access files in phone LG K20 PLUS using Ubuntu 18.04 PC
bilsch01
2020-06-23 21:49:01 UTC
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There are
.jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have accessed these
before using Win10 via an application called LGBridge. I now want to
access the files in the phone's internal storage using Ubuntu 18.04.
When phone is cabled to the pc the file manager shows a folder called:

LG TP 260

which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?

TIA. Bill S.
bilsch01
2020-06-23 22:09:44 UTC
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There are
.jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have accessed these
before using Win10 via an application called LGBridge. I now want to
access the files in the phone's internal storage using Ubuntu 18.04.
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA.   Bill S.
I do not want to do it via email, I want to do it with the USB cable.
Thanks.
Dirk T. Verbeek
2020-06-23 22:23:03 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There
are .jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have accessed
these before using Win10 via an application called LGBridge. I now
want to access the files in the phone's internal storage using Ubuntu
18.04. When phone is cabled to the pc the file manager shows a folder
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA.   Bill S.
I do not want to do it via email, I want to do it with the USB cable.
Thanks.
You are sure you enabled USB file access on the phone?
The application called "Rapid Photo Downloader" might be helpful.
Paul
2020-06-23 22:26:50 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There
are .jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have accessed
these before using Win10 via an application called LGBridge. I now
want to access the files in the phone's internal storage using Ubuntu
18.04. When phone is cabled to the pc the file manager shows a folder
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA. Bill S.
I do not want to do it via email, I want to do it with the USB cable.
Thanks.
The first step, is to plug it in and try it.

*******

You could start with the basics. In PTP mode, your phone will
only show the DCIM folder. In MTP mode, more storage will be
evident, with no guarantee what you want to transfer, will be visible.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/146529/how-to-connect-mtp-devices-via-usb

Paul
Mike Yetto
2020-06-24 15:29:01 UTC
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There are
.jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have accessed these
before using Win10 via an application called LGBridge. I now want to
access the files in the phone's internal storage using Ubuntu 18.04.
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA.   Bill S.
I do not want to do it via email, I want to do it with the USB cable.
Thanks.
I use KDEConnect on several computers and phones here. It doesn't
use the usb connection, but is does connect with WiFi over the
local network.

<https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect>

Mike "if USB is a hard requirement then never mind" Yetto
--
"What is the cost of lies? It’s not that we’ll mistake them for the
truth. The real danger is that if we hear enough lies, then we no longer
- Craig Mazin, Chernobyl
Dirk T. Verbeek
Same here, it's like many things KDE quite versatile.
Arlen Holder
2020-06-26 21:32:50 UTC
Post by Dirk T. Verbeek
Same here, it's like many things KDE quite versatile.
KDEConnect does a _lot_ of things, in addition to copying files:
o KDE Connect is a keeper for sending & receiving files over your
Wi-Fi LAN to/from any desktop to/from any Android phone!
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/4x1rf1JefW8>

Here are some screenshots of KDEConnect running on the Android side:

The OP may want to run a search on the Android newsgroup:
o <http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android>
o <http://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com>

Where there are _many_ threads on how to seamlessly connect the Android
phone, over USB or WiFi or proprietary methods, to Windows and/or Linux.

As for KDEConnect, I agree, it's a keeper, particulary for Ubuntu 18.04!
o I'm so very happy J.O. Aho had suggested it to me on March 3rd 2020:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/rN0tMFWPwHo/OsFWn5y3CAAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/rN0tMFWPwHo/dAV8KE3aCAAJ>

The good news for the OP is KDEConnect works much more reliably on Linux:
o Does anyone have libmtp freeware currently working on Linux or Windows
who can show us how to COPY files to/from unrooted Android over USB
using libmtp?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/8ICXfG2MIrs>

On Windows, KDE Connect appears to be kind of flaky, although it depends:
o Why would SMB seem to be more reliable than WebDav or FTP or KDEConnect,
etc., for Wi-Fi "network connections" between Android & Windows?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/KAr3I1KY8Gg>
Usenet allows purposefully helpful adults to exchange useful information.
bilsch01
2020-06-24 20:01:10 UTC
Post by Mike Yetto
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There are
.jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have accessed these
before using Win10 via an application called LGBridge. I now want to
access the files in the phone's internal storage using Ubuntu 18.04.
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA.   Bill S.
I do not want to do it via email, I want to do it with the USB cable.
Thanks.
I use KDEConnect on several computers and phones here. It doesn't
use the usb connection, but is does connect with WiFi over the
local network.
<https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect>
Mike "if USB is a hard requirement then never mind" Yetto
I don't need to do USB, wifi would be fine.

I installed something on my phone called:
kde connect android app
I installed something on my PC called:
kde connect indicator (that's from the Ubuntu Software Center).

When I request pairing using the PC it spins a while and then says:
error trying to pair: Timed out.
When I request pairing using the phone, it spins a while then says:
cancelled by other peer.

I feel like I'm almost there. But, as so often happens in the computer
world, it was much time wasted with nothing to show for it.
Dirk T. Verbeek
2020-06-24 20:55:20 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Mike Yetto
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
[...]
Something I am not familiar with.
The app to look for is called "kdeconnect".

I noticed there are also Gnome-specific applications but have zero
experience with them.
Mike Yetto
2020-06-24 22:57:53 UTC
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by bilsch01
kde connect indicator (that's from the Ubuntu Software Center).
You want KDEConnect. Try 'sudo apt install kdeconnect'.
Post by bilsch01
I feel like I'm almost there. But, as so often happens in the computer
world, it was much time wasted with nothing to show for it.
After you install KDEConnect you just do what you tried before
and accept the connection.

Mike "as always there's preferences to choose" Yetto
--
"Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to
believe, but in their readiness to doubt."
- H. L. Mencken
bilsch01
2020-06-25 00:02:24 UTC
Post by Mike Yetto
So it is writ, so mote it be....
Post by bilsch01
I feel like I'm almost there. But, as so often happens in the computer
world, it was much time wasted with nothing to show for it.
After you install KDEConnect you just do what you tried before
and accept the connection.
Mike "as always there's preferences to choose" Yetto
I got it now. A black-colored notice that is displayed momentarily by
'KDE connect indicator' software
has the option 'accept' if you move your pointer over the notice. The
reason for the 'timed out' status was because I was not clicking
'accept' on time.

Thanks every one for the help.
Arlen Holder
2020-06-26 21:32:51 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I got it now. A black-colored notice that is displayed momentarily by
'KDE connect indicator' software
has the option 'accept' if you move your pointer over the notice. The
reason for the 'timed out' status was because I was not clicking
'accept' on time.
IMHO, KDEConnect is a keeper, and, when it works, it's very convenient for
small numbers of files, but when you want to copy the entire file system of
Android over to the PC, I wouldn't use KDE Connect.

Also, KDEConnect is flaky as all hell (in my experience) on Windows.
o Although it matters _greatly_ which KDE Connect you install!
(ask me how I know)

If the OP looks at this post, he'll find _many_ options, including KDE:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/rN0tMFWPwHo/cMjITE7aCAAJ>

For example, here's a snippet from that post:
Here's a quick summary of what I've used in the past for easy "mounting" of
the entire Android file system (including the root filesystem) using an
unrooted Nougat phone on Windows and Ubuntu.

1. MTP over USB: (*MTPDrive*)
o Android set to MTP + MTPDrive payware on Windows
o Mount the Android filesystem as a drive letter on Windows
o MTPDrive limited to 30 files transferred per session
Tested with:
MTPDrive <http://mtpdrive.com/download.html>

2. MTP over USB: (*Linux*)
o Android set to MTP + dual-boot Ubuntu with Windows
o There are no limits whatsoever as to what you can do
Tested with:
Ubuntu 18.04 <https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop>

3. WebDAV over WiFi: (*net use)
o WebDAV freeware server on Android + "net use" on Windows
o Mount the Android filesystem as a drive letter on Windfreeware isows
o There are no limits whatsoever as to what you can do
Tested with:

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>

4. FTP over WiFi: (*DirectNetDrive*)`-----------+34q237690`-* -++
o FTP freeware server on Android + DnD freeware on Windows
o Mount the Android filesystem as a drive letter using DnD freeware
o There are no limits whatsoever as to what you can do
Tested with:
DirectNetDrive <http://www.directnet-drive.net/>

5. FTP over WiFi: (*NetDrive 1.3.2.0*)
o FTP freeware server on Android + (older) NetDrive freeware on Windows
o Mount the Android filesystem as a drive letter using NetDrive freeware
o There are no limits whatsoever as to what you can do
Tested with:
NetDrive 1.3.2.0 <https://filehippo.com/download_netdrive/12615/>

Those interested in solving this rather difficult problem, please see the
kdeconnect solution purposefully helpfully proposed by J.O. Aho on the
subthread with the windows group removed:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/rN0tMFWPwHo/OsFWn5y3CAAJ>

"KDE Connect is an Android app and a Desktop app that acts as a
bridge between your mobile devices and your computers....
KDE Connect supports sending files bi-directionally between
your devices as well as mounting your mobile devices to the
file manager of your computer to wirelessly browse your devices"
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect_tp>
<https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kde-connect-sync-android-linux/>
Adults working together to solve problems is what Usenet is all about.
bilsch01
https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/
Paul
2020-06-24 06:18:36 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There
are .jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have accessed
these before using Win10 via an application called LGBridge. I now
want to access the files in the phone's internal storage using Ubuntu
18.04. When phone is cabled to the pc the file manager shows a folder
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA. Bill S.
https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/
Did you get it working ?

Paul
bilsch01
2020-06-24 16:04:08 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There
are .jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have
accessed these before using Win10 via an application called LGBridge.
I now want to access the files in the phone's internal storage using
Ubuntu 18.04. When phone is cabled to the pc the file manager shows a
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA.   Bill S.
https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/
Did you get it working ?
   Paul
No I didn't get it working. The article was an interesting read. I
believe I understand. But the phone doesn't ask me if I want to use MTP
LG TP 260 - which is empty.
Bobbie Sellers
2020-06-24 16:11:24 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Paul
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There
are .jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have
accessed these before using Win10 via an application called
LGBridge. I now want to access the files in the phone's internal
storage using Ubuntu 18.04. When phone is cabled to the pc the file
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA.   Bill S.
https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/
Did you get it working ?
    Paul
No I didn't get it working. The article was an interesting read. I
believe I understand. But the phone doesn't ask me if I want to use MTP
 LG TP 260 - which is empty.
I find that Android on my old tablet, not a phone, can be configured to
connect as a camera or storage device. Then USB
connection to the computer and open with File Manager in my case
Dolphin and then I can look around the file tree. Probably could
connect via WiFi but I prefer wired connections whenever possible.

I was going to run Linux on this tablet but it is hardwired
and uses firmware to make that more difficult than I can attempt.
I think my next tablet will be a used Surface.

bliss
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
Dirk T. Verbeek
2020-06-24 18:14:36 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Post by Paul
Post by bilsch01
Post by bilsch01
This LG K20 PLUS phone has no SD card, only internal storage. There
are .jpg files and .mp3 files in the internal storage. I have
accessed these before using Win10 via an application called
LGBridge. I now want to access the files in the phone's internal
storage using Ubuntu 18.04. When phone is cabled to the pc the file
LG TP 260
which it says is empty. How can I access the files on the phone?
TIA.   Bill S.
https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/
Did you get it working ?
    Paul
No I didn't get it working. The article was an interesting read. I
believe I understand. But the phone doesn't ask me if I want to use MTP
 LG TP 260 - which is empty.
Another option is an 'On The Go' USB connector, that way you can connect
an external disk or flash drive and copy from the phone to this drive.
Anssi Saari
2020-06-25 12:21:54 UTC
Post by bilsch01
No I didn't get it working. The article was an interesting read. I
believe I understand. But the phone doesn't ask me if I want to use
LG TP 260 - which is empty.
All my Android devices have a USB preferences menu where the mode can be
selected. They have "file transfer" which would be MTP and there's PTP
as well as some others that aren't relevant. Worth a look.
Andreyevich Zhivago
2020-07-18 19:04:17 UTC
Post by bilsch01
No I didn't get it working. The article was an interesting read. I
believe I understand. But the phone doesn't ask me if I want to use MTP
LG TP 260 - which is empty.
If you connect your phone to your computer, there will appear a
notification in the notification bar.You have to pull down the bar to see
it. "Android System". When you click on it, you'll see the options like
PTP and MTP. You can play with those to see if it works for you.

What are you trying to do? If you just want to see the files on your
phone via your computer, I cannot help. If you want to copy those files
to your computer, it can be done easy with adb.I can help you with adb,
if that's the thing you want to do.

Arlen Holder
2020-06-26 21:12:07 UTC
Post by bilsch01
How can I access the files on the phone?
Assuming a non-rooted Android phone...

On either Windows or on Ubuntu 18.04, you can read access _all_ the files.
o Even protected system files (such as the hosts file, for example).

For free.

You have full read access to the entire file system (even system files)...
o And write access to the non-root file system (like data files).

Over USB or WiFi
o And over proprietary protocols

I know 'cuz I wrote the tutorials that Cybe(r) Wizard claims don't exist.
o :)

Linux:
o Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back and forth
over USB at 7GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices
(no proprietary software needed)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/WqIDiVbawRs>

Windows:
o Tutorial: How to connect Android to Windows as a drive letter over
a Wi-Fi LAN for free simple reliable bidirectional copy
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/9Lu2_dPsu6o>
When adults post with purposefully helpful intent, everyone benefits.
Wildman
2020-06-26 21:32:34 UTC
Post by Arlen Holder
I know 'cuz I wrote the tutorials that Cybe(r) Wizard claims don't exist.
o :)
No, that is not correct. Cybe wanted to see the list of the
10,000 tutorials you have written.
--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!
Arlen Holder
2020-06-26 21:57:30 UTC
UPDATE:

To continue to remain on topic, and to be purposefully helpful to the OP
o And to always strive to be purposefully helpful for all who read this

This tutorial thread may come in handy if the OP wishes to run commands
_directly_ on the Android filesystem from his desktop over USB or WiFi:
o *Tutorial to run any Windows command directly on Android over either USB or Wi-Fi*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/JrWLPRYO-TU>

See also this older tutorial which covers connections to Linux:
o *Tutorial to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/6PQmYWSk34I>

Note that, perhaps, we can get Android to connect to Linux inside WSL:
o *Tutorial for setting up Ubuntu as a Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL in Windows 10*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/PV4Shdb67iM>

And, if the OP also wants to tie in an iOS mobile device, see this tutorial
o Tutorial to read/write access iOS file systems on Ubuntu/Windows over USB
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/z_KXY4IHLe0>

All these (and more) can be found with a simple search of:
o <http://tinyurl.com/alt-os-linux>
o <http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android>
o <http://tinyurl.com/windowsxp-general>
etc.
--
There are only two kinds of people who post to Usenet... those intending on
adding value, and those who can't.