Document shenanigans
Dieter Britz
2020-08-28 14:40:53 UTC
I use Kubuntu. Until today I was able to print a docx
by typing CTRL-P, but today it doesn't react, and I had
to go into the File menu to print it.

Also Evince no longer selects text I pass the mouse over,
as it always has done. So I tried to find out how to get
Okular to do it. I read I should use CTRL-4, which does
produce a little window top left, saying "Select", but
then what? When I then try it, no go. I used to be able
to box a given text and then put it into the text buffer.

What might explain all this?
Dieter Britz
Mike Easter
2020-08-28 20:00:22 UTC
Post by Dieter Britz
I use Kubuntu. Until today I was able to print a docx
by typing CTRL-P, but today it doesn't react, and I had
to go into the File menu to print it.
I booted a live Neon and I can find the graphical settings for the
ctrl-P print shortcut. You could check that setting and see that is
still true. I also looked for where the config files are to be found
which contain those shortcuts; but there are 'various' files for that.
Post by Dieter Britz
Also Evince no longer selects text I pass the mouse over,
as it always has done. So I tried to find out how to get
Okular to do it. I read I should use CTRL-4, which does
produce a little window top left, saying "Select", but
then what? When I then try it, no go. I used to be able
to box a given text and then put it into the text buffer.
In Okular, its default mode is 'browse' which is a hand cursor which can
move the position you are in the doc. Another mode is 'text selection'
which changes the cursor to an I-beam which can select text. Not a
lasso type selection. But the text selection function/mode also has
area selection and table selection using ctrl-3 & ctrl-5.

Okular menu/s can turn and off various bars in the Settings menu.
Post by Dieter Britz
What might explain all this?
I dunno about the shortcut. I didn't fiddle w/ Evince in Neon.
2020-08-28 21:06:48 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
I didn't fiddle w/ Evince in Neon.
I looked at Evince. It is a lightweight gnome viewer. It wouldn't be
my choice in a KDE. Okular is more powerful, based on the KPDF and it
has good docs:

https://userbase.kde.org/Okular
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdegraphics/okular/index.html
Dieter Britz
2020-08-29 07:02:04 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mike Easter
I didn't fiddle w/ Evince in Neon.
I looked at Evince. It is a lightweight gnome viewer. It wouldn't be
my choice in a KDE. Okular is more powerful, based on the KPDF and it
https://userbase.kde.org/Okular
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdegraphics/okular/index.html
Thanks, that's useful. I do have a question more. In the manual,
I see

Settings → Full Screen Mode (Ctrl+Shift+F)

Enables the full screen mode. Note that full screen mode is different
from presentation mode insofar as the only peculiarity of full screen
mode is that it hides the window decorations, the menubar and the toolbar.

But I am by default in the full screen mode for some reason. How
do I turn on the menu bar? I don't see that in the manual.
Dieter Britz
Aragorn
2020-08-29 08:21:14 UTC
Post by Dieter Britz
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mike Easter
I didn't fiddle w/ Evince in Neon.
I looked at Evince. It is a lightweight gnome viewer. It wouldn't
be my choice in a KDE. Okular is more powerful, based on the KPDF
https://userbase.kde.org/Okular
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdegraphics/okular/index.html
Thanks, that's useful. I do have a question more. In the manual,
I see
Settings → Full Screen Mode (Ctrl+Shift+F)
Enables the full screen mode. Note that full screen mode is
different from presentation mode insofar as the only peculiarity of
full screen mode is that it hides the window decorations, the menubar
and the toolbar.
But I am by default in the full screen mode for some reason. How
do I turn on the menu bar? I don't see that in the manual.
Usually the shortcut to enable this works like a toggle. So, press
Ctrl+Shift+F and see whether that makes a difference. And if it does,
open up the settings menu and see whether you can have it start up
without using full-screen mode.
--
With respect,
= Aragorn =
Dieter Britz
2020-08-29 09:50:38 UTC
I use Kubuntu. Until today I was able to print a docx by typing CTRL-P,
but today it doesn't react, and I had to go into the File menu to print
it.
Also Evince no longer selects text I pass the mouse over,
as it always has done. So I tried to find out how to get Okular to do
it. I read I should use CTRL-4, which does produce a little window top
left, saying "Select", but then what? When I then try it, no go. I used
to be able to box a given text and then put it into the text buffer.
What might explain all this?
I might have found the reason. I looked up how to select
with Evince, and it seems that some pdf files won't allow
selection, because they are images.

The reason I prefer Evince is that selection is easier, you
just hold the middle button and pass the cursor over the text.
With Okular, you mark a frame around the text and then click
on yes, I want that in the copy/paste buffer. Twice as much
work {:].
--
Dieter Britz