfer to the
NUC any M.2 of less than 1TB would be a waste of time.

Also, dont forget that not all M.2 slots are large enough to accept the
longer 110mm media.

My guess is that you are going to be saying goodbye to the 256Gb drive.

AT
RobH
2021-04-06 21:56:19 UTC
Post by Abandoned_Trolley
Post by RobH
[...]
Fair comment that and I take what you are saying.
I'll leave things as they are then now.

Thanks
ray
2021-04-07 14:50:26 UTC
Post by RobH
Presently my Ubuntu 20.4 bootup system is on a 256Gb ssd and my /home
folder is on a 750gb partition on a 2nd spinning disk.
I have been contemplating moving over to an Intel NUC with a M.2 SSD and
a 2nd SSD if it is possible.
I've seen a couple of NUCs that fit my needs, but I'm not sure how to go
about doing or moving the present setup over to the NUC.
What is my best option, if any at all.
In the past, I have had several occasions to migrate disks and/or
systems. I have used partimage to do so. Backing up and then restoring.