uninstalling and then reinstalling LibreOffice?
Add Reply
James Wobanwu
2021-03-30 16:52:43 UTC
I uninstalled LibreOffice last week to try out OpenOffice, but I don't
like OO and want to go back to Libre. What commands should I use for
reinstallation? I know this sounds pretty basic, but not sure whether
to use PPA, Deb file, or ? Thanks in advance.
Mike Easter
2021-03-30 17:23:28 UTC
Post by James Wobanwu
I uninstalled LibreOffice last week to try out OpenOffice, but I don't
like OO and want to go back to Libre.  What commands should I use for
reinstallation?  I know this sounds pretty basic, but not sure whether
to use PPA, Deb file, or ?
I booted Ub Mate 20.04. Its updated repo/s are LO 6.4.6; the LO site
provides 'generic' deb/s for 7.1.1 (for early adopters) & 7.0.5 (tested
longer) and the .ppa provided by the LO packaging team provides 7.0.4rc
which the 'notes' provided during the addition of the .ppa describe the
rc vs release situation.

Personally, I would rather have the 7.0.x which is 'specific' for my
distro Focal than the 'older' 6.4.6 in the default repo/s or the 'early'
non-specific 7.1.1 .deb.

It isn't necessary to have uninstalled LO to try OO, but in this case
you will be 'advancing' to 7 if you add the .ppa instead of using your
repo/s to reinstall 6.4.6.

Personally again, I would do it graphically rather than by commands,
except I generally use commands for the .ppa and synaptic (added) for
the install.
2021-03-30 17:46:27 UTC
the .ppa provided by the LO packaging team provides 7.0.4rc which the
'notes' provided during the addition of the .ppa describe the rc vs
release situation.
... that is, the .ppa won't have beta/s, won't have updates to the next
level, ie 7.1.x, but /will/ have such as rc2; and further 'notes' that
for minor up/s 7.0.1, 7.0.2 etc they say the rc2 is almost always
exactly the same as the final.

So, paraphrasing they say one shouldn't worry about the 7.0.4rc being
anything other than 7.0.4.

Someone else might choose the 7.0.5 generic .deb from the LO site or
even the 7.1.1 from there.
Jonathan N. Little
2021-03-30 17:50:17 UTC
Post by James Wobanwu
I uninstalled LibreOffice last week to try out OpenOffice, but I don't
like OO and want to go back to Libre.  What commands should I use for
reinstallation?  I know this sounds pretty basic, but not sure whether
to use PPA, Deb file, or ?  Thanks in advance.
If you are happy with the default version in the repository (safest for
newbies) then the following command line should do what you wish

sudo apt -y purge openoffiice && sudo apt install -y libreoffice
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Mike Easter
2021-03-30 17:54:03 UTC
Post by James Wobanwu
I uninstalled LibreOffice last week to try out OpenOffice, but I don't
like OO and want to go back to Libre.
If the reason you sampled OO was because of something you found
'lacking' in your default LO, it is possible that the 7.0 (or the 7.1)
series might have that 'something' that you were looking for; or, maybe not.
Dirk T. Verbeek
2021-03-30 18:18:48 UTC
Post by James Wobanwu
I uninstalled LibreOffice last week to try out OpenOffice, but I don't
like OO and want to go back to Libre.  What commands should I use for
reinstallation?  I know this sounds pretty basic, but not sure whether
to use PPA, Deb file, or ?  Thanks in advance.
Others have given good answers, here is a simple one.

Libreoffice is in the repositories so you simply open your favorite
package manager, find libreoffice and go ahead.
Porcospino
2021-04-02 12:04:10 UTC
Post by James Wobanwu
I uninstalled LibreOffice last week to try out OpenOffice, but I don't
like OO and want to go back to Libre. What commands should I use for
reinstallation? I know this sounds pretty basic, but not sure whether
to use PPA, Deb file, or ? Thanks in advance.
I'm happy with the default version in the package manager, even if it's
a bit behind the latest release, so I would go with the commands
Jonathan N. Little mentioned.

If you want LO 7 or later, in addition to the options that have been
mentioned, you can also install with snap or flatpak.
e.g., sudo snap install libreoffice
Jonathan N. Little
2021-04-02 14:51:41 UTC
Post by Porcospino
Post by James Wobanwu
I uninstalled LibreOffice last week to try out OpenOffice, but I don't
like OO and want to go back to Libre. What commands should I use for
reinstallation? I know this sounds pretty basic, but not sure whether
to use PPA, Deb file, or ? Thanks in advance.
I'm happy with the default version in the package manager, even if it's
a bit behind the latest release, so I would go with the commands
Jonathan N. Little mentioned.
If you want LO 7 or later, in addition to the options that have been
mentioned, you can also install with snap or flatpak.
e.g., sudo snap install libreoffice
Personal experience I have found a downside to snaps vs a PPA with a
backport. Example was the snap of Inkscape would not let you save to a
network share whereas the PPA that added the latest version "natively"
installed with app could. Seems the sandboxing with snaps|flatpak impose
limitation on the application.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
Paul
2021-04-02 17:26:58 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by Porcospino
Post by James Wobanwu
[...]
https://ubuntu.com/blog/a-guide-to-snap-permissions-and-interfaces

$ snap interfaces gimp
Slot Plug
:home gimp,gnome-characters,gnome-logs
- gimp:cups-control
- gimp:removable-media
(...)

But the evidence here is, you have to "bend your app to the will of Snap",
to get such things to work.

https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/difficulty-viewing-mounted-fileystems-via-samba-nfs-gvfs-interface/14680/16