2020-09-10 15:32:15 UTC
the result, I thought I'd take the chance to ask this. The motherboard
on my laptop recently went bad and I received the new replacement
yesterday. Now, as with any package that has arrived here so far in the
last four months, I bathe all sides of enclosed items in UVC light for a
specified period of time to kill any bacteria or viruses present. All
items that have arrived so far have been either food, like soup cans,
sauces, etc or household items like extension cords, light bulbs, etc.
Sometimes I will just dip something like extension cords into a bleach/
water solution for 5-10 minutes, while not exposing the copper
conductors, and then spray the conductor ends separately with alcohol (I
am worried about a possible bleach- copper reaction over time causing
premature decay of the copper). The motherboard brings a new challenge:
will the UVC light affect any of the MB components in a negative way?
It was in an antistatic bag and I bathed both sides of the bag under the
UVC, but I'm not sure I want to do this with the motherboard itself as I
have read that some IC's, transistors, etc might be sensitive to UVC
light. Your thoughts would be welcome here. If UVC seems to risky, I
suppose I could let the board sit for a week before I handle it as I
don't see any other way to decon. One certainly can't spray it with 70%
iso and risk water damage.
Thanks in advance.