inxi -G --display
gamo
2020-12-07 03:34:58 UTC
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 610] driver: nvidia v:
340.108
Display: server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia unloaded:
fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
tty: 105x33
Message: No advanced graphics data found on this system.

THIS is the data about my monitor. "Message" says did no knows nothing about

Well, the monitor behaves extrange, with a *blinking* ambar light not
mentioned in the monitor manual troubleshooting

The monitor has in the back a extrange hole near a padlock symbol, maybe
for a certain type of screw driver. I have no luck screwing there.

TIA
http://gamo.sdf-eu.org/
Paul
2020-12-07 04:47:27 UTC
Post by gamo
340.108
fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
tty: 105x33
Message: No advanced graphics data found on this system.
THIS is the data about my monitor. "Message" says did no knows nothing about
Well, the monitor behaves extrange, with a *blinking* ambar light not
mentioned in the monitor manual troubleshooting
The monitor has in the back a extrange hole near a padlock symbol, maybe
for a certain type of screw driver. I have no luck screwing there.
TIA
This would be a fully functional inxi output.

Graphics: Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940M] driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6

System is missing OpenGL in this one (bumblebee setup on laptop).

$ optirun inxi -G
Graphics: Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940M] driver: nvidia v: 390.87
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz <=== monitor OK
Message: No advanced graphics data found on this system.

Yours shows tty, because for some reason, it hasn't loaded *anything else* .
Display manager, session manager ?

Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 610] driver: nvidia v: 340.108
Display: server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia unloaded: ...
tty: 105x33 <=== no monitor ?
Message: No advanced graphics data found on this system. <=== no OpenGL ?

I would say, to start, check that the HDMI cable is plugged in.
Maybe the light is flashing yellow, because the signal is out of range.

No signal whatsoever, the monitor LED should be blue.
Signal working, monitor LED should be yellow.
Ideally, signal out of range, OSD box onscreen should notify you.

Time to check for a /var/log/Xorg... log file which keeps
track of the display discovery process.

There is get-edid and xrandr.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/114359/how-to-get-edid-for-a-single-monitor

$ monitor-edid
EISA ID: LEN4036
EDID version: 1.3
EDID extension blocks: 0
Screen size: 30.3 cm x 19.0 cm (14.08 inches, aspect ratio 16/10 = 1.59)
Gamma: 2.2
Digital signal

$ get_edid | parse_edid

Using such EDID-related command, proves that the serial bus on the HDMI cable
is working.

Whereas xrandr, relies on the DISPLAY variable being set,
and an Xorg server process successfully running. If xrandr cannot contact
the X display server, then you should not expect output.

Your output does say an Xorg is running, 1.20.8, so DISPLAY=:0
should be working. Maybe something like this.

$ xrandr -display :0 --verbose

We know there's no terminal of course. Inxi told us that. Using xrandr
is no better than doing

$ xterm -display :0

sort of thing.

If Wayland was present, I presume it provides enough backward
compatible features, to make anything X-related, to work.

2020-12-07 05:10:01 UTC
Post by gamo
340.108
fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
tty: 105x33
Message: No advanced graphics data found on this system.
THIS is the data about my monitor. "Message" says did no knows nothing about
Well, the monitor behaves extrange, with a *blinking* ambar light not
mentioned in the monitor manual troubleshooting
The monitor has in the back a extrange hole near a padlock symbol, maybe
for a certain type of screw driver. I have no luck screwing there.
TIA
It occurs to me - the monitor could be blinking yellow, because
Xorg applies a signal, removes the signal, applies a signal,
removes the signal, in a loop. That might be your blinking LED.
It would be blinking at a 1Hz or 0.5Hz rate, approximately.
Not a faster blink than that.

I've noticed on failure cases here, that Xorg tries over
and over again to run. At one time, there was a "fallback" option,
and the graphics subsystem did not stay in a loop. Whereas
today, there does not seem to be a fallback path for graphics
and instead, an idiotic looping construct is used. Which
messes with the screen every one to two seconds or so, and
prevents the user from doing anything else.

Your output shows TTY, and maybe you have a text screen ?
If so, that would be a miracle.

What I use on my system (because Nouveau keeps losing contact
with my NVidia card during startup), is this added to the boot line

console=ttyS0,57600n8

What that does, is use the RS232 serial port on my SuperIO,
otherwise known as COM1 and COM2 (of which only COM1 has
a translator chip for the DB9 connector on the system).

I run an RS232 null-modem cable to the computer I'm typing
on, and then my console runs on the screen of this computer,
and I can work on whatever evil problem the other box has.
For example, if I can get the NVidia driver to load, then
on the next boot, everything is fine and I no longer
need my console hack.

It's harder to do the above, if all you have is a USB to RS232
adapter. I got lucky, and discovered by accident that the
hardware needed, was inside the box. I wasn't expecting it
to be there. I didn't even check the manual, because on
modern computers, there isn't supposed to be one (RS232).

Paul
Bobbie Sellers
2020-12-07 05:15:54 UTC
Post by gamo
340.108
fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
           tty: 105x33
           Message: No advanced graphics data found on this system.
THIS is the data about my monitor. "Message" says did no knows nothing about
Well, the monitor behaves extrange, with a *blinking* ambar light not
mentioned in the monitor manual troubleshooting
The monitor has in the back a extrange hole near a padlock symbol, maybe
for a certain type of screw driver. I have no luck screwing there.
TIA
Unless you have a specific type of screwdriver usually plastic
leave that alone. I.e. Don't screw around. What sort of monitor is
it flat screen LED or Cathode Ray Tube. The CRTa have deadly levels
of voltage inside the case and you should leave that to professional
or read basic manuals on TV/Monitor repair until you understand what
is expected of you.
I don't know so much about flat screens

Look at the manual and see what the amber light is supposed to be. You
might need a new monitor but check the power connection and the
video connnection.

blisa
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
Anton Ertl
2020-12-07 07:24:53 UTC
Post by gamo
The monitor has in the back a extrange hole near a padlock symbol, maybe
for a certain type of screw driver. I have no luck screwing there.
Most likely for the Kensington lock
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Security_Slot>.

Not intended for screwing.

- anton
***@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen
2020-12-07 17:46:54 UTC
Subject: inxi -G --display
That --display (no number) is not a correct command for inxi. inxi can
give add'l info based on the -G option w/ extra x/s, such as Inxi -Gx or
inxi -Gxx.

inxi advanced options says this about using --display [0-9]

--display [:[0-9]] Try to get display data out of X (default: display 0).

On my system, if I test -Gx -Gxx -Gxxx and --display 9, I get no useful
add'l info beyond what I get from just plain inxi -G, which in fact
gives the most info about the monitor;

~$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] driver: radeon v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS880 (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.0.0-32-generic LLVM 8.0.0)
v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8
340.108
fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
           tty: 105x33
           Message: No advanced graphics data found on this system.
The nvidia driver I find for the GeForce GT 610 is 390.67 dated Jun 05,
2018; that is, that is the highest L of the dot driver v.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/134859/#

The nvidia tool for looking up drivers at its site is not functioning
properly for me; if I try to find the geforce series 600 as is referred
to in the above page, the tool fails to operate

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/ Search all GeForce
drivers by providing your system information.

However, if I search differently, I find an nvidia driver w/ a lower
number on the L side of the dot but a high number on the R side of the
dot and a later date:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156163/en-us

Version: 340.108
Release Date: 2019.12.23
Operating System: Linux 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 66.92 MB
THIS is the data about my monitor. "Message" says did no knows nothing about
Well, the monitor behaves extrange, with a *blinking* ambar light not
mentioned in the monitor manual troubleshooting
That LED blinking amber is some kind of error. Many LCD monitors have
native resolutions which they want to have for best performance of
resolution & freq.
The monitor has in the back a extrange hole near a padlock symbol, maybe
for a certain type of screw driver. I have no luck screwing there.
Don't go screwing in holes recklessly.