Set IP address with VBoxManage for Ubuntu in Virtualbox VM?
Rbwd
2020-10-20 01:30:43 UTC
How can I start Ubuntu VM with VBoxManage and set ip address in terminal?

I can do it later inside Ubuntu VM, but it is easy in terminal with
VBoxManage.
I not asking for DHCP or anything like that, I need static address for
this networking lab before VMs start.

sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
or
sudo ip addr add 192.168.0.1/24 dev eth0
and
sudo ip link set eth0 up
Bit Twister
2020-10-20 05:09:12 UTC
Post by Rbwd
How can I start Ubuntu VM with VBoxManage and set ip address in terminal?
Putting
vboxmanage commands
in the first box at
https://www.google.com/advanced_search
gets me
About 537,000 results (0.41 seconds)

Picking the first link, I would try searching for fixed-address
Rbwd
2020-10-21 00:26:45 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Rbwd
How can I start Ubuntu VM with VBoxManage and set ip address in terminal?
Putting
vboxmanage commands
in the first box at
https://www.google.com/advanced_search
gets me
About 537,000 results (0.41 seconds)
Picking the first link, I would try searching for fixed-address
Great, thank you.

With people like you in linux community, more people in the whole world
will left Window 10 and turn to linux and use it.
People have time to RTFM and spend whole day for experiments.
When you car break, do you RTFM and spend days for repair!

Is it possible to set static IP in terminal for VM?
Paul
2020-10-21 00:58:57 UTC
Post by Rbwd
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Rbwd
How can I start Ubuntu VM with VBoxManage and set ip address in terminal?
Putting
vboxmanage commands
in the first box at
https://www.google.com/advanced_search
gets me
About 537,000 results (0.41 seconds)
Picking the first link, I would try searching for fixed-address
Great, thank you.
With people like you in linux community, more people in the whole world
will left Window 10 and turn to linux and use it.
People have time to RTFM and spend whole day for experiments.
When you car break, do you RTFM and spend days for repair!
Is it possible to set static IP in terminal for VM?
What you're missing, is the VirtualBox networking options
are "rich", and there might be some interaction between
the networking scenario outside the VM (like, when using
multiple VMs on a private virtual LAN segment) and what is
going on inside the machine.

You know in Windows as an OS, you can disable DHCP and
enter static information. And I would expect using the
Linux NetManager dialog you could do similar things.
The OS does not submerge the details of networking,
ever. The users would not stand for it.

VirtualBox has a PDF manual available on the main web
site. It covers a ton of (mostly irrelevant) network
scenarios, intended for specific application niches.
Just setting a static IP inside the client, should
be sufficient for the "home user" type scenarios. The
few I looked at out of the 537,000 Google results, did not
seem to be that same scenario, and the networking
setup required multiple steps in multiple places
(inside and outside the VM).

I don't see any VBoxManage or even any manual edits
of .vbox, that give a simple way of forcing the
Guest to only do what we want. It doesn't seem to
work that way. And VirtualBox contains plenty of stuff
only suited to science experiments.