No sound
Dieter Britz
2020-10-20 07:52:56 UTC
I know someone is going to say OFF TOPIC! But I think
this a Kubuntu setting problem so here I am.

My Thinkpad laptop does produce sound out of the socket
when I e.g. play a Youtube clip using my ear phones, so
the sound system does work. But both Amarok and Audacity
produce no sound at all.

Is there a system setting for this?
Dieter Britz
Dirk T. Verbeek
2020-10-20 16:01:37 UTC
Post by Dieter Britz
I know someone is going to say OFF TOPIC! But I think
this a Kubuntu setting problem so here I am.
My Thinkpad laptop does produce sound out of the socket
when I e.g. play a Youtube clip using my ear phones, so
the sound system does work. But both Amarok and Audacity
produce no sound at all.
Is there a system setting for this?
Yes and no.
Right-click on the speaker symbol in the taskbar and select the
configuration. Look especially at 'Audio' and make sure the correct
hardware is associated with the specific application.
Dirk T. Verbeek
Oops, what I just wrote is specific for KDE.
red floyd
That's OK, OP was asking about Kubuntu.
Mike Easter
2020-10-20 17:23:23 UTC
Post by Dieter Britz
My Thinkpad laptop does produce sound out of the socket
when I e.g. play a Youtube clip using my ear phones,
Which ThinkPad? There are a lot of them.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad x131e which is AMD apu. I booted knoppix which
is KDE over Debian. Knop has inxi by default which reports two devices,
AMD Wrestler hdmi w/ snd_hda_intel driver and AMD FCH Azalea w/ the same
driver.

I didn't test the headphone plug, but the KDE system settings function
for audio allows me to test the default alsa playback which makes sound
from the device itself.

If Kub doesn't have inxi by default, I would install it from the repo/s;
it is a wonderful script for reporting hardware and other.

inxi -A is enough; inxi -Axx is a little more.
2020-10-20 17:45:45 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
I didn't test the headphone plug, but the KDE system settings function
for audio allows me to test the default alsa playback which makes sound
from the device itself.
However, a default feature of knoppix is that it gives the user a
'taste' of Adriane speech support for visually impaired during bootup
and shutdown. That taste was missing from my ThinkPad's start/shutdown.

I'll have to get some headphone/buds to see if it happens thru' the plug.
2020-10-20 19:40:46 UTC
Post by Dieter Britz
I know someone is going to say OFF TOPIC! But I think
this a Kubuntu setting problem so here I am.
My Thinkpad laptop does produce sound out of the socket
when I e.g. play a Youtube clip using my ear phones, so
the sound system does work. But both Amarok and Audacity
produce no sound at all.
Is there a system setting for this?
ThinkPad x131e AMD Kub 18.04.4, inxi -A as described and knopp Adriane
speech /does/ sample via headset on startup&shutdown.

Kub notification area has a sound icon which gives access to playback
devices settings (as well as an Applications tab). That hamburger shows
the headphones as a port, but it shows 'speakers unavailable' which
corresponds to the Adriane experience. The default doesn't recognize
the little laptop speaker.

So, I would say that my ThinkPad 'outofthebox' does not have sufficient
speaker configuration on Kub 18, but it does satisfactory w/ headset.

It doesn't have Audacity or Amarok by default. I installed those and
Amarok plays its theme song via the headset.
Yrrah
2020-10-21 15:47:31 UTC
Post by Dieter Britz
My Thinkpad laptop does produce sound out of the socket
when I e.g. play a Youtube clip using my ear phones, so
the sound system does work. But both Amarok and Audacity
produce no sound at all.
Is there a system setting for this?
You could check Audacity's sound settings (Preferences; Devices).
I don't know about Amarok, but the Audacious audio player has its own
sound output options, which I had to set manually (Output plugin;
Settings, PCM device & Mixer device). I use ALSA output, not
PulseAudio, and an external USB DA/amplifier.

Yrrah
Corvid
2020-10-22 03:50:53 UTC
I know someone is going to say OFF TOPIC! But I think this a Kubuntu
setting problem so here I am.
I had a KDE setting problem. Neon, ubuntu 20.04-based, sound quit after
an update.
My Thinkpad laptop does produce sound out of the socket when I e.g.
play a Youtube clip using my ear phones, so the sound system does
work. But both Amarok and Audacity produce no sound at all.
Is there a system setting for this?
Right-click the panel's dead-looking speaker icon... Settings...
Advanced tab... change from Stereo to anything else, and then right back
to Stereo again.

I had to do that after every boot, and then it worked until next time.

The enduring fix was to downgrade pipewire from 3.8.x to 2.7.x