Almost done doing my last backup
philo
2024-05-27 13:03:10 UTC
Now that I'm up and running again, I temporarily put my 1TB backup ssd
into my machine in order to back up one last folder. The drive was
pretty full so I first decided to delete a few hundred gigs of stuff I
don't need. I'm using the "Caja" file manager and it will not allow me
to delete anything unless I open the manager as root.

Perhaps there is a bit too much safety here?

Anyway, when I deleted the data, I assumed it was a full delete as none
of it ended up in my trash bin.
Wrong assumption.

It went into the root trash bin which is not accessible fro Caja .

I had to open a root terminal to delete the trash

Good thing I'm an old timer and could easily do so from Midnight Commander

I'd hate to see a newbie try a task like this that really should be a
trivial matter.

Anyway...I always try to find some good news in a "bad" experience.

When I opened my machine to add the ssd, I had a look at a now-working
PCIe USB-3 port.

LOL...I forgot to hook up the power cable.

Since I've managed to get along fine for three years without having even
tried the port, I removed it from my machine>

Sheesh, what fun
Paul
2024-05-27 18:02:38 UTC
[...]
Normally, there is a switching converter in the upper left corner
of the card, and it makes 5V for the ports. The PCIe slot only
has 3.3V and 12V, and the converter does 12V to 5.0V for the port.

On some super-cheap cards, they "neglect" to put the switching
components in the upper left corner. While normally the Aux Power
port on the right-hand end of the card is Optional (Heavy Loads),
when the converter is missing, the Molex (+5V,+12V) or the
SATA15p (3.3V,5V,12V) is used as a source of 5V for the port.
That means you absolutely have to hook it up.

Paul
philo
2024-05-27 18:30:39 UTC
Post by Paul
[...]
It was a dumb mistake on my part. I know many cards require external power.

I'm more concerned with having to open Caja as root in order to delete
files on that drive.

I don't have to do anything special to delete data on the drives that
are normally installed in the machine.

I have the drive put away now, I image that when I created it, I gave it
root ownership.
Gordon
2024-05-27 23:07:18 UTC
Post by philo
Now that I'm up and running again, I temporarily put my 1TB backup ssd
into my machine in order to back up one last folder. The drive was
pretty full so I first decided to delete a few hundred gigs of stuff I
don't need. I'm using the "Caja" file manager and it will not allow me
to delete anything unless I open the manager as root.
What were the permissions of the files you wished to delete?
Sheesh, what fun
philo
2024-05-27 23:40:46 UTC
Post by Gordon
Post by philo
Now that I'm up and running again, I temporarily put my 1TB backup ssd
into my machine in order to back up one last folder. The drive was
pretty full so I first decided to delete a few hundred gigs of stuff I
don't need. I'm using the "Caja" file manager and it will not allow me
to delete anything unless I open the manager as root.
What were the permissions of the files you wished to delete?
That drive is packed away now but I checked another backup drive. I see
quite few folders did not have "create and delete" access. They were
"access" only.

Next time I put that drive back in service I'll be sure to correct that
and in the future pay better attention.

Side note, I decided not to remove the USB-3 card, it took five seconds
to plug in the power cable.

With the size of some of my backup drives, yes, I want USB-3
Sheesh, what fun
Jonathan N. Little
2024-05-28 00:04:45 UTC
Post by philo
Post by philo
Now that I'm up and running again, I temporarily put my 1TB backup ssd
into my machine in order to back up one last folder. The drive was
pretty full so I first decided to delete a few hundred gigs of stuff I
don't need. I'm using the "Caja" file manager and it will not allow me
to delete anything unless I open the manager as root.
What were the permissions  of the files you wished to delete?
That drive is packed away now but I checked another backup drive. I see
quite few folders did not have "create and delete" access. They were
"access" only.
Next time I put that drive back in service I'll be sure to correct that
and in the future pay better attention.
sudo chown --recursive YOUR_ID:YOUR_ID /PATH/TO/MOUNTED/VOLUME/*
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
philo
2024-05-28 00:16:20 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by philo
Post by philo
Now that I'm up and running again, I temporarily put my 1TB backup ssd
into my machine in order to back up one last folder. The drive was
pretty full so I first decided to delete a few hundred gigs of stuff I
don't need. I'm using the "Caja" file manager and it will not allow me
to delete anything unless I open the manager as root.
What were the permissions  of the files you wished to delete?
That drive is packed away now but I checked another backup drive. I see
quite few folders did not have "create and delete" access. They were
"access" only.
Next time I put that drive back in service I'll be sure to correct that
and in the future pay better attention.
sudo chown --recursive YOUR_ID:YOUR_ID /PATH/TO/MOUNTED/VOLUME/*
Yep, the backup drive I've got connected now is all fixed.