OT: Can't find the right Thunderbird setting
bilsch01
2021-01-14 07:58:40 UTC
The font of reading and writing of newsgroup messages is very small and
I would like to make it larger. It used to be larger. To display the
tabs along the top of the screen I click "write" because I don't know
any other way to get the tabs displayed - but it works. With tabs
displayed I click "edit" then "preferences" then "display". There is a
setting for font size there but no matter what I set it to it never
changes the font size. Does anybody know how to change the font size?

TIA. Bill S.
chovy
2021-01-14 08:22:38 UTC
Post by bilsch01
The font of reading and writing of newsgroup messages is very small and
I would like to make it larger. It used to be larger. To display the
tabs along the top of the screen I click "write" because I don't know
any other way to get the tabs displayed - but it works. With tabs
displayed I click "edit" then "preferences" then "display".  There is a
setting for font size there but no matter what I set it to it never
changes the font size. Does anybody know how to change the font size?
TIA.   Bill S.
just do ctrl-+ to increase and ctrl - to decrease.
- chovy
bilsch01
2021-01-14 09:39:58 UTC
Post by chovy
Post by bilsch01
The font of reading and writing of newsgroup messages is very small
and I would like to make it larger. It used to be larger. To display
the tabs along the top of the screen I click "write" because I don't
know any other way to get the tabs displayed - but it works. With tabs
displayed I click "edit" then "preferences" then "display".  There is
a setting for font size there but eno matter what I set it to it never
ok I got some of the settings. thanks.
Ralph Fox
2021-01-14 09:03:55 UTC
Post by bilsch01
The font of reading and writing of newsgroup messages is very small and
I would like to make it larger. It used to be larger. To display the
tabs along the top of the screen I click "write" because I don't know
any other way to get the tabs displayed - but it works. With tabs
displayed I click "edit" then "preferences" then "display". There is a
setting for font size there but no matter what I set it to it never
changes the font size. Does anybody know how to change the font size?
In Thunderbird, go to: Edit >> Preferences >> Display.
Select the "Formatting" tab.
At the right of "Fonts & Colors", click the "Advanced" button.

You will now see a pop-up. At the top of this pop-up is a drop-down
labelled "Fonts for:".

Each script (writing system) in the "Fonts for:" drop-down has its own
separate font settings underneath, including its own separate font sizes.

At a bare minimum you will need to increase the font sizes for both
"Latin" and "Other Writing Systems". You may also want to increase
some of the others, for example if you read or write Cyrillic or Greek.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
🦊
bilsch01
2021-01-14 10:09:23 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
The changes I make affect panes I am writing in, but for just reading it
is all really small. It is giving me a head ache. Like when I read your
post it is really small, but when I click "follow up" your writing and
the response I am writing are in the larger size I just set in
edit/preferences. After I send this everything I read will be in the
really small font size. Reading size is really small. Writing size is
controlled by settings.

Why do they have
Jonathan N. Little
2021-01-14 14:55:48 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
[...]
Edit > Preferences > General > Fonts & Encodings ? Minimum font size:

Set it to something comfortable for you.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
bilsch01
2021-01-14 15:18:22 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
[...]
I've got 68.10.0 and don't have Minimum font size setting. What version
do you have?
Chris Elvidge
2021-01-14 16:30:15 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by bilsch01
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
In my 68.12 the sequence is:
HamburgerMenu / Preferences / Preferences / Display / Formatting / Advanced
which brings up 'Fonts and Encodings' page.
Here set fonts and sizes for both 'Latin' and 'Other Writing Systems'
Check 'Minimum font size' is set in BOTH.
--
Chris Elvidge
England
bilsch01
2021-01-14 18:20:49 UTC
Post by Chris Elvidge
Post by bilsch01
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
[...]
OKay. THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM. THANKS.

Jonathan N. Little
2021-01-14 16:32:53 UTC
<snip>
Post by bilsch01
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Set it to something comfortable for you.
I've got 68.10.0 and don't have Minimum font size setting. What version
do you have?
I was referencing 78 but it is still there in 68 but under Display section:

<http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/tb68.12>
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
Paul
2021-01-14 17:11:01 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by bilsch01
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by bilsch01
[...]
This is a 68.7 and Display setting.

Johnny
2021-01-14 15:33:32 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 23:58:40 -0800
Post by bilsch01
The font of reading and writing of newsgroup messages is very small
and I would like to make it larger. It used to be larger. To display
the tabs along the top of the screen I click "write" because I don't
know any other way to get the tabs displayed - but it works. With
tabs displayed I click "edit" then "preferences" then "display".
There is a setting for font size there but no matter what I set it to
it never changes the font size. Does anybody know how to change the
font size?
TIA. Bill S.
Under Language Appearance/Advanced/Fonts, change the Fonts from Latin
to Other Writing Systems.

I don't use Thunderbird, but When I did, I remember being told to do
this, and it worked.