Discussion:
Problems after disabling lightdm
(too old to reply)
Bischoop
2021-01-07 22:55:45 UTC
Permalink
I've Xubuntu 20.04, I wanted to set log in in terminal and then going to
Xfce. So I've done: "systemctl disable lightdm". Reboot and indeed log
in terminal, but startx didn't start, had to do 'startxfce4', desktop
looked kinda difference, fonts more blurry I could describe, also after
switching terminal (ctrl+Alt+F1) and back to Xfce4 touchpad in my laptop
stoped working, just the buttons worked.
So I tought I go back to lightdm.
sudo systemctl enable lightdm showed me a notice:
---------------------
Synchronizing state of lightdm.service with SysV service script with
/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable lightdm
The unit files have no installation config (WantedBy=, RequiredBy=,
Also=,
Alias= settings in the [Install] section, and DefaultInstance= for
template
units). This means they are not meant to be enabled using systemctl.

Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
• A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another
unit's
.wants/ or .requires/ directory.
• A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit
which has
a requirement dependency on it.
• A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path,
timer,
D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).
• In case of template units, the unit is meant to be enabled with
some
instance name specified.
------------------------
With quick googling I've found I should do:
sudo systemctl unmask lightdm and then sudo systemctl daemon-reload.
I've done so, but still same.
Also what I've noticed after all of this, when tried run newsgroup
client slrn I had to set up again News enfironment althoght I've it set
in .profile.

Any solution for this?

--
Thansk
azigni
2021-01-07 23:07:44 UTC
Permalink
On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 22:55:45 +0000, Bischoop wrote:

Unfortunately, Mint was not put together to be used any other way than
out of the box.

I think you would be happier with a terminal centric Linux you can modify
to your needs?
Bischoop
2021-01-07 23:17:06 UTC
Permalink
On 2021-01-07, azigni <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 22:55:45 +0000, Bischoop wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, Mint was not put together to be used any other way than
> out of the box.
>
> I think you would be happier with a terminal centric Linux you can modify
> to your needs?
>
Replying in wrong thread?
azigni
2021-01-07 23:57:44 UTC
Permalink
On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 23:17:06 +0000, Bischoop wrote:
> Replying in wrong thread?

Right thread, wrong Linux, same advice. I think you might look into Arco
Linux or Arch, where you can build up rather than build down.

Building up is easier than building down.
Bischoop
2021-01-08 01:49:06 UTC
Permalink
On 2021-01-07, azigni <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 23:17:06 +0000, Bischoop wrote:
>> Replying in wrong thread?
>
> Right thread, wrong Linux, same advice. I think you might look into Arco
> Linux or Arch, where you can build up rather than build down.
>
> Building up is easier than building down.

Buddy changing the distro is not a problem so please understand a
principle thing which is that if you don't have nothing positive to
bring to the thread don't say anything, because nobody asked which
distro to install.
FYI every distro is to bring down if you want, in my case I disabled main
dm which is responsible for many things in my Laptop and many laptops
has own configurations and the only way to bring everything to work was
to start lightdm.
azigni
2021-01-08 05:43:36 UTC
Permalink
On Fri, 08 Jan 2021 01:49:06 +0000, Bischoop wrote:

>...if you don't have nothing positive to bring to the thread don't say
>anything, because nobody asked which distro to install.

I guess you must know it all then and this was a test? Oh gee, I must
have failed. Shame on me. Why did you bother posting a question if you
know all the answers?

You could have saved yourself a lot of what must be your overly valuable
time, all thirty or seconds that you wasted reading, oh and the forty-
five seconds you spent bitching.

I am sure other regular posters will bend over backwards to help you now.
Bischoop
2021-01-08 16:11:38 UTC
Permalink
On 2021-01-08, azigni <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jan 2021 01:49:06 +0000, Bischoop wrote:
>
>>...if you don't have nothing positive to bring to the thread don't say
>>anything, because nobody asked which distro to install.
>
> I guess you must know it all then and this was a test? Oh gee, I must
> have failed. Shame on me. Why did you bother posting a question if you
> know all the answers?
>
> You could have saved yourself a lot of what must be your overly valuable
> time, all thirty or seconds that you wasted reading, oh and the forty-
> five seconds you spent bitching.
>
> I am sure other regular posters will bend over backwards to help you now.

LOL
Man have some rest really, because again your post looks like you've
mixed up threads. Honestly, how could you get to conclusion from that I
think I know all? Simply, changing distros is not solution for the
problems, period. I've used to have RedHat,Slackware,Gentoo and for
short period many others just for testing and currently working with Debian on
PC and Xubuntu and do not feel like to change for any other. Use what is
best for you because the best distro is the one that suits you best.
Big Bad Bob
2021-01-08 02:05:19 UTC
Permalink
On 2021-01-07 15:57, azigni wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 23:17:06 +0000, Bischoop wrote:
>> Replying in wrong thread?
>
> Right thread, wrong Linux, same advice. I think you might look into Arco
> Linux or Arch, where you can build up rather than build down.
>
> Building up is easier than building down.
>

I was actually thinking of Devuan [no systemd] which I set up in "that
way" quite often. When you want a headless system, no GUI is probably
better anyway. I often set those up to use X via tigerVNC, so I can
keep my Mate desktop and not have to waste resources with an unused
"boot into a GUI" lightdm [or whatever].

Ubu is still nice for bleeding edge, but along with Mint, I've had
trouble configuring it in ways that are different from what the
installer sets up. it's possible that those edge cases simply aren't
tested very well...


--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"
Harold Stevens
2021-01-08 02:11:43 UTC
Permalink
In <4vMJH.76226$***@fx37.iad> azigni:

[Snip...]

> I think you would be happier with a terminal centric Linux you can modify
> to your needs?

I certainly am. CLI and X: Best of both worlds. :)

FWIW ...

I've done it with versions of Debian Server, on Pentiums up.

A basic Debian server install (here, it's Buster):

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/debian-minimal-server/

After root login (CLI) add user ("duh"), X, and some toys:

adduser duh
usermod -aG sudo duh
adduser duh adm
apt update; apt upgrade
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
apt install lynx links slrn alpine xterm openbox xorg xdm xbase-clients
apt install mcrypt at bc dc suckless-tools net-tools network-manager ssh
apt install zathura alsa-utils mpg321 xli
apt install chromium
apt autoremove
apt clean

Logout root, then login as duh.

Start an X session from the duh CLI with ...

startx

... to bring up a template openbox session automagically.

Debian openbox guide:

https://wiki.debian.org/Openbox

--
Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).
Melzzzzz
2021-01-08 07:42:32 UTC
Permalink
On 2021-01-07, Bischoop <***@vimart.net> wrote:
>
> I've Xubuntu 20.04, I wanted to set log in in terminal and then going to
> Xfce. So I've done: "systemctl disable lightdm". Reboot and indeed log
> in terminal, but startx didn't start, had to do 'startxfce4', desktop
> looked kinda difference, fonts more blurry I could describe, also after
> switching terminal (ctrl+Alt+F1) and back to Xfce4 touchpad in my laptop
> stoped working, just the buttons worked.
> So I tought I go back to lightdm.
> sudo systemctl enable lightdm showed me a notice:
> ---------------------
> Synchronizing state of lightdm.service with SysV service script with
> /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
> Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable lightdm
> The unit files have no installation config (WantedBy=, RequiredBy=,
> Also=,
> Alias= settings in the [Install] section, and DefaultInstance= for
> template
> units). This means they are not meant to be enabled using systemctl.
>
> Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
> • A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another
> unit's
> .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
> • A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit
> which has
> a requirement dependency on it.
> • A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path,
> timer,
> D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).
> • In case of template units, the unit is meant to be enabled with
> some
> instance name specified.
> ------------------------
> With quick googling I've found I should do:
> sudo systemctl unmask lightdm and then sudo systemctl daemon-reload.
> I've done so, but still same.
> Also what I've noticed after all of this, when tried run newsgroup
> client slrn I had to set up again News enfironment althoght I've it set
> in .profile.
>
> Any solution for this?

set up ~/.xinitrc (to startxfce)
and .bashrc instead of .profile (set env variable there)
if you want startx from command line.
you also want `sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target`
instead of disabling lightdm.
and `sudo systemctl isolate graphical.target` if you want graphical
login after booting command line.

>
> --
> Thansk


--
current job title: senior software engineer
skills: c++,c,rust,go,nim,haskell...

press any key to continue or any other to quit...
U ničemu ja ne uživam kao u svom statusu INVALIDA -- Zli Zec
Svi smo svedoci - oko 3 godine intenzivne propagande je dovoljno da jedan narod poludi -- Zli Zec
Na divljem zapadu i nije bilo tako puno nasilja, upravo zato jer su svi
bili naoruzani. -- Mladen Gogala
Bischoop
2021-01-08 16:00:39 UTC
Permalink
On 2021-01-08, Melzzzzz <***@zzzzz.com> wrote:
>> Any solution for this?
>
> set up ~/.xinitrc (to startxfce)
> and .bashrc instead of .profile (set env variable there)
> if you want startx from command line.
> you also want `sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target`
> instead of disabling lightdm.
> and `sudo systemctl isolate graphical.target` if you want graphical
> login after booting command line.
>
>

Thanks for suggestions indeed better solution, now I know why systemd is
so hated ;-) everything a bit more complicated to achieve than old init.
--
Thanks
Loading...