Printer problem again
philo
2024-05-03 15:08:48 UTC
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with
Ubuntu 22.04

I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in the
queue.

Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.

Now,even that no longer works.
It's set up as a network printer but same problem if I use USB,

Printer works fine from Windows.

Any idea how to fix this once and for all?

Thanks
azigni
2024-05-03 17:15:23 UTC
I had the same printer and same problem. The last Brother printer update
did it in. It would connect to wifi, then drop off sometime later. I left
it at Goodwill. Not too happy with Brother over that.
philo
2024-05-03 21:50:49 UTC
Post by azigni
I had the same printer and same problem. The last Brother printer update
did it in. It would connect to wifi, then drop off sometime later. I left
it at Goodwill. Not too happy with Brother over that.
I have a friend who is looking for a Windows printer, I might just give
it to them

but I'd need to know a printer that works from Linux

for sure
Paul
2024-05-03 17:16:56 UTC
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with Ubuntu 22.04
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in the queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Now,even that no longer works.
It's set up as a network printer but same problem if I use USB,
Printer works fine from Windows.
Any idea how to fix this once and for all?
Thanks
It does not have that "once and for all" look to it.
The last poster in the thread, seems to think apparmor plays a part.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1397171/unable-to-work-with-brother-hl-l2370dw-printer-after-the-xubuntu-upgrade

Paul
philo
2024-05-03 21:49:42 UTC
Post by Paul
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with Ubuntu 22.04
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in the queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Now,even that no longer works.
It's set up as a network printer but same problem if I use USB,
Printer works fine from Windows.
Any idea how to fix this once and for all?
Thanks
It does not have that "once and for all" look to it.
The last poster in the thread, seems to think apparmor plays a part.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1397171/unable-to-work-with-brother-hl-l2370dw-printer-after-the-xubuntu-upgrade
Paul
Thanks for the reply

I'm wondering if the printer is at fault

It does not work from my Mint install either and printing from my phone
is not working either.

But it works fine from Windows , so I'm puzzled.

Will have to investigate more
Marco Moock
2024-05-03 19:43:11 UTC
Post by philo
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in
the queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Please check the CUPS logs. Should reside under /var/log/cups.
--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to ***@cartoonies.org
philo
2024-05-03 21:47:42 UTC
Post by Marco Moock
Post by philo
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in
the queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Please check the CUPS logs. Should reside under /var/log/cups.
Thank you. Here is the error log:

Here is the error log:

E [03/May/2024:08:21:35 -0500] [Job 169] The printer is not responding.
E [03/May/2024:08:23:25 -0500] [Client 63] Returning IPP
client-error-document-format-not-supported for Send-Document
(ipp://localhost:631/printers/CUPS-BRF-Printer) from localhost.
E [03/May/2024:08:23:47 -0500] Brother_HL_L2370DW_series: Unable to
connect to BRWCC5EF83052F7.local:631: Name or service not known
Paul
2024-05-03 22:23:47 UTC
Post by philo
Post by Marco Moock
Post by philo
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in
the queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Please check the CUPS logs. Should reside under /var/log/cups.
E [03/May/2024:08:21:35 -0500] [Job 169] The printer is not responding.
E [03/May/2024:08:23:25 -0500] [Client 63] Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Send-Document (ipp://localhost:631/printers/CUPS-BRF-Printer) from localhost.
E [03/May/2024:08:23:47 -0500] Brother_HL_L2370DW_series: Unable to connect to BRWCC5EF83052F7.local:631: Name or service not known
The problem is IPP related then. Then you have to figure out
whether this is related to ippusbxd or whatever replaces it.

Paul
philo
2024-05-03 23:56:18 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by philo
Post by Marco Moock
Post by philo
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in
the queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Please check the CUPS logs. Should reside under /var/log/cups.
E [03/May/2024:08:21:35 -0500] [Job 169] The printer is not responding.
E [03/May/2024:08:23:25 -0500] [Client 63] Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Send-Document (ipp://localhost:631/printers/CUPS-BRF-Printer) from localhost.
E [03/May/2024:08:23:47 -0500] Brother_HL_L2370DW_series: Unable to connect to BRWCC5EF83052F7.local:631: Name or service not known
The problem is IPP related then. Then you have to figure out
whether this is related to ippusbxd or whatever replaces it.
Paul
That was using the Brother printer driver though which never worked

Will fool around a bit more.

Things seem to be getting worse...now the printer is not even being
detected.
Marco Moock
2024-05-04 08:05:05 UTC
Post by philo
E [03/May/2024:08:21:35 -0500] [Job 169] The printer is not
responding. E [03/May/2024:08:23:25 -0500] [Client 63] Returning IPP
client-error-document-format-not-supported for Send-Document
(ipp://localhost:631/printers/CUPS-BRF-Printer) from localhost.
E [03/May/2024:08:23:47 -0500] Brother_HL_L2370DW_series: Unable to
connect to BRWCC5EF83052F7.local:631: Name or service not known
Please try USB and try to print simple text from the text editor.
--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to ***@cartoonies.org
philo
2024-05-04 22:55:45 UTC
Post by Marco Moock
Post by philo
E [03/May/2024:08:21:35 -0500] [Job 169] The printer is not
responding. E [03/May/2024:08:23:25 -0500] [Client 63] Returning IPP
client-error-document-format-not-supported for Send-Document
(ipp://localhost:631/printers/CUPS-BRF-Printer) from localhost.
E [03/May/2024:08:23:47 -0500] Brother_HL_L2370DW_series: Unable to
connect to BRWCC5EF83052F7.local:631: Name or service not known
Please try USB and try to print simple text from the text editor.
USB does not work either

It's still under warranty so I'm taking it in
philo
2024-05-04 00:14:48 UTC
Post by philo
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with
Ubuntu 22.04
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in the
queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Now,even that no longer works.
It's set up as a network printer but same problem if I use USB,
Printer works fine from Windows.
Any idea how to fix this once and for all?
Thanks
I am going to look up my warranty info.

Now it's totally dead, will not ever work from Windows

even after setting it back to factory defaults

Thanks all
Paul
2024-05-04 05:31:54 UTC
Post by philo
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with Ubuntu 22.04
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in the queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Now,even that no longer works.
It's set up as a network printer but same problem if I use USB,
Printer works fine from Windows.
Any idea how to fix this once and for all?
Thanks
I am going to look up my warranty info.
Now it's totally dead, will not ever work from Windows
even after setting it back to factory defaults
Thanks all
Does it use chipped toner ?
Does it count printed pages, instead of sensing toner fill ?

I would not expect that in a Brother. Yet...

https://www.v4ink.com/Does-the-cartridge-of-Brother-HL-L2350DW-need-to-replace-the-chip

Paul
azigni
2024-05-04 07:59:20 UTC
My replacement 2570dw just did the same thing. I am not a happy camper...

I have Google mesh routers, fwiw

I found a web page that claims this occasionally happens to Brother
printers. They look like all is well, but should be turned off and turned
back on.

I had to reenter the lan password, then everything worked as it should.

I had no problem with my 2370dw until I did the last software update. Now
I have it already with this new 2570....

Definitely not happy.
philo
2024-05-04 22:54:17 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by philo
[...]
Does not

It really is dead

Still under warranty. Will prob take in in Monday
rsutton
2024-05-04 15:04:18 UTC
Post by philo
Post by philo
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working
with Ubuntu 22.04
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in
the queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Now,even that no longer works.
It's set up as a network printer but same problem if I use USB,
Printer works fine from Windows.
Any idea how to fix this once and for all?
Thanks
I am going to look up my warranty info.
Now it's totally dead, will not ever work from Windows
even after setting it back to factory defaults
Thanks all
I have and use a Brother HL-2270DW which is the older version of your
printer, the HL-L2370. I use mine as a network printer and I have no
problems with it. Here are my notes for installing as a network printer
(if this doesn't help, maybe it will give you some ideas):

* Install the printer:
- select Settings->Printers
- click 'Add' to add a printer.

- under 'Network Printer',
click on 'Find Network Printer'
- on right side, type in the 'Host:' field
Host: HL2270DW.test
press 'Find'

- on right side check that
Host: HL2270DW.test
Port number: 9100
then
press 'Forward'.

- check everything looks okay...
- click on 'Apply'.

- select 'Print Test Page'
- if successful, a message box appears that says 'Submitted'
- click 'OK'

* Printer is successfully installed!
philo
2024-05-06 09:47:13 UTC
Post by rsutton
Post by philo
Post by philo
[...]
Yes, I know how to install a printer.
It is used on many machines, both Windows and Linux.

My wife's machine is Win11 and I didn't have to do anything, the machine
booted up and it was there.

I'm taking it in for warranty today.

What confused me was that the first problem was that it would no longer
print from any phone. Originally there was nothing to setup, it was just
there.

Then it stopped being detected.

Printer still worked with all the computers>

Then, a week later, none of my Linux computers worked with the printer
but the Windows machines did.

Finally two days later, none of the Windows machines could detect the
printer any more. Neither network or USB

So the printer is defective, but I would have expected all to have
failed at once.
azigni
2024-05-05 19:37:46 UTC
I did the latest Brother update, and my printer has stayed online for 2
whole days! Someone really must have goofed with one of the earlier
updates....
philo
2024-05-06 09:49:34 UTC
Post by azigni
I did the latest Brother update, and my printer has stayed online for 2
whole days! Someone really must have goofed with one of the earlier
updates....
Well, I'm taking it in for warranty today.

Wish Samsung still made printers.
My $100 Samsung lasted 12 years.

It still has not failed completely, just makes a LOT of noise but
eventually prints.
Jonathan N. Little
2024-05-06 21:49:34 UTC
Post by philo
Post by azigni
I did the latest Brother update, and my printer has stayed online for 2
whole days! Someone really must have goofed with one of the earlier
updates....
Well, I'm taking it in for warranty today.
Wish Samsung still made printers.
My $100 Samsung lasted 12 years.
It still has not failed completely, just makes a LOT of noise but
eventually prints.
Why I have found is all the new printers that used to be dependable
brands now all have issues. Such as requiring Internet access to
function even when directly connected or only on a local LAN (I'm
looking at you HP...) That is why I still hanging on to my HP LaserJet
2100 and I don't care that it's 25 years old!
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Killadebug
Pull my finger
philo
2024-05-07 00:11:07 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by philo
Post by azigni
I did the latest Brother update, and my printer has stayed online for 2
whole days! Someone really must have goofed with one of the earlier
updates....
Well, I'm taking it in for warranty today.
Wish Samsung still made printers.
My $100 Samsung lasted 12 years.
It still has not failed completely, just makes a LOT of noise but
eventually prints.
Why I have found is all the new printers that used to be dependable
brands now all have issues. Such as requiring Internet access to
function even when directly connected or only on a local LAN (I'm
looking at you HP...) That is why I still hanging on to my HP LaserJet
2100 and I don't care that it's 25 years old!
Still no authorization back from Brother but at least I now have my old
Samsung fixed.
Just needed a little oil.
philo
2024-05-09 14:54:38 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by philo
Post by azigni
I did the latest Brother update, and my printer has stayed online for 2
whole days! Someone really must have goofed with one of the earlier
updates....
Well, I'm taking it in for warranty today.
Wish Samsung still made printers.
My $100 Samsung lasted 12 years.
It still has not failed completely, just makes a LOT of noise but
eventually prints.
Why I have found is all the new printers that used to be dependable
brands now all have issues. Such as requiring Internet access to
function even when directly connected or only on a local LAN (I'm
looking at you HP...) That is why I still hanging on to my HP LaserJet
2100 and I don't care that it's 25 years old!
I am sure having problems with Brother

Local service center will not take printer.
They say I have to contact factory

Factory says, no. just bring it in.

I have been calling and emailing for four days now.

Glad I was able to repair my old Samsung

My advice is...to Hell with Brother
Mike Easter
2024-05-09 15:57:31 UTC
Post by philo
I am sure having problems with Brother
Local service center will not take printer. They say I have to
contact factory
As a 'general rule' products for *return* (defective out of the box for
refund or exchange) or for *repair* (b0rked during the warranty period)
MUST get an RMA Return to Manufacturer Authorization).
Post by philo
for an RMA (Return to Manufacturer Authorization) to return the
product for repair. Have your serial number ready and a technician
will try and troubleshoot your technical issue and if a repair is
necessary, they will issue an RMA number.
OTOH, there may be some kind of 'misunderstanding' as to the role of a
Brother /service center/ (I'm not sure what is the role of a BSS as
regards warranty work; maybe they don't do that)

https://www.brother-usa.com/-/media/brother/product-catalog-media/documents/2021/10/14/23/04/brother-1-year-limited-warranty.pdf
Post by philo
What to do if you think your Product is eligible for warranty
Report your issue to either Brother Customer Service or a Brother
Authorized Service Center within the applicable warranty period.
To contact our Brother Customer Service Hotline, call 1-877-BROTHER
(1-877-276- 8437) or visit https://www.brotherusa.com/contact-us.
For the name of a local Brother Authorized Service Center(s), call
our Brother Customer Service Hotline at the number above or visit
https://www.brother-usa.com/dealer-locator.
Supply Brother or the Brother Authorized Service Center with a copy
of your dated bill of sale showing that this Product was purchased
from an authorized Brother reseller within the U.S.
Mike Easter
philo
2024-05-09 16:27:27 UTC
Post by philo
for an RMA (Return to Manufacturer Authorization) to return the
product for repair. Have your serial number ready and a technician
will try and troubleshoot your technical issue and if a repair is
necessary, they will issue an RMA number.
I can understand that the service center would first want me to get an
RMA. In this case I think Brother was at fault for telling me I did not
need one.

Anyway I gave the service center the rcpt and s/n of the printer and
they said they will now submit to to Brother.
Had they accepted the printer and rcpt in the first place, they could
have saved all of us a lot of hassle.
Mike Easter
2024-05-09 17:48:15 UTC
In this case I think Brother was at fault for telling me I did not need
one.
I agree.

And, I also think that an authorized BSS should be able to 'facilitate'
the 'transaction' of /visualizing/ the 'credentials' namely the receipt
and the 'communication' of the nature of the problem.

I would think the earlier telephone call process, a two-way
communication in real-time OR even the slower email process (which would
require some scanning of a receipt) could get the RMA, but whoever you
were communicating w/ in that manner must've tho't that the local
service center /should/ help you do it.

Some kind of 'Brother' who-does-what misunderstanding.

A good friend of mine, no longer w/ us, would be writing a /great/
postal letter to somebody Brother about such a story. And he would get
all kinds of wonderful results from such communication with higher-ups.
Mike Easter
philo
2024-05-09 18:13:15 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by philo
[...]
I got an email from Brother telling me they will simply ship me a new one.

All I had to do is give them my shipping address and s/n of the machine.

I will put the blame on Brother rather than the service center.

If I indeed get a replacement, that will be fine with me.

I can dispose of the old machine at a recycling center near my house
philo
2024-05-09 19:30:26 UTC
Out of courtesy, I contacted the service center and told them Brother
will replace the printer. They confessed that they would not have looked
at it anyway as the small reimbursement they'd get would not make it
even worth while for a tech to look at it.

I'm convinced that both Brother and the service center deliberately make
things tough to deal with so that most people just give up.
azigni
2024-05-09 19:58:36 UTC
On Thu, 9 May 2024 14:30:26 -0500, philo wrote:
Post by philo
I'm convinced that both Brother and the service center deliberately make
things tough to deal with so that most people just give up.
I'm inclined to agree with you. That is the most profitable business model
for them to take. I hope your new printer arrives and all is well with it.

It's easy to make Brother look bad, but I wonder if any of the other
companies are any better? Let us know if your printer arrives.
philo
2024-05-10 01:22:08 UTC
Post by azigni
Post by philo
I'm convinced that both Brother and the service center deliberately make
things tough to deal with so that most people just give up.
I'm inclined to agree with you. That is the most profitable business model
for them to take. I hope your new printer arrives and all is well with it.
It's easy to make Brother look bad, but I wonder if any of the other
companies are any better? Let us know if your printer arrives.
If the new printer arrives, my attitude towards Brother probably will be
quite a bit better.
azigni
2024-05-10 02:33:10 UTC
No doubt. I think a lot of attitudes towards Brother will improve.
philo
2024-05-11 11:17:20 UTC
Post by azigni
No doubt. I think a lot of attitudes towards Brother will improve.
I was just informed that the new printer was shipped.
The product itself was fine, just horrible tech support.

BTW: I was happy to find that Brother has a Linux driver on their
website that comes with two possible configurations. Unfortunately
neither work. Using the Brother driver, there was no way I was able to
modify the configuration however.

I ended up using the Generic PCL-5e driver that allowed me to configure
the device to my choosing. Thankfully, I took notes because I have no
idea how I originally figured out the ipp configuration which was:

ipp://192.168.1.196:631/ipp

At a complete loss as to how I had figured that out six months ago as in
Linux, the ipp has to be entered manually, AFAIK there is no autodetect.
Mike Scott
2024-05-11 18:21:11 UTC
Post by philo
At a complete loss as to how I had figured that out six months ago as in
Linux, the ipp has to be entered manually, AFAIK there is no autodetect.
Surprising. I'm using mint - and my brother printer is auto-detected.
Which is annoying, as the PPD it uses is wrong(*). So I have a manual
copy alongside with a fixed PPD.

(*)
"True" != "true". I wonder about the mindset of some coders.
--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England
philo
2024-05-11 21:17:22 UTC
I now realize there is a non-working auto-detect that returns as soon as I delete it.
azigni
2024-05-12 02:14:36 UTC
Post by philo
I now realize there is a non-working auto-detect that returns as soon as I delete it.
Auto detect what?

A little off topic. I just read in 2600 magazine today that of you have an
HP printer you can not use all its functions unless you have the HP app on
your phone. Guess Brother isn't looking all that bad.
Heinz Schmitz
2024-05-12 08:14:19 UTC
Post by azigni
Post by philo
I now realize there is a non-working auto-detect that returns as soon as I delete it.
Auto detect what?
A little off topic. I just read in 2600 magazine today that of you have an
HP printer you can not use all its functions unless you have the HP app on
your phone. Guess Brother isn't looking all that bad.
Probably the world still has more Windows-Users than Linux-Users.
The Linux-pinter-driver for my Epson WF-2010 printer does what it
should, however ink-levels are only shown with the win-driver, which
also offers more utilities.

Regards,
H.
philo
2024-05-13 22:38:14 UTC
Post by Heinz Schmitz
Post by azigni
Post by philo
I now realize there is a non-working auto-detect that returns as soon as I delete it.
Auto detect what?
A little off topic. I just read in 2600 magazine today that of you have an
HP printer you can not use all its functions unless you have the HP app on
your phone. Guess Brother isn't looking all that bad.
Probably the world still has more Windows-Users than Linux-Users.
The Linux-pinter-driver for my Epson WF-2010 printer does what it
should, however ink-levels are only shown with the win-driver, which
also offers more utilities.
Regards,
H.
I never take part in the Windows vs Linux debate, I simply use the OS
that does the job best.

Most of the time I'm on my Linux my Linux machine>

If I'm doing photography, my good quality printer has no Linux support,
so I use Windows.
Dan Purgert
2024-05-13 09:38:37 UTC
Post by philo
I now realize there is a non-working auto-detect that returns as soon as I delete it.
Network printer? Brother's Zeroconf (mdns/bonjour) thing tends to not
be configured properly. I fixed it once on one of mine with their
bradmin(?) utility ... but ultimately it was just easier disabling
cups-browsed since I have other printers that you couldn't do that with.
--
|_|O|_|
philo
2024-05-13 22:36:08 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by philo
I now realize there is a non-working auto-detect that returns as soon as I delete it.
Network printer? Brother's Zeroconf (mdns/bonjour) thing tends to not
be configured properly. I fixed it once on one of mine with their
bradmin(?) utility ... but ultimately it was just easier disabling
cups-browsed since I have other printers that you couldn't do that with.
The configuration that Brother uses is wrong.
I was able to configure it manually using a Generic driver>

As mentioned before, I'm glad I wrote down the settings. Right now I
have no idea how I figured it out.
Jonathan N. Little
2024-05-10 14:27:24 UTC
Post by philo
Post by azigni
Post by philo
I'm convinced that both Brother and the service center deliberately make
things tough to deal with so that most people just give up.
I'm inclined to agree with you. That is the most profitable business model
for them to take. I hope your new printer arrives and all is well with it.
It's easy to make Brother look bad, but I wonder if any of the other
companies are any better? Let us know if your printer arrives.
If the new printer arrives, my attitude towards Brother probably will be
quite a bit better.
If the new one works ;-)
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
philo
2024-05-06 21:23:50 UTC
Post by philo
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with
Ubuntu 22.04
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in the
queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Now,even that no longer works.
It's set up as a network printer but same problem if I use USB,
Printer works fine from Windows.
Any idea how to fix this once and for all?
Thanks
I went to the Brother website and they said I could either contact them
or bring the printer right to the service center.

Before I took the drive, I called the service center first and they said
I MUST contact the factory first for authorization.
Did that and am waiting for a reply.

Just for the heck of I I figured no harm in trying to repair my old Samsung.
Sheesh, just needed a couple drops of oil>

Now working fine.
azigni
2024-05-07 01:45:15 UTC
Good for you!
philo
2024-05-08 22:18:26 UTC
Post by azigni
Good for you!
I still want to get my Brother printer repaired under warranty.
I am getting the run around.

Will persist
philo
2024-05-15 00:58:43 UTC
Post by philo
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with
Ubuntu 22.04
I installed the .deb driver I got directly from Brother's website.
Printer install without a glitch but any job set to it just sits in the
queue.
Solved the problem last year by simply using the generic PCL-5 driver.
Now,even that no longer works.
It's set up as a network printer but same problem if I use USB,
Printer works fine from Windows.
Any idea how to fix this once and for all?
Thanks
New printer arrived today.

Works fine with Windows.

Does not work with Linux or with wireless printing from phone.

Printing from phone is not really needed but I do need printing from
both Windows and Linux so I am just going back to using my Samsung

May just save the Brother for a friend who may need a Windows printer

Any suggestions of a printer that is easy to setup from Linux ?
philo
2024-05-15 01:37:09 UTC
Post by philo
Post by philo
[...]
OK actually have it working from Linux using the actual Brother driver>

Though I don't have wireless set up, I'm going to just leave it alone now.
azigni
2024-05-15 02:59:45 UTC
I got the intranet information for mine in Windoze when I set it up there.
The 168.... Worked well, when I used that for the Linux setup.
philo
2024-05-15 11:51:13 UTC
Post by azigni
I got the intranet information for mine in Windoze when I set it up there.
The 168.... Worked well, when I used that for the Linux setup.
My win machines had a completely different way of installing the network
printer, I had to get the setting from my previous printer...the Samsung
Paul
2024-05-15 08:58:55 UTC
Post by philo
[...]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On USENET, this is what we call a "strong endorsement" :-) "A definite buy"

Paul
philo
2024-05-15 11:38:58 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by philo
[...]
Everyone reading this thread knew darn well I was not going to leave it
alone. My mistake was the install Brother's printing software.
One I uninstalled it all, wireless printing actually worked.

Even though the printer works fine...so I am leaving myself notes>

One of the big problems is accessing the correct settings scrolling with
the , up, down and OK buttons>

If one approaches the network setup wrong, it will go into "searching
for LAN" the not finding it and the printer locks up and NOTHING works
even after killing the power.

Even though the printer stops working, after the "searching for LAN"
eventually times out...one can at least have access to the button's
scroll function.

The really bad thing is that there is a "reset" option which puts custom
setting back to factory default but does not fix the lockup problem.

After a lot of trial and error, I found a "network reset" option which
finally clears the fault and allows the printer to work again.

The instructions that come with the machine simply say to restart the
printer if there are any problems. That does NOT work.

Tech support, when I emailed them offered zero help.

At least when years ago I reported a non-working router to AT&T they
spent 90 minutes talking me through every possible setting before they
agreed to replace the device.
Dan Purgert
2024-05-15 11:01:27 UTC
Post by philo
Post by philo
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with
Ubuntu 22.04
[...]
Any suggestions of a printer that is easy to setup from Linux ?
Brother. Do make sure you've followed their instructions to the letter
(especially with regards to the print queue you need to use -- IIRC,
mine all want "BINARY_P1"); and also look out for "Special
Instructions" for that model -- 2 of the 3 Brother printers I've had
over the last 20-odd years have needed i386 / multiarch enabled.

DO NOT try using the mDNS / Zeroconf one that CUPS may auto-detect /
auto-add. In all three printers I've had, the zeroconf print queue is
wrong -- IIRC, it defines "DEFAULT" or something to that effect, which
seems to not play nice with the data format linux is sending out)
philo
2024-05-15 11:49:46 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by philo
Post by philo
I posted last years about trying to get my Brother HL-L2370 working with
Ubuntu 22.04
[...]
Any suggestions of a printer that is easy to setup from Linux ?
Brother. Do make sure you've followed their instructions to the letter
(especially with regards to the print queue you need to use -- IIRC,
mine all want "BINARY_P1"); and also look out for "Special
Instructions" for that model -- 2 of the 3 Brother printers I've had
over the last 20-odd years have needed i386 / multiarch enabled.
DO NOT try using the mDNS / Zeroconf one that CUPS may auto-detect /
auto-add. In all three printers I've had, the zeroconf print queue is
wrong -- IIRC, it defines "DEFAULT" or something to that effect, which
seems to not play nice with the data format linux is sending out)
Finally got everything working.
I feel sorry for a non-tech trying to go through this.

Here is how I got the printer to work in Linux using the actual Brother
driver.

When I initialed "add printer" here is how I entered the URI :

socket://192.168.2.103:9100

I would not have been able to have figured that out except I used the
setting that my old Samsung printer software detected automatically.

Then I was able to select the printer from the dialog.

Even though my printer is an HL-L2370...the recommended printer to
install was the HL-L2360...but it worked fine.

I of course went back trying the HL-L2370 but ...no surprise...that did
not work.

For an old man, I've learned a lot this week.

My other challenge was setting up an XP machine for someone who was
running some manufacturing equipment that they claimed only works with XP>

This is the first time I've ever said: Wow, this machine is a bit too
new for what I'm trying to do.

The XP installed crashed until I took the BIOS setting of AHCI and
changed it to compatibility mode
Dan Purgert
2024-05-15 13:26:12 UTC
Post by philo
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by philo
Post by philo
[...]
I looked up brother's instructions, for your model, which suggested
"lpd://ip-of-printer/binary_p1"

Granted, I'm sure other options would also work (like your jet-direct
port, or even ipp).
philo
2024-05-15 14:59:53 UTC
IPP installed automatically but it does NOT work.
Print job stays in queue
Dan Purgert
2024-05-16 11:42:23 UTC
Post by philo
IPP installed automatically but it does NOT work.
Print job stays in queue
And for what feels like the 50th time now -- the "autodetected" entry
from Brother is quite likely wrong (e.g. "ipp://printer/default" instead
of "ipp://printer/binary_p1").

But that's just a guess based on my own experiences with their zeroconf
stuff.
philo
2024-05-16 13:49:00 UTC
Correct.
Brother auto-detect for Linux was easy to set up but it did not work.
They had two separate configurations and I tried both.
No error messages were issued but print jobs sit in the queue .
To get it to work, all I had to do is copy the configuration from my old Samsung printer which auto-detected ok.

I was going to email Brother but changed my mind. Linux support is not a priority for them.

Btw: My wife's Win11 machine was simple to set up. She just booted up and the printer was already on-line and functional.
Paul
2024-05-16 14:12:07 UTC
Correct. Brother auto-detect for Linux was easy to set up but it did not work.
They had two separate configurations and I tried both.
No error messages were issued but print jobs sit in the queue .
To get it to work, all I had to do is copy the configuration from my old Samsung printer which auto-detected ok.
I was going to email Brother but changed my mind. Linux support is not a priority for them.
Btw: My wife's Win11 machine was simple to set up. She just booted up and the printer was already on-line and functional.
But emailing Brother, is how you get things done.

Think of it as an investment in the future.

Paul
Mike Easter
2024-05-16 17:52:39 UTC
Post by Paul
But emailing Brother, is how you get things done.
Think of it as an investment in the future.
Emailing or postal mailing or even fax (?!) seems like a good idea to
communicate; the problem is getting your missive in front of the
eyeballs of someone who actually 'cares' or is competent to care. Big
co/s live behind a wall of little people w/ little in the way of
language or tech competence.

I had a good friend who was a maestro at somehow getting his US postal
mail in front of the eyes of 'higher-ups' who did something; must've
been due to his years of experience in a military career and being able
to get 'gummit' snafus fixed for decades.

My little experiments in that regard were rarely as successful as his
were consistently; it is hard to keep that up when the reaction is
incompetent, like they can't even read what the info said correctly.
Mike Easter
philo
2024-05-16 22:33:41 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Paul
But emailing Brother, is how you get things done.
Think of it as an investment in the future.
Emailing or postal mailing or even fax (?!) seems like a good idea to
communicate; the problem is getting your missive in front of the
eyeballs of someone who actually 'cares' or is competent to care.  Big
co/s live behind a wall of little people w/ little in the way of
language or tech competence.
I had a good friend who was a maestro at somehow getting his US postal
mail in front of the eyes of 'higher-ups' who did something; must've
been due to his years of experience in a military career and being able
to get 'gummit' snafus fixed for decades.
My little experiments in that regard were rarely as successful as his
were consistently; it is hard to keep that up when the reaction is
incompetent, like they can't even read what the info said correctly.
For now, I'm again giving up contacting Brother.

New printer is working on both Windows and Linux

Wireless printing is very low priority.

I gave my now working old printer to a friend who does not have a
computer and it seems to be working with their phone...
So maybe that's not all too bad
Mike Easter
2024-05-17 00:26:24 UTC
Post by philo
I gave my now working old printer to a friend who does not have a
computer and it seems to be working with their phone...
So maybe that's not all too bad
Yeah (not too bad); it is hard for me to imagine their using a phone, no
computer AND a printer.

My world is virtually the 'opposite'; desktop computers almost all the
time (rarely laptop), (almost) no cell phone, 99.9% of the time, very
very little printer (2 half-pages of puzzle/d).
Mike Easter
philo
2024-05-17 02:14:22 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by philo
I gave my now working old printer to a friend who does not have a
computer and it seems to be working with their phone...
So maybe that's not all too bad
Yeah (not too bad); it is hard for me to imagine their using a phone, no
computer AND a printer.
My world is virtually the 'opposite'; desktop computers almost all the
time (rarely laptop), (almost) no cell phone, 99.9% of the time, very
very little printer (2 half-pages of puzzle/d).
She has a laptop but it's put away in a drawer.

I set it up mostly for my grandson though
philo
2024-05-16 22:05:30 UTC
Post by Paul
Correct. Brother auto-detect for Linux was easy to set up but it did not work.
They had two separate configurations and I tried both.
No error messages were issued but print jobs sit in the queue .
To get it to work, all I had to do is copy the configuration from my old Samsung printer which auto-detected ok.
I was going to email Brother but changed my mind. Linux support is not a priority for them.
Btw: My wife's Win11 machine was simple to set up. She just booted up and the printer was already on-line and functional.
But emailing Brother, is how you get things done.
Think of it as an investment in the future.
Paul
New printer is already acting up.
Had to do a network reset.

This is nuts
Paul
2024-05-16 22:40:58 UTC
Post by philo
Post by Paul
Correct. Brother auto-detect for Linux was easy to set up but it did not work.
They had two separate configurations and I tried both.
No error messages were issued but print jobs sit in the queue .
To get it to work, all I had to do is copy the configuration from my old Samsung printer which auto-detected ok.
I was going to email Brother but changed my mind. Linux support is not a priority for them.
Btw: My wife's Win11 machine was simple to set up. She just booted up and the printer was already on-line and functional.
But emailing Brother, is how you get things done.
Think of it as an investment in the future.
    Paul
New printer is already acting up.
Had to do a network reset.
This is nuts
Do you know whether the printer has firmware ?
Would there be an update available ?
Or is the launch date long enough in
the past, they stopped updating it at some point ?
Perhaps the Test Page prints out revision ?

Paul
philo
2024-05-16 23:21:17 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by philo
Post by Paul
[...]
I guess I can check but,,,the older printer is working.

It needed a network reboot to solve the problem,
The machine had a separate "reset" function that I tried first and when
it failed to correct the problem, I assumed the machine had failed.

It was only after scrolling through everything I could think of that I
found "network reboot" option.

Tech support from Brother made no mention of it.

Some day when I have nothing better to do, I will look at it again

Thanks Paul
Dan Purgert
2024-05-17 09:19:50 UTC
Post by philo
Correct.
Brother auto-detect for Linux was easy to set up but it did not work.
They had two separate configurations and I tried both.
No error messages were issued but print jobs sit in the queue .
To get it to work, all I had to do is copy the configuration from my
old Samsung printer which auto-detected ok.
Why didn't you just follow Brother's instructions?
philo
2024-05-17 12:38:15 UTC
For the 2nd time now, I followed the instructions exactly.
There were two separate options.

Both detected and installed the printer just fine.

Only problem was and job sent would remain in the queue.
Another person on this thread experienced the same.

As mentioned, I figured it out by myself.

Contacting Brother's tech support was a sick joke.

The ONLY advice they gave me was to bring it in to the local service center.

I called the service center and they said I had to contact Brother for an RMA, which they refused to issue ..

After I lodged a complaint...all they did was send a new printer

It was nice that they did not charge me and that I did not have to return the old one.

I look at this as a learning experience.
Dan Purgert
2024-05-17 13:14:01 UTC
Post by philo
For the 2nd time now, I followed the instructions exactly.
There were two separate options.
Wait, are you using the CUPSWrapper tool/script, or *just* the driver?

Because it's pretty easy to mess up the CUPSWrapper script ... IIRC, it
shows all *potential* queues that the printer "should(tm)" support, but
it's just a generic list and doesn't correspond to what that printer has
been configured to support from within the printer's own control
panel / web-interface.
philo
2024-05-17 13:16:57 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by philo
For the 2nd time now, I followed the instructions exactly.
There were two separate options.
Wait, are you using the CUPSWrapper tool/script, or *just* the driver?
Because it's pretty easy to mess up the CUPSWrapper script ... IIRC, it
shows all *potential* queues that the printer "should(tm)" support, but
it's just a generic list and doesn't correspond to what that printer has
been configured to support from within the printer's own control
panel / web-interface.
Here is all that I can tell you

Configurations provided by Brother that did NOT work.

Four possibilities
The first one was automatically installed and if I delete it, simply
re-appears

implicitclass://Brother_HL_L2370DW_series%40BRNB42200DDC4F8.local/

dnssd://Brother%20HL-L2370DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-b4220

ipp://Brother%20HL-L2370DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/

lpd://BRNB42200DDC4F8/BINARY_P1

(Brother HL-L2370DW series, driverless, cups-filters 1.28.15)

What worked:

the socket configuration I simply copied from the working Samsung
auto-detect

socket://192.168.2.103:9100

(Brother HL-L2360D series, using brlaser v6)
Dan Purgert
2024-05-17 14:54:42 UTC
Post by philo
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by philo
For the 2nd time now, I followed the instructions exactly.
There were two separate options.
Wait, are you using the CUPSWrapper tool/script, or *just* the driver?
Because it's pretty easy to mess up the CUPSWrapper script ... IIRC, it
shows all *potential* queues that the printer "should(tm)" support, but
it's just a generic list and doesn't correspond to what that printer has
been configured to support from within the printer's own control
panel / web-interface.
Here is all that I can tell you
Configurations provided by Brother that did NOT work.
Four possibilities
The first one was automatically installed and if I delete it, simply
re-appears
implicitclass://[...].local/
dnssd://[...]._ipp._tcp.local/
ipp://[...]._ipp._tcp.local/
lpd://BRNB42200DDC4F8/BINARY_P1
(Brother HL-L2370DW series, driverless, cups-filters 1.28.15)
ALL of these are mDNS / autodetect / zeroconf printers, and won't have a
driver set ("driverless" is kind of key there). The only one that
actually defines a print queue is the last one (lpd://), though the
device name might not resolve properly if you tried using it. The other
three are just "kick it to the printer and pray"; which, let's face it,
won't actually work.

In short, the mDNS / DNS-SD information being presented by the printer
is incomplete or otherwise wrong. The only thing that'd correct this
would be either:

(A) Updated firmware from Brother OR
(B) You correct it via the printer's webUI

Alternatively, stop / remove cups-browsed so that your PC stops picking
up these bad entries from the printer in the first place.
Post by philo
the socket configuration I simply copied from the working Samsung
auto-detect
socket://192.168.2.103:9100
Yes, because you're not using mDNS AND have a driver defined. Likewise,
using ipp or lpd with this IP address (and the proper print queue -->
"Binary_P1") would likely also work.
philo
2024-05-17 15:00:38 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by philo
Post by philo
the socket configuration I simply copied from the working Samsung
auto-detect
socket://192.168.2.103:9100
Yes, because you're not using mDNS AND have a driver defined. Likewise,
using ipp or lpd with this IP address (and the proper print queue -->
"Binary_P1") would likely also work.
I do have it working just fine with my configuration so I intend to go
no further. If I was able to figure out where Brother made their
mistake, I doubt they'd have any interest in knowing about it.

Oh, I did finally manage to delete the non-working configuration that
kept re-appearing . That was another nice convoluted mess.
Mike Easter
2024-05-17 15:51:26 UTC
Post by philo
I look at this as a learning experience.
Well...

... in the field of science and science experiments, w/ any 'result' we
have to consider what we learned and what we did NOT learn :-/

Or even what we might have disproved (or brought into question).
Mike Easter
philo
2024-05-17 18:37:42 UTC
For my job, I repaired industrial equipment and I had to get my customers up and running ASAP.

Early on in my career I was told the magic words "It does not have to resemble the original design."

I never worried about why one thing that should have worked . did not.

I tended to over-design and make things better than original.

As to my printer..
Just that I did get it working with Linux was fine.

I have it working on both Ubuntu and Mint.

Prior to this problem, I only had it working on Ubuntu...so I guess I could say.. it's better than it was.