Symlinks in /boot
Dick
2021-01-11 16:40:18 UTC
I run 2 Ubuntu servers (20.04 LTS) and a bunch of vm's on one of them.
Most of the vm's are Ubuntu (20.04 LTS, 20.10, 21.04, Mint 20, etc).

If I enter ls -l /boot/vml*, I get vmlinuz symlinked to the latest
kernel and vmlinuz.old symlinked to the next most recent. That is, all
but one of the servers which has the old system of the vmlinux symlinked
in /. As I said, all are running 20.04 or higher. It would be really
helpful (for my testing), if I could have the vmlinuz symlinks on each
system in /boot because the symlinks have read permissions for all users.

Is there a way to make the one server move it's /vmlinuz symlinks to
/boot and then have the system update those symlinks on each kernel
update? Google hasn't been much help.

Thanks in advance...
Anssi Saari
2021-01-12 07:57:38 UTC
Post by Dick
Is there a way to make the one server move it's /vmlinuz symlinks to
/boot and then have the system update those symlinks on each kernel
update? Google hasn't been much help.
Apparently it's linux-update-symlinks which it maintains these symlinks
and it obeys settings in /etc/kernel-img.conf. In there it seems it's
the image_dest variable which defaults to / and in your case should be
set to /boot.

I've never tried changing these settings so take care.