where can buy music online besides amazon?
bilsch01
2024-02-22 21:34:37 UTC
Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
Thanks for your help.

Bill S.
Bobbie Sellers
2024-02-22 22:39:44 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
Thanks for your help.
Bill S.
Do you have an internet browser? I use Firefox myself.
I use DuckDuckGo for a search engine and I suggest you search on
"Music for sale" Barnes and Noble comes up as well as a number
of other sources outside apparently of Amazon. I think that
Apple might have a service as well.

bliss- Dell Precision 7730- PCLOS 2024.02- Linux 6.6.17-Plasma 5.27.10
Gordon
If you desire some less commerical tracks/CDs http://bandcamp.com
Fokke Nauta
2024-02-23 10:21:56 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
Thanks for your help.
Bill S.
I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.

Fokke
Mark Bourne
2024-02-25 13:37:41 UTC
Post by Fokke Nauta
Post by bilsch01
Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
Thanks for your help.
Bill S.
I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.
Fokke
Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is
only available for Windows and Mac. I couldn't find any other way to
buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website. It's been several
years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the
situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or
Mac?
Mark.
John Williamson
2024-02-25 14:10:13 UTC
Post by Mark Bourne
Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is
only available for Windows and Mac. I couldn't find any other way to
buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website. It's been several
years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the
situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or
Mac?
iTunes will run under WINE.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Paul
2024-02-25 14:16:14 UTC
Post by Fokke Nauta
Post by bilsch01
Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
Thanks for your help.
Bill S.
I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.
Fokke
Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is only available for Windows and Mac.  I couldn't find any other way to buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website.  It's been several years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or Mac?
They're never going to stop doing that, at Apple.

NEVER mix paying for something, with "bronze in WINE".
Not worth it. Like say you bought a bunch of music, and
the wheels fell off this and it stopped working. You'd be PISSED.

"iTunes 12.x"

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31322

The whole purpose of having things like that, is to suck you
into their ecosystem. Then what... Even inside their ecosystem,
they will be "updating stuff", your OS will be "too old", your
hardware will be "too old" and so on.

*******

You can burn discs with your purchased music.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/itunes/itns2987/windows

So export is possible.

iTunes used to include something like Primoburner with it,
so it could burn a disc. There are a few embedded windows applications
like that, which are bundled with larger packages so you can burn discs.
Windows itself has imapi2 for this, but it occasionally has issues
with RW media (doesn't erase it).

I would prefer an application just makes an ISO, and then you can
use any working burner for the job of making media (K3B burner).

But really, the idea of having an "intermediary that always gets
in the way", that would be a "NO SALE" in my book. You just know
some day, something is going to happen, and your little collection
will be gone. It's hard enough to protect assets on computers, without
the interference of others.

Paul
bilsch01
2024-03-04 17:10:18 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Fokke Nauta
Post by bilsch01
[...]
I dual boot Win and Ubuntu. I have about 12 GBytes of mp3 tracks - all
my music is mp3. If I can't put the music into mp3 format then I don't
have it in my collection. I do conversion from non-mp3 format using an
ubuntu program.

My music came from many sources. Much is tracks I ripped from my CDs. In
the past I have bought a few mp3 tracks from Amazon. Amazon Music has a
huge selection of music. But I have had a bad experience with Amazon and
want to go somewhere else. There seems to be no one with a big music
collection like Amazon.

People in this thread mentioned iTunes as a source for music. What
format does iTunes use. Is it a simple matter to buy it and convert it
to mp3? I want to do everything using a PC.
Thanks Again. Bill S.
John Williamson
2024-03-04 17:36:18 UTC
Post by bilsch01
People in this thread mentioned iTunes as a source for music. What
format does iTunes use. Is it a simple matter to buy it and convert it
to mp3? I want to do everything using a PC.
Thanks Again. Bill S.
From Apple's website. How to convert their formats. There may also be a
way to do it using one of the many converter programs available for
Linux. :-

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/108961
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Mark Bourne
2024-03-04 20:36:56 UTC
bilsch01 wrote:
Post by bilsch01
People in this thread mentioned iTunes as a source for music. What
format does iTunes use. Is it a simple matter to buy it and convert it
to mp3? I want to do everything using a PC.
All the tracks I've downloaded from iTunes are .m4a files, which I
believe is an MP4 container, with AAC or ALAC codec. I haven't
purchased any tracks from them for about 5 years, so that might have
changed in the meantime. If no-one else can confirm otherwise, you
could buy one and try it with your setup, before committing to more.

I can play the files I have in Rhythmbox, Celluloid and VLC without any
conversion, although I think I had to install the
`gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad` package to enable that. That name might
sound bad, but I think `gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly` is needed for MP3 files.
Post by bilsch01
GStreamer Bad Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared
to the rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're missing
something - be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a
real live maintainer, or some actual wide use.
This package contains plugins from the "ugly" set, a set of
good-quality plug-ins that might pose distribution problems.
I think "distribution problems" means the licenses might not be open
source, or there might be patent/trademark issues preventing the plugins
from being freely distributed in some countries.
Mark.
bilsch01
2024-03-05 19:09:57 UTC
Post by bilsch01
 GStreamer Bad Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par
compared
 to the rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're
missing
 something - be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of
tests, a
 real live maintainer, or some actual wide use.
 This package contains plugins from the "ugly" set, a set of
 good-quality plug-ins that might pose distribution problems.
I think "distribution problems" means the licenses might not be open
source, or there might be patent/trademark issues preventing the plugins
from being freely distributed in some countries.
Hello Mark,
I googled about how to buy iTunes song using Win 11 on a PC.
It is straight forward except for the last step, which is:
Sign in with your Apple ID and password to complete purchase.

I've never had an Apple device. Do you suppose
it is possible for me to get Apple ID and password.
I thought I'd ask and avoid a hassle and distasteful experience.
Thanks for your post.
John Williamson
2024-03-05 19:27:15 UTC
Post by bilsch01
I've never had an Apple device. Do you suppose
it is possible for me to get Apple ID and password.
I thought I'd ask and avoid a hassle and distasteful experience.
Thanks for your post.
You need a phone number for their 2FA thingy and a web browser.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/108647
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
rbowman
2024-03-06 01:13:12 UTC
I googled about how to buy iTunes song using Win 11 on a PC. It is
straight forward except for the last step, which is: Sign in with your
Apple ID and password to complete purchase.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/108647

Years ago I had to put iTunes on a Windows PC to load a iShuffle I'd been
gifted. I hope the experience has improved. iirc I didn't have to create
an Apple ID since I was loading existing mp3s and not buying them, but it
was a hassle getting them transferred to the iTunes directory structure.
Mark Bourne
2024-03-04 20:21:44 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Fokke Nauta
I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.
Fokke
Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is only available for Windows and Mac.  I couldn't find any other way to buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website.  It's been several years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or Mac?
They're never going to stop doing that, at Apple.
Yeah, I wasn't aware of any change - just hopeful when someone on a
Linux group mentioned using iTunes without mentioning Windows or Mac ;)
Post by Paul
NEVER mix paying for something, with "bronze in WINE".
Not worth it. Like say you bought a bunch of music, and
the wheels fell off this and it stopped working. You'd be PISSED.
Yeah, I wouldn't like to rely on that. On the rare occasions I do use
iTunes, I dual boot into Windows. A Windows VM would probably also be fine.
Post by Paul
"iTunes 12.x"
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31322
The whole purpose of having things like that, is to suck you
into their ecosystem. Then what... Even inside their ecosystem,
they will be "updating stuff", your OS will be "too old", your
hardware will be "too old" and so on.
*******
You can burn discs with your purchased music.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/itunes/itns2987/windows
So export is possible.
Or just copy the file to Linux. None of the ones I've purchased have
ever been subject to DRM, and Rhythmbox, Celluloid and VLC all play them
without any problem. I might have had to install one of the extra
GStreamer plugin packages to support them.
Post by Paul
iTunes used to include something like Primoburner with it,
so it could burn a disc. There are a few embedded windows applications
like that, which are bundled with larger packages so you can burn discs.
Windows itself has imapi2 for this, but it occasionally has issues
with RW media (doesn't erase it).
I would prefer an application just makes an ISO, and then you can
use any working burner for the job of making media (K3B burner).
But really, the idea of having an "intermediary that always gets
in the way", that would be a "NO SALE" in my book. You just know
some day, something is going to happen, and your little collection
will be gone. It's hard enough to protect assets on computers, without
the interference of others.
In my experience (unless something has changed in the last 5 years,
since I last purchased any tracks from iTunes), there's no problem once
you've got the file. You need to use their Windows or Mac software to
download it, but once you've got the file just put it where you want it
and back it up like any other data of value.
Mark.
Joerg Walther
2024-02-23 12:53:18 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I would NEVER use any streaming service to "buy" music from because you
will not *own* it and when contracts run out you may lose it although
you paid for it.
Remember the story with Amazon and - of all sorts - Orwell's 1984?
People bought it and downloaded it to their Kindle and then something
happened (can't remember what) and it was deleted from their device.

-jw-
Mark Lloyd
2024-02-23 21:08:46 UTC
Post by Joerg Walther
Post by bilsch01
Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I would NEVER use any streaming service to "buy" music from because you
will not *own* it and when contracts run out you may lose it although
you paid for it.
Remember the story with Amazon and - of all sorts - Orwell's 1984?
People bought it and downloaded it to their Kindle and then something
happened (can't remember what) and it was deleted from their device.
-jw-
I wouldn't either.

I have bought music from Amazon, and still have the .mp3 files I downloaded.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Of course, we cannot guarantee our Bibles against normal wear or
abuse." [Oxford University Press]
John Williamson
2024-02-23 21:54:06 UTC
Post by Mark Lloyd
I have bought music from Amazon, and still have the .mp3 files I downloaded.
I used to buy music from Tesco, and the files are still fine, playable
and in my backup system. Unfortunately,they withdrew the service many
years ago. Luckily, I had all my library stored locally to me.

I refused to buy from Apple as initially they only allowed you a certain
number of copies on your systems, and if a playing device crashed, you
irretrievably lost access all those copies. Under their rules, a crashed
hard drive in my music player could have cost me five grand or more.
(The player in my pocket had about five thousand tracks on it at the
time, costing a dollar or so per track. It now has over thirty thousand,
all paid for.) I never saw the benefit to users in their copy control
system.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Eric
2024-04-23 19:10:18 UTC
Post by bilsch01
Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
Thanks for your help.
Bill S.
I have had good luck with the following.

https://www.eruce.com/
Post by bilsch01
We are an independent inc, combining a love of album music with a compassion for audio quality. We cover everything, from award-winning classical and jazz music, to the latest rock/pop and electric from various of genres, themes and moods. We capture the best performances in the industry and let you buy them to play in your sweet home.
You can purchase whole albums. Then download them immediately from Eruce.com. Or choose between different format: CD quality or MP3 which you can buy from online retailer or your local retailer.
In 2007, we were so proud to be awarded ‘Label of the Year’ by Grendia Magazine. We’ve been making music for nearly twenty years, so it has been a long journey for us to bring music to your ears.