Tried Mate with 18.04, no network
RobH
2020-12-23 15:05:39 UTC
I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 /5 years now and have been quite
happy with it.
I have just tried the Mate desktop environment, and while it's
different, it doesn't see my NAS server.

So I went back the Ubuntu desktop environment, which does see my NAS server.

I would have thought that there would be no difference with the network
just switching desktop environments, but it seems like there is.
Mike Easter
2020-12-23 17:13:05 UTC
Post by RobH
I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 /5 years now and have been quite
happy with it.
I have just tried the Mate desktop environment, and while it's
different, it doesn't see my NAS server.
So I went back the Ubuntu desktop environment, which does see my NAS server.
I would have thought that there would be no difference with the network
just switching desktop environments, but it seems like there is.
Is the NAS a windows share?

The caja help system has a section on using caja's file menu to access a
'remote server' (such as windows share).

Does using the Go menu or the Browse network help?
RobH
2020-12-23 18:53:39 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by RobH
I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 /5 years now and have been quite
happy with it.
I have just tried the Mate desktop environment, and while it's
different, it doesn't see my NAS server.
So I went back the Ubuntu desktop environment, which does see my NAS server.
I would have thought that there would be no difference with the
network just switching desktop environments, but it seems like there is.
Is the NAS a windows share?
The caja help system has a section on using caja's file menu to access a
'remote server' (such as windows share).
Does using the Go menu or the Browse network help?
Yes the NAS server does have Windows share
Brows Network shows my NAS server, but as freenas(ftp) and unknown type

I found the section in help about connecting to server, but when the
said box comes up there is no where to enter my login details etc.
I entered the server IP address but got permission denied when I pressed
connect.
RobH
2020-12-23 20:02:44 UTC
Post by RobH
Post by Mike Easter
Post by RobH
[...]
Ok, I figured it out.
I missed the dropdown box in the connect to server before . Once I
entered my login details the NAS server was seen / available.
Jonathan N. Little
2020-12-23 18:20:24 UTC
Post by RobH
I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 /5 years now and have been quite
happy with it.
I have just tried the Mate desktop environment, and while it's
different, it doesn't see my NAS server.
So I went back the Ubuntu desktop environment, which does see my NAS server.
I would have thought that there would be no difference with the network
just switching desktop environments, but it seems like there is.
If memory serves me we have gone down this road before with a mismatch
for samba version protocols. If the NAS is running older NT1 but your
clients min is SMB2 or SMB3 it will be a no go. So the best way to
resolve this is to see what the servers MIN|MAX is and what the client's
(desktop with Mate) is using for its client protocol MIN|MAX.

Post results from server:

testparm -s | grep protocol

And then post the results from same command from a terminal on the
client (desktop with Mate)

testparm -s | grep protocol
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
RobH
2020-12-23 18:41:03 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
testparm -s | grep protocol
From NAS server:

***@freenas:~ # testparm -s | grep protocol
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

server min protocol = NT1
***@freenas

From Client (desktop PC)

***@rob-Z97:~$ testparm -s | grep protocol
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
RobH
2020-12-23 20:08:05 UTC
Post by RobH
Post by Jonathan N. Little
testparm -s | grep protocol
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
    server min protocol = NT1
From Client (desktop PC)
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
I figured it out and once I entered my login details for a windows share
type , it came up / appeared.

The 2 folders I wanted access to on the server, appeared on my desktop.
I assume now that they will always be there, which would be great.