REISUB working at all on my 16.04 system?
Bill Saunders
2020-08-21 15:37:15 UTC
I have infrequent freezing on my 16.04 desktop that I have never been
able to solve, so I have occasionally used the REISUB method for a
restart. However, aside from actually rebooting when I get to B, how
would I know if any of the prior steps are working because, as I observe
going through each one, nothing appears to happen? Thanks in advance.
azigni
2020-08-21 16:50:19 UTC
You need to let the group know your laptop info, what distro and programs
you are running, what you are doing at the moment.

Otherwise you may as well say, "My room gets dark, can you help me fix
it?"
Bill Saunders
2020-08-21 17:02:09 UTC
Post by azigni
You need to let the group know your laptop info, what distro and programs
you are running, what you are doing at the moment.
Otherwise you may as well say, "My room gets dark, can you help me fix
it?"
They're all working now. I used this webpage to determine that, like
illustrated there, my current SysRq value was also "176" not all of the
functions of REISUB were working. After resetting the value to "1"
(enabling all functions), when I go through each step now something
happens. So I guess the functionality of the processes involved with
REISUB was only partially enabled by default it seems.
Bill Saunders

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-enable-all-sysrq-functions-on-linux
Henry Crun
2020-08-22 06:58:56 UTC
Post by Bill Saunders
Post by azigni
You need to let the group know your laptop info, what distro and programs
you are running, what you are doing at the moment.
Otherwise you may as well say, "My room gets dark, can you help me fix
it?"
They're all working now.  I used this webpage to determine that, like illustrated there, my current SysRq value was
also "176" not all of the functions of REISUB were working.  After resetting the value to "1" (enabling all
functions), when I go through each step now something happens.  So I guess the functionality of the processes involved
with REISUB was only partially enabled by default it seems.
Forgot the webpage
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-enable-all-sysrq-functions-on-linux
more details:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html
--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/
Missile address: N31.7624/E34.9691
Bill Saunders
2020-08-22 14:58:07 UTC
Post by Henry Crun
Post by Bill Saunders
Post by azigni
You need to let the group know your laptop info, what distro and programs
you are running, what you are doing at the moment.
Otherwise you may as well say, "My room gets dark, can you help me fix
it?"
They're all working now.  I used this webpage to determine that, like
illustrated there, my current SysRq value was also "176" not all of
the functions of REISUB were working.  After resetting the value to
"1" (enabling all functions), when I go through each step now
something happens.  So I guess the functionality of the processes
involved with REISUB was only partially enabled by default it seems.
Forgot the webpage
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-enable-all-sysrq-functions-on-linux
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html
Thanks for the follow up! I more often that not, a year down the road
when I have forgotten all of this or anything else, will often refer
back to my old posts as reference!