Upgrade ubuntu server from 16.04 to 18.04?
jp
2021-02-24 03:49:49 UTC
Hello,

I am under ubuntu 16.04 and I am trying to upgrade my system from
version 16.04 to 18.04. I do:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove
sudo do-release-upgrade

and the system answers me:

Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading

Does anyone know how I can go about installing all the available
updates, so the command do-release-upgrade will works?

Thank you in advance.
jp
2021-02-24 06:02:53 UTC
Le 24/02/2021 à 04:49, jp a écrit :

I add that:

apt list --upgradable -a
Listing... Done
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.38 all [upgradable from: 2.34]
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.38~no-lz4 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.36 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial,now 2.34 all [installed,upgradable to: 2.38]
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.31 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.29 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.27 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.21 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.18 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.17 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.6 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.5-6 al

Thanks.
Anssi Saari
2021-02-27 10:49:21 UTC
Post by jp
apt list --upgradable -a
Listing... Done
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.38 all [upgradable from: 2.34]
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.38~no-lz4 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.36 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial,now 2.34 all [installed,upgradable to: 2.38]
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.31 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.29 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.27 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.21 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.18 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.17 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.6 all
gandi-hosting-vm2/xenial 2.5-6 al
That doesn't seem like a package from Ubuntu and clearly it's not the
latest version? So how about it if you install the latest and then
proceed with do-release-update?

And of course, if this is for an important server, then maybe check your
backups first and plan how to get things running if something goes wrong.
Iceman
2021-02-27 00:09:37 UTC
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 04:49:49 +0100
Post by jp
Hello,
I am under ubuntu 16.04 and I am trying to upgrade my system from
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove
sudo do-release-upgrade
Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading
Does anyone know how I can go about installing all the available
updates, so the command do-release-upgrade will works?
Thank you in advance.
To do a system upgrade only the first 2 steps are necessary.

You can also back up your files to removable media and then download 18.04 from the Ubuntu site. Note, that 20.10 is the most recent release.
Jonathan N. Little
2021-02-27 01:58:08 UTC
Post by jp
Hello,
I am under ubuntu 16.04 and I am trying to upgrade my system from
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove
sudo do-release-upgrade
Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading
Does anyone know how I can go about installing all the available
updates, so the command do-release-upgrade will works?
Thank you in advance.
To do a system upgrade only the first 2 steps are necessary.
You can also back up your files to removable media and then download 18.04 from the Ubuntu site. Note, that 20.10 is the most recent release.
If it is production server then stick to 18.04 or 20.04, they are to LTS
versions.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Wes Newell
2021-02-27 05:39:41 UTC
Post by jp
Hello,
I am under ubuntu 16.04 and I am trying to upgrade my system from
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove
sudo do-release-upgrade
Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading
Does anyone know how I can go about installing all the available
updates, so the command do-release-upgrade will works?
May not make a difference but I use apt-get update and then apt-get
upgrade and have never had a problem upgrading remote systems like this.
--
http://wesnewell.ddns.net
https://github.com/wesnewell/Functionality
Duncan Macleod
2021-02-27 13:08:51 UTC
This is a known problem.

Check out this link and see if it helps:

https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/troubleshooting-please-install-available-updates-release-upgrading/
jp
2021-02-27 13:46:39 UTC
Post by Duncan Macleod
This is a known problem.
https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/troubleshooting-please-install-available-updates-release-upgrading/
It doesn't works. I have yet the message: Please install all available
updates for your release before upgrading.

Thank you
Duncan Macleod
2021-02-27 15:28:19 UTC
OK, si rien de tout cela ne fonctionne, vous avez 3 options:

(1) Mettre à niveau le logiciel vers la version 17.1, puis vers la
version 18.04.

(2) Forcer la mise à niveau de 18.04: C'est risqué.
--Sauvegardez toutes votre data;
--Mettre à niveau Core Manager:> sudo apt install update-manager-core
--Attendez qu'Ubuntu termine l'installation de Core Manager. C'est tres
important.
--Tapez ensuite:> sudo do-release-upgrade -d

(3) Installez la mise à niveau depuis une clé USB.
Post by jp
This is a known problem.
Thank you
jp
2021-02-27 13:44:32 UTC
Post by Iceman
To do a system upgrade only the first 2 steps are necessary.
it doesn't works.
Post by Iceman
You can also back up your files to removable media and then download 18.04 from the Ubuntu site. Note, that 20.10 is the most recent release.
My server is in a cloud. I haven't physical access to it.

Thank you.
Jonathan N. Little
2021-02-27 15:04:37 UTC
Post by Iceman
You can also back up your files to removable media and then download
18.04 from the Ubuntu site. Note, that 20.10 is the most recent release.
My server is in a cloud. I haven't physical access to it.
If you have a package on hold at a certain version so-release-upgrade
will not proceed until that package is upgraded. To list help packages:

apt-mark showhold

To see what version you need to upgrade to for any packages the above
command lists use

apt-cache policy PACKAGENAME

to remove hold on package

sudo apt-mark unhold PACKAGENAME

then

sudo apt upgrade
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
Adrian Caspersz
2021-02-27 12:01:06 UTC
Post by jp
Hello,
I am under ubuntu 16.04 and I am trying to upgrade my system from
sudo apt update
sudo apt update is showing failures you are not telling us about?
Adrian C
jp
2021-02-27 13:48:39 UTC
Post by Adrian Caspersz
sudo apt update is showing failures you are not telling us about?
Accuratly I do: sudo root and after apt update. It seems that works.

Thank you