Seeking Active Usenet Newsgroups
Seamus Harlowe
2021-01-12 10:11:53 UTC
I abandoned Usenet many years ago. Now it seems most newsgroups are
ghost towns.

In which groups are lively discussions still running?

My interests are tech, *nix, BSD, programming, spookcraft, open source
intelligence, cryptography, secure communications, ancient history,
server administration.

S.H.
Dirk T. Verbeek
2021-01-12 12:30:04 UTC
Post by Seamus Harlowe
I abandoned Usenet many years ago. Now it seems most newsgroups are
ghost towns.
In which groups are lively discussions still running?
My interests are tech, *nix, BSD, programming, spookcraft, open source
intelligence, cryptography, secure communications, ancient history,
server administration.
S.H.
comp.misc is somewhat alive, it reemerged after some saw problems with
slashdot.
Jeff Layman
2021-01-12 12:45:47 UTC
Post by Seamus Harlowe
I abandoned Usenet many years ago. Now it seems most newsgroups are
ghost towns.
In which groups are lively discussions still running?
My interests are tech, *nix, BSD, programming, spookcraft, open source
intelligence, cryptography, secure communications, ancient history,
server administration.
If you want to look slightly outside usenet, have a look at the
news.grc.com server. There is a somewhat out-of-date list here:
<https://www.grc.com/nntpquickref.htm>
Jeff
Adrian Caspersz
2021-01-12 14:14:44 UTC
Post by Seamus Harlowe
I abandoned Usenet many years ago. Now it seems most newsgroups are
ghost towns.
In which groups are lively discussions still running?
My interests are tech, *nix, BSD, programming, spookcraft, open source
intelligence, cryptography, secure communications, ancient history,
server administration.
WARNING: This is another one of Arlen Holder's sock puppets
Adrian C
Mike Easter
2021-01-12 16:30:48 UTC
Post by Adrian Caspersz
Post by Seamus Harlowe
I abandoned Usenet many years ago. Now it seems most newsgroups are
ghost towns.
WARNING: This is another one of Arlen Holder's sock puppets
Sometimes people claim sock puppet w/o justification.
chovy
2021-01-14 08:25:04 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Adrian Caspersz
Post by Seamus Harlowe
I abandoned Usenet many years ago. Now it seems most newsgroups are
ghost towns.
WARNING: This is another one of Arlen Holder's sock puppets
Sometimes people claim sock puppet w/o justification.
I'm wondering the same thing. its a trip seeing newsgroups posts from 2003.
- chovy
Ottavio Caruso
2021-01-14 09:56:53 UTC
Post by Seamus Harlowe
I abandoned Usenet many years ago. Now it seems most newsgroups are
ghost towns.
In which groups are lively discussions still running?
My interests are tech, *nix, BSD, programming, spookcraft, open source
intelligence, cryptography, secure communications, ancient history,
server administration.
If the medium is a usenet client, suscribe to gmane.io <news.gmane.io>,
and access plenty of technical mailing lists.
Ottavio Caruso
Ottavio Caruso
2021-01-14 09:57:53 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by Seamus Harlowe
I abandoned Usenet many years ago. Now it seems most newsgroups are
ghost towns.
In which groups are lively discussions still running?
My interests are tech, *nix, BSD, programming, spookcraft, open source
intelligence, cryptography, secure communications, ancient history,
server administration.
If the medium is a usenet client, suscribe to gmane.io <news.gmane.io>,
and access plenty of technical mailing lists.
s/suscribe/subscribe
Ottavio Caruso
Mike Easter
2021-01-14 12:52:57 UTC
Post by Ottavio Caruso
If the medium is a usenet client, suscribe to gmane.io <news.gmane.io>,
and access plenty of technical mailing lists.
The website instructing how to use gmane is dead. I haven't tested the
server to see if it still works the way it used to. Previously one
needed instructions for how to do 'self authentication' to post and
still have one's email address obfuscated.