ReactOS
Dr. Noah Bodie
2020-10-13 23:45:20 UTC
A Windows substitute that can run from a pen drive.
It's not yet in Beta but it *may* run some Win apps better than WINE.

https://reactos.org/

https://reactos.org/gallery/

Gonna try this later!
Paul
2020-10-14 00:42:39 UTC
Post by Dr. Noah Bodie
A Windows substitute that can run from a pen drive.
It's not yet in Beta but it *may* run some Win apps better than WINE.
https://reactos.org/
https://reactos.org/gallery/
Gonna try this later!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

Initial release 1998; 22 years ago
Latest preview 0.4.13 alpha

What does that tell you ?

Paul
Yrrah
2020-10-14 12:17:18 UTC
Post by Paul
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
Initial release 1998; 22 years ago
Latest preview 0.4.13 alpha
What does that tell you ?
That these fellows are very, very thorough? ;-)

It's a useless project and a waste of time imho.

Yrrah
Bobbie Sellers
2020-10-14 14:31:34 UTC
Post by Yrrah
Post by Paul
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
Initial release 1998; 22 years ago
Latest preview 0.4.13 alpha
What does that tell you ?
That these fellows are very, very thorough? ;-)
It's a useless project and a waste of time imho.
Yrrah
Do not deride other's hobbies.
Every year or so ReactOS releases another
update. Sooner or later thay may have
a fully working release.

bliss
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
philo
2020-10-14 22:45:21 UTC
Post by Yrrah
Post by Paul
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
Initial release 1998; 22 years ago
Latest preview 0.4.13 alpha
What does that tell you ?
That these fellows are very, very thorough? ;-)
It's a useless project and a waste of time imho.
Yrrah
No harm in fooling with it but fairly useless.
It's sort of an Alpha version of Win2k
Dr. Noah Bodie
That it's a toy to be played with. :-D :-D
Jimmy Johnson
2020-10-20 05:57:46 UTC
Post by Dr. Noah Bodie
Post by Paul
Post by Dr. Noah Bodie
A Windows substitute that can run from a pen drive.
It's not yet in Beta but it *may* run some Win apps better than WINE.
https://reactos.org/
https://reactos.org/gallery/
Gonna try this later!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
Initial release 1998; 22 years ago
Latest preview 0.4.13 alpha
What does that tell you ?
Paul
That it's a toy to be played with. :-D :-D
Pay attention to the hardware support, may find a show stopper.
--
Jimmy Johnson

AntiX KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263
Big Bad Bob
2020-10-14 11:40:56 UTC
Post by Dr. Noah Bodie
A Windows substitute that can run from a pen drive.
It's not yet in Beta but it *may* run some Win apps better than WINE.
https://reactos.org/
https://reactos.org/gallery/
Gonna try this later!
sadly, it's barely workable whenever I try it, and the network support
is pathetic. icons always auto-re-arrange on the desktop, half the
stuff I try (things not in the package manager) don't seem to work right.

FYI the WINE devs are heavily cooperating with ReactOS already. And
with the problems I've found on WINE (specifically, NOT being able to
run 32-bit and 64-bit side by side and too many downloaded binaries
REQUIRING 64-bit but maybe having 32-bit components, too, so it outright
FAILS to work), not the least mention of what it did to my paths and the
setting up of a bunch of '.desktop' files pointing to Wine versions of
things, so uninstall was even MORE painful...

Yeah I'm not too happy with the status of those projects. But it has
been a couple of years since I tried setting up Wine (for development)
on a Mint system. Maybe the latest Ubu or Mint would work ok? [my
hopes are prepared to be dashed, though]
--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"
Johnny
2020-10-14 14:39:51 UTC
On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 04:40:56 -0700
Post by Big Bad Bob
Post by Dr. Noah Bodie
A Windows substitute that can run from a pen drive.
It's not yet in Beta but it *may* run some Win apps better than WINE.
https://reactos.org/
https://reactos.org/gallery/
Gonna try this later!
sadly, it's barely workable whenever I try it, and the network
support is pathetic. icons always auto-re-arrange on the desktop,
half the stuff I try (things not in the package manager) don't seem
to work right.
They accomplished what they set out to do, it's just like Windows.