Seahorse problem
2020-09-30 00:13:12 UTC
I've been trying to work w/ Seahorse in a current Mint which is based on
the 20.04 Ub and uses its repo/s.

There is a problem w/ the seahorse configuration in its keyserver
section as it is 'designed' to only support LDAP keyservers, which is
not the condition of earlier Seahorse.

The Sh in Mint 19.3 is 3.20. At the Sh site, the latest stable v. is
3.30.1, but 'paradoxically' (or something) the v. available in the Mint
(and Ub 20.04) repos is 3.36! How does the Ub repo hold a v. newer than
the v. at the site?

Now about the problem w/ 3.36. Keyservers such as keyserver.ubuntu.com
CANNOT be configured as a LDAP server; it needs to be
hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com. That is (so far) impossible for me in Sh 3.36.

I attempted to fix the 'structure' of the Sh in a couple of ways that
didn't work. I tried w/ the dconf-editor, which was all new to me. It
seemed to let me change what I wanted, but it didn't actually work. I
also tried w/ the command

gsettings set org.gnome.crypto.pgp keyserver "hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com"

(the punctuation may have been a tad different)

In its default condition, Sh couldn't connect w/ the server at all.
After my faulty repair command, it seemed to connect, but it couldn't
display the key nor did it give any error.

Since I was doing all of this on a live Mint Cinnamon 20 based on Ub
20.04, I decided to go back to Mint 19.3 based on 18.04 which has Sh
3.20 by default which CAN access the ubuntu keyserver and fetch its
key/s to build a live Mint that can do the graphical duties I'm trying
to accomplish.

Incidentally, all the things I'm trying to do work just fine w/
commands, but not w/ Sh.
2020-09-30 03:55:34 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse_%28software%29

"It has HKP and LDAP key server support."

Would a firewall be blocking it ?
Is there a build-time option to disable parts of it ?

Paul
Andrei Z.
2020-09-30 05:53:55 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
[...]
Index of /sources/seahorse
https://download.gnome.org/sources/seahorse/

Cannot add HKP server, even when compiled with HKP support (#262)
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/seahorse/-/issues/262
Mike Easter
2020-10-01 17:10:29 UTC
I decided to go back to Mint 19.3 based on 18.04 which has Sh 3.20 by
default which CAN access the ubuntu keyserver and fetch its key/s to
build a live Mint that can do the graphical duties I'm trying to
accomplish.
I also performed this task in a KDE environment; using Kub 18.04.4,
kgpg, gtkhash, & kleopatra. Kgpg is better able to handle keyserver
duties than seahorse. Kleopatra has a nice mode to verify detached sigs
for checksum.