Discussion:
Linux that is like Unix?
Add Reply
Daniel L Newhouse
2021-03-25 04:27:32 UTC
Reply
Permalink
Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?
Fokke Nauta
2021-03-25 08:12:56 UTC
Reply
Permalink
On 25/03/2021 05:27, Daniel L Newhouse wrote:
> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?
>

Linux is based on Unix, but it is much more user friendly.
Nowadays Linux has become a friendly operating system with a graphic
user interface that everybody can use.

Fokke
Aragorn
2021-03-25 08:27:00 UTC
Reply
Permalink
On 24.03.2021 at 23:27, Daniel L Newhouse scribbled:

> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?

Most definitely not. If anything, it aims at being a lot more like
macOS — not so much in appearance as in how it works, i.e. with
containerized applications.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =
Dirk T. Verbeek
2021-03-25 15:04:58 UTC
Reply
Permalink
Op 25-03-2021 om 05:27 schreef Daniel L Newhouse:
> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?
>
Ubuntu is just one of many distributors using the Open Source Linux
kernel that is contributed to by many but ultimately released through
Linus Thorvalds who is sponsored by the Linux Foundation.

The original idea (1991) of Linus was to make a free and gratis Unix
style OS.

Ubuntu, just like most of the other distributions, can and will
fine-tune the kernel and add applications for the user and also at least
one Graphical User Interface to make the OS accessible for people
without in-depth knowledge of the kernel.
Bischoop
2021-03-25 16:55:44 UTC
Reply
Permalink
On 2021-03-25, Daniel L Newhouse <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?

Linux is family unix-like operating system based on Linux kernel.
Linus Torvalds came to idea to create alternative unix like OS in 91' when had no money for buying Mini
unix operating system.
Andrei Z.
2021-03-25 17:27:56 UTC
Reply
Permalink
Bischoop wrote:
> On 2021-03-25, Daniel L Newhouse <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?
>
> Linux is family unix-like operating system based on Linux kernel.
> Linus Torvalds came to idea to create alternative unix like OS in 91' when had no money for buying Mini
> unix operating system.
>
LINUX's History by Linus Torvalds
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html

"Note: The following text was written by Linus on July 31 1992. It is a
collection of various artifacts from the period in which Linux first
began to take shape."
Bischoop
2021-03-26 00:19:41 UTC
Reply
Permalink
On 2021-03-25, Andrei Z. <no-***@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Bischoop wrote:
>> On 2021-03-25, Daniel L Newhouse <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?
>>
>> Linux is family unix-like operating system based on Linux kernel.
>> Linus Torvalds came to idea to create alternative unix like OS in 91' when had no money for buying Mini
>> unix operating system.
>>
> LINUX's History by Linus Torvalds
> https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html
>
> "Note: The following text was written by Linus on July 31 1992. It is a
> collection of various artifacts from the period in which Linux first
> began to take shape."

Thanks for share. The collection of these makes a nice story.


Love the part when Linus describes project as "small hobby" or the part
"you need to be kinda hacker to set it up" lol.
andrew
2021-03-26 06:04:10 UTC
Reply
Permalink
On 2021-03-25, Daniel L Newhouse <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?

Have a look at Slackware...

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Bischoop
2021-03-26 11:32:02 UTC
Reply
Permalink
On 2021-03-26, andrew <***@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-03-25, Daniel L Newhouse <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?
>
> Have a look at Slackware...
>
Why would anybody say that Ubuntu is more like Unix anyway?
Harold Stevens
2021-03-26 13:50:52 UTC
Reply
Permalink
In <***@vimart.net> Bischoop:

[Snip...]

> Why would anybody say that Ubuntu is more like Unix anyway?

<Occam'sRazor>
They're trolling?
</Occam'sRazor>

--
Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).
Jonathan N. Little
2021-03-26 13:54:15 UTC
Reply
Permalink
Bischoop wrote:
> On 2021-03-26, andrew <***@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2021-03-25, Daniel L Newhouse <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is the purpose of Ubuntu to make a Linux that is more like Unix?
>>
>> Have a look at Slackware...
>>
> Why would anybody say that Ubuntu is more like Unix anyway?
>
>

WAG trolling...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Loading...