par2 syntax
Notta Goodidea
2021-01-04 17:44:22 UTC
In Pan I downloaded several archives and parity files. One archive was
corrupted so I installed par2. After reading man par2 I thought I had
a sense of what syntax par2 expected.
I typed
par2 verify <name of parity file.par2> and also tried
par2 verify <name of parity file.par2> <name of archive
file.part*.rar>

and in both cases received the error "failed to set main archive"

I am not sure what I am doing that is failing to set the main archive.
2021-01-04 19:01:37 UTC
Post by Notta Goodidea
par2 verify <name of parity file.par2> and also tried
In this example, is the name of the main file "name of parity file"
synatax *exactly* like that string in your verify command.

par2 expects that you should NOT have to designate 'name of parity file'
because its full and complete and accurate name has been expressed in
the name that precedes dot par2.

example:

par2 verify test.mpg.par2

There is no 'archive' or test.mpg necessary in the verify command.

I think; I don't have experience w/ par2; I'm just reading the man par2.

The fact that your error says "failed to set main archive" suggests that
'there is something wrong with' your 'name of parity file' string in the
verify command.
2021-01-04 19:13:45 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
par2 verify test.mpg.par2
There is no 'archive' or test.mpg necessary in the verify command.
I think; I don't have experience w/ par2; I'm just reading the man par2.
Reading some more man par2, there is an option -a which apparently is
needed if the above test.mpg.par2 doesn't match 'test.mpg' for the
archive; so, if the name of the par2 file isn't matching and you are
going to give par2 the name of the archive, you need the -a.

Perhaps:

par2 verify -a test.mpg.par2 someother.name

... because the option -a says 'set the main par2 archive name'.