double entries in grub start up menu, dual boot Win 10 or Ubuntu
OJ Oxford
2020-10-22 19:01:35 UTC
I have a spare external USB hard drive that originally had a cloned copy
of my desktop system on it (Ubuntu & Windows), but today I decided to
wipe the drive and use it for something else. Before I did, I had it
USB connected while in Win, but when I rebooted and got to the grub
menu, I saw double entries for Win and Ubuntu. Removing the drive and
the double entries remain. How can I repair this? Thanks in advance.
Mike Easter
2020-10-22 19:41:10 UTC
Post by OJ Oxford
I have a spare external USB hard drive that originally had a cloned copy
of my desktop system on it (Ubuntu & Windows), but today I decided to
wipe the drive and use it for something else.  Before I did, I had it
USB connected while in Win, but when I rebooted and got to the grub
menu, I saw double entries for Win and Ubuntu.  Removing the drive and
the double entries remain.  How can I repair this?
If all you need to do is format it, connect it to a computer and boot
some live linux distro and use GPartEd to format it. Or, if you mean it
is connected to the computer w/ Ub, then use that GPartEd. Or, maybe I
don't understand what the problem is. I don't know why it matters what
grub looks like if it is all going away.
Jonathan N. Little
2020-10-22 19:54:59 UTC
Post by OJ Oxford
I have a spare external USB hard drive that originally had a cloned copy
of my desktop system on it (Ubuntu & Windows), but today I decided to
wipe the drive and use it for something else.  Before I did, I had it
USB connected while in Win, but when I rebooted and got to the grub
menu, I saw double entries for Win and Ubuntu.  Removing the drive and
the double entries remain.  How can I repair this?  Thanks in advance.
With the external drive NOT attached, boot into Ubuntu and from a
terminal run command

sudo update-grub
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
OJ Oxford
Thank you! That took care of it.
Jonathan N. Little
2020-10-22 21:23:14 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by OJ Oxford
I have a spare external USB hard drive that originally had a cloned copy
of my desktop system on it (Ubuntu & Windows), but today I decided to
wipe the drive and use it for something else.  Before I did, I had it
USB connected while in Win, but when I rebooted and got to the grub
menu, I saw double entries for Win and Ubuntu.  Removing the drive and
the double entries remain.  How can I repair this?  Thanks in advance.
With the external drive NOT attached, boot into Ubuntu and from a
terminal run command
sudo update-grub
Thank you!  That took care of it.
Just to explain what is going on, if you list

ls -1 /etc/grub.d/
00_header
05_debian_theme
10_linux
20_linux_xen
30_os-prober
30_uefi-firmware
40_custom
41_custom

you will see the partial '30_os-prober' which when 'update-grub' is run
that component searches all the drive partitions for installed OSes to
build '/boot/grub/grub.cfg'

So all you have to do is remove drive and 'update-grub' will remove what
is no longer there...
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
Wildman
2020-10-22 21:52:09 UTC
Post by OJ Oxford
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by OJ Oxford
I have a spare external USB hard drive that originally had a cloned copy
of my desktop system on it (Ubuntu & Windows), but today I decided to
wipe the drive and use it for something else.  Before I did, I had it
USB connected while in Win, but when I rebooted and got to the grub
menu, I saw double entries for Win and Ubuntu.  Removing the drive and
the double entries remain.  How can I repair this?  Thanks in advance.
With the external drive NOT attached, boot into Ubuntu and from a
terminal run command
sudo update-grub
Thank you! That took care of it.
If you want to stop OS-PROBER add this to /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

Then run:

sudo update-grub
<Wildman>
Jonathan N. Little
2020-10-22 23:31:29 UTC
Post by Wildman
Post by OJ Oxford
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by OJ Oxford
I have a spare external USB hard drive that originally had a cloned copy
of my desktop system on it (Ubuntu & Windows), but today I decided to
wipe the drive and use it for something else.  Before I did, I had it
USB connected while in Win, but when I rebooted and got to the grub
menu, I saw double entries for Win and Ubuntu.  Removing the drive and
the double entries remain.  How can I repair this?  Thanks in advance.
With the external drive NOT attached, boot into Ubuntu and from a
terminal run command
sudo update-grub
Thank you! That took care of it.
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
sudo update-grub
Just not if you do that it will not pick up the Windows 10...you'd have
to manually insert the entry...
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
Wildman
2020-10-23 20:32:53 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by Wildman
Post by OJ Oxford
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by OJ Oxford
I have a spare external USB hard drive that originally had a cloned copy
of my desktop system on it (Ubuntu & Windows), but today I decided to
wipe the drive and use it for something else.  Before I did, I had it
USB connected while in Win, but when I rebooted and got to the grub
menu, I saw double entries for Win and Ubuntu.  Removing the drive and
the double entries remain.  How can I repair this?  Thanks in advance.
With the external drive NOT attached, boot into Ubuntu and from a
terminal run command
sudo update-grub
Thank you! That took care of it.
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
sudo update-grub
Just not if you do that it will not pick up the Windows 10...you'd have
to manually insert the entry...
That is why is used the qualifier "if".
<Wildman>
Jonathan N. Little
2020-10-24 14:24:04 UTC
Post by Wildman
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by Wildman
Post by OJ Oxford
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by OJ Oxford
I have a spare external USB hard drive that originally had a cloned copy
of my desktop system on it (Ubuntu & Windows), but today I decided to
wipe the drive and use it for something else.  Before I did, I had it
USB connected while in Win, but when I rebooted and got to the grub
menu, I saw double entries for Win and Ubuntu.  Removing the drive and
the double entries remain.  How can I repair this?  Thanks in advance.
With the external drive NOT attached, boot into Ubuntu and from a
terminal run command
sudo update-grub
Thank you! That took care of it.
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
sudo update-grub
Just not if you do that it will not pick up the Windows 10...you'd have
to manually insert the entry...
That is why is used the qualifier "if".
Just clarifying for OP since it was clear all he wanted to do was remove
the duplicate OS entries in grub of his current system state and not
remove all OS entries not Ubuntu.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
[...]