Nagging Mythtv problem
pinnerite
2024-05-16 20:50:03 UTC
I have had Mythtv version 34, for several weeks but two features
unavailable:

1) The Programme Guide is unpopulated;
2) I cannot change channels from Live TV except by the up or down keys.

There is a clue on System Status -> Listings Status where the following
is displayed. WARNING:is mythtfilldatabase running?
I have run it from the terminal several times with no improvement.

Although this has been postd on the Mythtv Forum -> troubleshooting for
several days there have been no suggestions.

TIA
--
Linux Mint 21.3 kernel version 5.15.0-107-generic Cinnamon 6.0.4
AMD Ryzen 7 7700, Radeon RX 6600, 32GB DDR5, 1TB SSD, 2TB Barracuda
Paul
2024-05-16 21:30:03 UTC
Post by pinnerite
I have had Mythtv version 34, for several weeks but two features
1) The Programme Guide is unpopulated;
2) I cannot change channels from Live TV except by the up or down keys.
There is a clue on System Status -> Listings Status where the following
is displayed. WARNING:is mythtfilldatabase running?
I have run it from the terminal several times with no improvement.
Although this has been postd on the Mythtv Forum -> troubleshooting for
several days there have been no suggestions.
TIA
There seems to be some difference, between having mythtv running
the mythfilldatabase command via automation or script, and the
user issuing an actual (different) command to gather guide data. Perhaps the
script is running as the wrong user. Now, this article is from
seventeen years ago, and of course totally irrelevant, but it
is just the approach which has likely been preserved over the years.

http://forum.linhes.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9941

I would examine the pieces on disk, for signs of "clueless scripting" :-)

One user resorted to a chmod 777 to make the account running
the command, less of an issue.

*******

And if you Google this:

mythfilldatabase not running automatically

enjoy it while you can, because Google is about to ruin search.
Your next search may be via DuckDuckGo.com .

Paul
pinnerite
2024-05-17 17:59:43 UTC
On Thu, 16 May 2024 17:30:03 -0400
Post by Paul
Post by pinnerite
[...]
Thank you, although helpful and moved me forward, it hasn't solved the problem.
I have never before had to install xmltv. I have now. :)

Alan
Paul
2024-05-17 19:15:26 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by pinnerite
[...]
When you install MythTV, is the distro important to you on this particular machine ?

Would another curated version of MythTV work better ?

I've tried MythTV before. One time, it took me forever, to convince
my WinTV card to work. I just could not get the tuner to attach.
I eventually got it to work, but wasn't really sure what made
the difference.

A second attempt, maybe a couple years later, no amount of work made
the tuner work. I gave up.

Maybe you could check around, and someone else has a better-prepared
Myth install which would come up with less fuss.

My old tuner is back in its box now, and there is another tuner
(for the Digital TV era). It already came with software, which is
why I haven't had a chance to try another MythTV run.

You should be checking whatever logs are on there, for an evidence stream.
I'm sure you've looked in here, many times by now.

/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

Paul
pinnerite
2024-05-18 19:46:58 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by pinnerite
[...]
The problem is solved but I am not sure why.
My mythbackend.log was full of lines Saying error unable to delete file.
I posted a request seeking advice as to how to eliminate them.

I was pointed to an FAQ "How do I fremove recordings that no longer
exist on disk?"

I followed the steps outlined and when I restarted the
frontend, the Programme Guide was populated and the Forthcoming
Recordings list was too!

Alan
Paul
2024-05-18 20:37:29 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by pinnerite
[...]
It might have been a disk space problem. Just a guess.

Paul
pinnerite
2024-05-20 12:11:22 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by pinnerite
[...]
I spoke (wrote) too soon.
The next time I booted up, the list of recordings was empty!
I tried to record something this morning but it didn't.
I have plenty of disk space.
As soon as I get time I will review the FAQs before screaming Help!
|ATB

Alan
pinnerite
2024-05-27 21:33:51 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by pinnerite
> [...]
Paul
The problem is solved but I am not sure why.
My mythbackend.log was full of lines Saying error unable to delete file.
I posted a request seeking advice as to how to eliminate them.
I was pointed to an FAQ "How do I fremove recordings that no longer
exist on disk?"
I followed the steps outlined and when I restarted the
frontend, the Programme Guide was populated and the Forthcoming
Recordings list was too!
Alan
It might have been a disk space problem. Just a guess.
Paul
I spoke (wrote) too soon.
The next time I booted up, the list of recordings was empty!
I tried to record something this morning but it didn't.
I have plenty of disk space.
As soon as I get time I will review the FAQs before screaming Help!
Alan
I have examined the Backend and the Frontend logs. I took copies and
highlighted rows that might prove iffy and submitted tham to the mythtv
Forum but am reliant on volunteers that might be out of ideas.

Items can be recorded, they just don't show up in mythTV.
The files can be un from a player but I cannot tell from the recorded
files what the programmes are.
I have to run them for a bit to find out.

Alan