Still no progress bar when copying files to flash drive
Juarez
2007-09-15 01:03:45 UTC
Very rarely I see a progress bar when copying files to a flash drive from
the HDD in Ubuntu. Most of the time I see nothing at all and have to watch
the flash drive itself to see when the light stops flashing to make sure
all files have finished copying. And when it has shown a progress bar it
isn't accurate anyway. Progress bar will show all files copied but looking
at the flash drive the light is still flashing so it hasn't actually
finished the copy operation yet. Once I thought it had finished the
process and Ubuntu allowed me to unmount the flash drive while and I
ended up with a bunch of zero byte files on the flash drive. It
allowed me to unmount the drive while the copy process was still
happening. This on Ubuntu 7.04 with all updates.
Joe
2007-09-15 01:15:14 UTC
Post by Juarez
Very rarely I see a progress bar when copying files to a flash drive
from the HDD in Ubuntu. Most of the time I see nothing at all and have
to watch the flash drive itself to see when the light stops flashing to
make sure all files have finished copying. And when it has shown a
progress bar it isn't accurate anyway. Progress bar will show all files
copied but looking at the flash drive the light is still flashing so it
hasn't actually finished the copy operation yet. Once I thought it had
finished the process and Ubuntu allowed me to unmount the flash drive
while and I ended up with a bunch of zero byte files on the flash drive.
It allowed me to unmount the drive while the copy process was still
happening. This on Ubuntu 7.04 with all updates.
That's because the process is done in a cache. The copy process is done,
but the write happens behind the scenes.

Just make sure you never pull the drive from the USB slot without first
ejecting it in the OS. The eject process will tell you to wait while it
finishes flushing the cache, then it will tell you it is safe to remove
the drive.
/home/joe/.signature
Gordon
2007-09-15 04:44:52 UTC
Post by Joe
Post by Juarez
[...]
Good explanation. Let us remember that a flash drive is nothing more than a
mass storage device, as is your HD. Things are written to it long after one
thinks thats its happened. As Ms Penguin says, she wants to go fishing now,
not wait until the cache is no more.
Juarez
2007-09-15 18:08:21 UTC
Post by Gordon
Good explanation. Let us remember that a flash drive is nothing more than a
mass storage device, as is your HD. Things are written to it long after one
thinks thats its happened. As Ms Penguin says, she wants to go fishing now,
not wait until the cache is no more.
Well, I hate to bring this up in here but there is no such issue on XP and
Vista. When the progress bar stops in those OS's then all files are
written. In Ubuntu most of the time there isn't even a progress bar at all.
Joe
2007-09-15 21:34:25 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Gordon
Good explanation. Let us remember that a flash drive is nothing more
than a mass storage device, as is your HD. Things are written to it
long after one thinks thats its happened. As Ms Penguin says, she wants
to go fishing now, not wait until the cache is no more.
Well, I hate to bring this up in here but there is no such issue on XP
and Vista. When the progress bar stops in those OS's then all files are
written. In Ubuntu most of the time there isn't even a progress bar at all.
It was an issue up until w2k. Microsoft found that it's mass user base
was too stupid to eject a drive before removing it, so they turned off
the cache for removable drives. Slows the performance drastically, but
does help in this respect. I'd rather have the cache, since most of my
removable drives are always connected...
--
Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
time..." - Danny, American History X
Juarez
2007-09-16 18:56:11 UTC
Post by Joe
It was an issue up until w2k. Microsoft found that it's mass user base
was too stupid to eject a drive before removing it, so they turned off
the cache for removable drives. Slows the performance drastically, but
does help in this respect. I'd rather have the cache, since most of my
removable drives are always connected...
And you can turn write caching on for removable drives in device manager,
as I always do.
Joe
2007-09-16 20:42:57 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
It was an issue up until w2k. Microsoft found that it's mass user base
was too stupid to eject a drive before removing it, so they turned off
the cache for removable drives. Slows the performance drastically, but
does help in this respect. I'd rather have the cache, since most of my
removable drives are always connected...
And you can turn write caching on for removable drives in device
manager, as I always do.
And if you have write caching on in Windows, and you just pull the drive
without first disconnecting it through the removable devices manager, you
risk the same thing you are complaining about here.

The status bar does not show you when the cache has flushed. The whole
point of the cache is to allow you to go on working while the data is not
yet physically written...
Hadron
2007-09-16 20:57:41 UTC
Post by Joe
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
It was an issue up until w2k. Microsoft found that it's mass user base
was too stupid to eject a drive before removing it, so they turned off
the cache for removable drives. Slows the performance drastically, but
does help in this respect. I'd rather have the cache, since most of my
removable drives are always connected...
And you can turn write caching on for removable drives in device
manager, as I always do.
And if you have write caching on in Windows, and you just pull the drive
without first disconnecting it through the removable devices manager, you
risk the same thing you are complaining about here.
The status bar does not show you when the cache has flushed. The whole
point of the cache is to allow you to go on working while the data is not
yet physically written...
In 99.8888% of cases it is written damn soon. It is rare a desktop is
doing that much compared to it's hidden potential. But the person you
were replying to knew this - he opted to turn it back on since he didn't
regularly remove his external drives.

But you pays your money and you makes your choice. If you turn off
caching then be prepared to lose data IF you pull the connector out
before it has cleared the cache.
Bridge ahead. Pay troll.
Joe
2007-09-16 22:34:47 UTC
Post by Hadron
Post by Joe
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
[...]
Have you read any of the thread?

It is exactly that behavior that he is complaining about under Linux,
which is why I made the statement. The guy regularly writes to his
removable drive in Linux, then rips out the drive with unwritten data in
the cache, without properly ejecting it first.
Juarez
2007-09-17 17:05:06 UTC
Post by Joe
It is exactly that behavior that he is complaining about under Linux,
which is why I made the statement. The guy regularly writes to his
removable drive in Linux, then rips out the drive with unwritten data in
the cache, without properly ejecting it first.
Not quite, I did it once because the drive had stoped flashing so thought
it was finished but it actually wasn't. I've been using unmount and never
noticed the eject button. Thing is, I still have to look at the drive
itself and wait for it to stop flashing before ejecting instead of a nice
progress bar telling me when the operation is finished. I will just chalk
it up to a glitch in Ubuntu and work around it. I only posted because I
had posted about it before and people told me you do get a progress bar.
Well, the fact is that sometimes you do but most of the time you don't. It
needs fixing.
Moog
2007-09-17 18:36:19 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
[...]
I get a progress bar all of the time. I write files to SD card, Phone
and USB hard Drive frequently and have never had an issue such as
yours in 6.06, 6.10, 7.04 and now 7.10.

It all points to some sort of configuration issue your side. I'm
buggered as to what it could be though?

I seem to recall the gconf editor (you are running Gnome aren't you?)
allowing you to supress all tooltip and OS notifications. Could it
possibly be that?
--
Moog

leather straps."
Juarez
2007-09-18 15:11:51 UTC
Yes, Gnome, and I never changed anything in Gconf.
Moog
2007-09-18 15:37:32 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Moog
I seem to recall the gconf editor (you are running Gnome aren't you?)
allowing you to supress all tooltip and OS notifications. Could it
possibly be that?
Yes, Gnome, and I never changed anything in Gconf.
Maybe another piece of software has without your knowledge.

I have found this, does it sound similar? But it's from March 2006.
and is fixed for me.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/35222

It's a bit like shooting in the dark though without being in front of
the machine.
--
Moog

leather straps."
Juarez
2007-09-20 21:48:46 UTC
Post by Moog
Post by Juarez
Post by Moog
I seem to recall the gconf editor (you are running Gnome aren't you?)
allowing you to supress all tooltip and OS notifications. Could it
possibly be that?
Yes, Gnome, and I never changed anything in Gconf.
Maybe another piece of software has without your knowledge.
I have found this, does it sound similar? But it's from March 2006.
and is fixed for me.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/35222
It's a bit like shooting in the dark though without being in front of
the machine.
Yes! That's exactly the issue I am getting. Thanks, will do some
researching on the issue at that site. And that Joe twat claims I am the
only one with the issue. What a crock.
Moog

leather straps."
Joe
2007-09-17 18:43:47 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
It is exactly that behavior that he is complaining about under Linux,
which is why I made the statement. The guy regularly writes to his
removable drive in Linux, then rips out the drive with unwritten data
in the cache, without properly ejecting it first.
Not quite, I did it once because the drive had stoped flashing so
thought it was finished but it actually wasn't. I've been using unmount
and never noticed the eject button. Thing is, I still have to look at
the drive itself and wait for it to stop flashing before ejecting
instead of a nice progress bar telling me when the operation is
finished. I will just chalk it up to a glitch in Ubuntu and work around
it. I only posted because I had posted about it before and people told
me you do get a progress bar. Well, the fact is that sometimes you do
but most of the time you don't. It needs fixing.
No, it doesn't. There is no such glitch in Ubuntu. As has been stated
to you, there is clearly something wrong at your end. For everyone else,
when you eject or unmount, a balloon pops up in the bottom right telling
you that the OS is still writing data to the drive. When the balloon
disappears, so does the drive icon, and you are safe to remove it.

You have stated that you changed your task bar, which may have had an
effect. I am not sure what you changed, or what effect it could cause,
but you might want to start by looking there.

I use 2 USB Hard drives, and a variety of USB Flash sticks, and have
never encountered the problem you are describing. Others here have all
reported the same. Yet you want to attribute it to the OS, rather than
troubleshooting your system to determine what you may have changed to
disrupt the standard behavior.
Juarez
2007-09-18 15:13:55 UTC
Post by Joe
No, it doesn't. There is no such glitch in Ubuntu. As has been stated
to you, there is clearly something wrong at your end.
Yea, sure, I really believe you. Why would the progress bar sometimes show
but not most of the time if I had done something to mess it up?
Moog
2007-09-18 15:27:10 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
No, it doesn't. There is no such glitch in Ubuntu. As has been stated
to you, there is clearly something wrong at your end.
Yea, sure, I really believe you. Why would the progress bar sometimes show
but not most of the time if I had done something to mess it up?
I think the clue is in the fact that no-one else here is suffering from the
same issue.

It may be worth checking out the ubuntu forums and launchpad though.

My best guess is that there's a configuration issue or some other
software is stopping it from displaying correctly.
--
Moog

leather straps."
Joe
2007-09-18 18:44:25 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
No, it doesn't. There is no such glitch in Ubuntu. As has been stated
to you, there is clearly something wrong at your end.
Yea, sure, I really believe you. Why would the progress bar sometimes
show but not most of the time if I had done something to mess it up?
Because you're a fucking idiot...
Juarez
2007-09-20 21:35:23 UTC
OK, Skippy. Time to return to your room and take your meds.
Juarez
2007-09-17 17:00:55 UTC
Post by Joe
And if you have write caching on in Windows, and you just pull the drive
without first disconnecting it through the removable devices manager, you
risk the same thing you are complaining about here.
The status bar does not show you when the cache has flushed.
Yes it does. When the progress bar has stopped then all files are written
and the cache is flushed. Not once has it ever failed.
Joe
2007-09-17 18:44:49 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
And if you have write caching on in Windows, and you just pull the
drive without first disconnecting it through the removable devices
manager, you risk the same thing you are complaining about here.
The status bar does not show you when the cache has flushed.
Yes it does. When the progress bar has stopped then all files are
written and the cache is flushed. Not once has it ever failed.
No, it doesn't. You may have gotten lucky, but the you are missing the
point of a cache if you think that is how it works. What do you think is
going on when you turn on a cache?
Juarez
2007-09-18 15:30:42 UTC
Post by Joe
No, it doesn't. You may have gotten lucky, but the you are missing the
point of a cache if you think that is how it works. What do you think is
going on when you turn on a cache?
I changed the default menu to the one called main menu in the top task
bar in Gnome. Why every time I first boot up do I have to click it three
times before it actually opens? After that first time three clicks it
opens with one click. I suppose you think that is user mis-configuration
too and not a glitch? God forbid there could be a glitch or two in your
beloved Ubuntu. Face the facts, Windows just does some things better. When
I click the Start menu button in XP or Vista it opens the first time and
every time. And when the progress bar stops in Windows the cache is
cleared! Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to eject the device each and every
time as soon as the progress bar has gone. There would be no point to
having a progress bar if data is still in the cache. When it says it is
done the operation in Windows it is done. Not so apparently in Ubuntu.
That's if I actually get a progress bar. 90% of the time I don't. And
that's not a glitch? BS.
SINNER
2007-09-18 15:57:08 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
No, it doesn't. You may have gotten lucky, but the you are missing
the point of a cache if you think that is how it works. What do you
think is going on when you turn on a cache?
I changed the default menu to the one called main menu in the top task
bar in Gnome. Why every time I first boot up do I have to click it
three times before it actually opens?
I dont have that issue but the first click does cause some HD churning
and there is a slight delay before the menu is displayed the first time.
After that a single click and the menu is instanly displayed.

This is what we in tech land call confirmation of at least a similar
issue.
Post by Juarez
After that first time three
clicks it opens with one click. I suppose you think that is user
mis-configuration too and not a glitch?
Considering that I have just confirmed a similar issue, not likely, BTW,
I run Dapper.
Post by Juarez
God forbid there could be a
glitch or two in your beloved Ubuntu.
If ANYONE here confirmed the same issue you might have a point, but it
seems it works fine for everyone else making an attempt at producing the
error which does indeed point to PEBKAC.
Post by Juarez
Face the facts, Windows just
does some things better.
So? Can you produce another user that is having your issue?
Post by Juarez
When I click the Start menu button in XP or
Vista it opens the first time and every time.
I occasionaly have a delay, depends on what the box is doing. if you are
suggesting that Windows does not have issues your a troll.
Post by Juarez
And when the progress
bar stops in Windows the cache is cleared! Otherwise, I wouldn't be
able to eject the device each and every time as soon as the progress
bar has gone. There would be no point to having a progress bar if data
is still in the cache. When it says it is done the operation in
Windows it is done. Not so apparently in Ubuntu.
For YOU.
Post by Juarez
That's if I actually
get a progress bar. 90% of the time I don't. And that's not a glitch?
BS.
Your posts are getting to sound more and more like trolls instead of a
plea for help. If all you want to do is bitch, get married, they are
better listeners.
David
John F. Morse
2007-09-18 16:06:25 UTC
Post by SINNER
Your posts are getting to sound more and more like trolls instead of a
plea for help. If all you want to do is bitch, get married, they are
better listeners.
David, David, David.

You are suggesting the poor man take a wife?!

I have found something better:

Fifteen reasons why men have 2 dogs and not 2 wives:

1. The later you are, the more excited your dogs are to see you.

2. Dogs don't notice if you call them by another dog's name.

3. Dogs like it if you leave a lot of things on the floor.

4. A dog's parents never visit.

5. Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across.

6. Dogs like to do their snooping outside rather than in your wallet or
desk.

7. You never have to wait for a dog; they're ready to go 24 hours a day.

8. Dogs find you amusing when you're drunk.

9. Dogs like to go hunting and fishing.

10. A dog will not wake you up at night to ask, 'If I died, would you
get another dog?'

11. If a dog has babies, you can put an ad in the paper and give them away.

12. A dog will let you put a studded collar on it without calling you a
pervert.

13. If a dog smells another dog on you, they don't get mad. They just
think it's interesting.

14. Dogs like to ride in the back of a pickup truck.

And last, but not least:

15. If a dog leaves, it won't take half of your stuff.
--
John

No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

SINNER
2007-09-18 16:29:17 UTC
Post by John F. Morse
Post by SINNER
Your posts are getting to sound more and more like trolls instead of
a plea for help. If all you want to do is bitch, get married, they
are better listeners.
David, David, David.
You are suggesting the poor man take a wife?!
Hey, it works for some ;)
I have 2 dogs and 1 wife...
Post by John F. Morse
[...]
LOL, nice :)
David
MCR
2007-09-18 17:05:24 UTC
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:29:17 +0000, SINNER wrote:

Snipped
Post by SINNER
Post by John F. Morse
15. If a dog leaves, it won't take half of your stuff.
LOL, nice :)
I can't make a sarcastic comment over this thread as the misses is
periodically reading what I have written ;-)
--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making
Got Linux? Get SDLMAME
SINNER
2007-09-18 17:09:22 UTC
Post by MCR
Snipped
Post by SINNER
Post by John F. Morse
15. If a dog leaves, it won't take half of your stuff.
LOL, nice :)
I can't make a sarcastic comment over this thread as the misses is
periodically reading what I have written ;-)
switch to slrn and interpret identies.sl

;)
David
Juarez
2007-09-20 21:31:51 UTC
How's your dog in bed?
John F. Morse

Juarez
2007-09-20 21:30:27 UTC
Post by SINNER
Your posts are getting to sound more and more like trolls instead of a
plea for help. If all you want to do is bitch, get married, they are
better listeners.
Nah, if I got married I would get nagged all day and every day. At least
here I can turn it off if I don't want to read it.

OK, did a bit more testing and if I copy large amounts of data I always
see a progress bar but not on smaller amounts of data. Thing is that the
progress bar in Ubuntu is useless because five minutes after the progress
bar has disappeared the cache is still not cleared and the flash drive
light is still flashing away. It takes about ten times longer to copy
files to a flash drive on Ubuntu than it does in XP. Yes, I have confirmed
this. And I never said Windows has no glitches. I'm not looking for
help either. Just pointing out a glitch in Ubuntu that needs fixing. But
it seems some of you fanbois don't take to constructive criticism very
well.
NoStop
2007-09-21 02:23:43 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by SINNER
Your posts are getting to sound more and more like trolls instead of a
plea for help. If all you want to do is bitch, get married, they are
better listeners.
Nah, if I got married I would get nagged all day and every day. At least
here I can turn it off if I don't want to read it.
OK, did a bit more testing and if I copy large amounts of data I always
see a progress bar but not on smaller amounts of data. Thing is that the
progress bar in Ubuntu is useless because five minutes after the progress
bar has disappeared the cache is still not cleared and the flash drive
light is still flashing away. It takes about ten times longer to copy
files to a flash drive on Ubuntu than it does in XP.
I haven't experienced this at all.
Post by Juarez
Yes, I have confirmed
this. And I never said Windows has no glitches.
Of course not, since it's not uncommon for Windoze to not even be able to
see attached USB2 drives after some use.

Cheers.
--
Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz
Juarez
2007-09-22 22:13:46 UTC
Post by NoStop
Of course not, since it's not uncommon for Windoze to not even be able to
see attached USB2 drives after some use.
Cheers.
??? Never had that happen and I have 3 USB flash drives and 3 external USB
2.0 HDD's. The fact you spelt Windows as "Windoze" means you are not a
reliable source and are biased. If you had spelt it correctly I would have
taken you more seriously. Would you take me seriously if I spelt Linux as
Linsux?
John F. Morse
2007-09-22 23:00:21 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by NoStop
Of course not, since it's not uncommon for Windoze to not even be able to
see attached USB2 drives after some use.
Cheers.
??? Never had that happen and I have 3 USB flash drives and 3 external USB
2.0 HDD's. The fact you spelt Windows as "Windoze" means you are not a
reliable source and are biased. If you had spelt it correctly I would have
taken you more seriously. Would you take me seriously if I spelt Linux as
Linsux?
How someone spells something is not an indication on reliability or
seriousness. If you "spelt" GNU/Linux as "Linsux," I'd simply take it as
your not having a spell checker.

I've "spelt" Windows as Windoze and Winhozed for years. I'm very
reliable, and I'm dead serious.

Furthermore, I'm very biased against Microsoft (Micro$lut, Micro$haft,
etc.), their attitude and their products.

So what?

I also didn't like Juarez when I crossed over from El Paso. I walked one
block through the raw sewage in the street to the next bridge, then
crossed back into Texas.

Does that mean I don't like you or your name? Nope.

Trevor Best
2007-09-23 10:58:43 UTC
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:13:46 GMT
Post by Juarez
Post by NoStop
Of course not, since it's not uncommon for Windoze to not even be able to
see attached USB2 drives after some use.
Cheers.
??? Never had that happen and I have 3 USB flash drives and 3 external USB
2.0 HDD's. The fact you spelt Windows as "Windoze" means you are not a
reliable source and are biased. If you had spelt it correctly I would have
taken you more seriously. Would you take me seriously if I spelt Linux as
Linsux?
I've had the experience (as have others here) that a USB Flash drive
takes on a network drive letter that is already in use, i.e. it doesn't
check if the drive letter is in use by a network device, only local
devices. In this instance it cannot be seen in "My computer" you would
need to go to Disk Management to manually assign it a drive letter.
This is out of a normal user's territory.

Also USB network adaptors can be flaky, sometimes get recognised,
sometimes not you have to unplug and replug or plug them into a
different USB port (then drivers need reinstalling). I have a laptop at
work running XP, designed for XP (and so called Vista capable but I
wouldn't try it) and the built in wireless LAN just doesn't work, it
gives out all the right signals (no pun intended) so looks like it
should work but cannot find anything to connect to even when placed
about 2 feet away from the WAP.
To err is human, to moo bovine.
NoStop
2007-09-23 15:16:58 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by NoStop
Of course not, since it's not uncommon for Windoze to not even be able to
see attached USB2 drives after some use.
Cheers.
??? Never had that happen and I have 3 USB flash drives and 3 external USB
2.0 HDD's. The fact you spelt Windows as "Windoze" means you are not a
reliable source and are biased. If you had spelt it correctly I would have
taken you more seriously. Would you take me seriously if I spelt Linux as
Linsux?
I already know you're a troll, so I couldn't care less how you spell
anything.

Cheers.
--
Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
-- My Wife
SINNER
2007-09-21 20:40:03 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by SINNER
[...]
Seems the only fanboi in this thread is you. Not only that but you seem
to be blind to the fact that NO ONE else is confirming your issue which
points to only one thing, YOUR config.

Since you arent looking for help, and no one else is having your issue,
your continued posting on the topic boils down to one thing, you are
trolling, if you really want it fixed, place a bug report, otherwise get
a new distro, simple fix.
--
David
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

When does summertime come to Minnesota, you ask? Well, last year, I
think it was a Tuesday.
Juarez
2007-09-22 22:16:55 UTC
Post by SINNER
Seems the only fanboi in this thread is you.
Fuck off. I use Ubuntu most of the time and every day of the week.
Post by SINNER
Since you arent looking for help, and no one else is having your issue,
Someone did confirm this issue down below in this thread so screw off with
your BS. Some shitware I installed is probably causing it as this issue was
supposed to be fixed on the version of Ubuntu I am using.
SINNER
2007-09-23 00:30:08 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by SINNER
Seems the only fanboi in this thread is you.
Fuck off.
See?
Post by Juarez
I use Ubuntu most of the time and every day of the week.
Whoopie.
Post by Juarez
Post by SINNER
Since you arent looking for help, and no one else is having your issue,
Someone did confirm this issue down below in this thread so screw off with
your BS. Some shitware I installed is probably causing it as this issue was
supposed to be fixed on the version of Ubuntu I am using.
Probably....supposed to... Yeah, your looking for a solution.
--
David
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

Ditat Deus.
[God enriches]
Anonymous
It's spelled ***YOU'RE*** you illiterate fuck.
Moog
2007-09-26 11:59:05 UTC
<....>
It's spelled ***YOU'RE*** you illiterate fuck.
Woohoo. A grammar flame from Mister "18 blank lines at the end of my
post" Anonymous.

Well done sir. You've just redifined the word irony.
--
Moog

leather straps."
CBFalconer
2007-09-26 14:13:41 UTC
Anonymous wrote:
... snip ...
Post by Anonymous
It's spelled ***YOU'RE*** you illiterate fuck.
You win a PLONK.
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
SINNER
2007-09-26 23:30:03 UTC
ooooh, look a dizum troll. Never seen one of those before *eye roll*

Anonymous pussyfart.

Monotheism is a gift from the gods.
Non scrivetemi
2007-09-29 03:00:17 UTC
Post by SINNER
Anonymous pussyfart.
It's spelled **PUSSY FART* you cum guzzling gutterslut.
Mark South
2007-09-29 09:14:15 UTC
Post by Non scrivetemi
Post by SINNER
Anonymous pussyfart.
It's spelled **PUSSY FART* you cum guzzling gutterslut.
Abuse report sent. The place to hit these creatures is in their access to
anonymising services. You might want to call Marco Calamari.

Info:

$ whois dizum.com
getaddrinfo(whois.crsnic.net): Name or service not known

Hmm, spoofing a TLD. I wonder what ICANN would say?

$ nslookup dizum.com
Server: xx.xx.xx.xx
Address: xx.xx.xx.xx#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: dizum.com
Address: 194.109.206.210

Useful info about winstonsmith.info:

$ whois winstonsmith.info
Domain ID:D2471355-LRMS
Domain Name:WINSTONSMITH.INFO
Created On:06-Nov-2002 15:54:00 UTC
Last Updated On:07-Sep-2007 05:52:40 UTC
Expiration Date:06-Nov-2010 15:54:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Network Solutions (R122-LRMS)
Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Registrant ID:20781326-NSI
Registrant Name:Marco Calamari
Registrant Organization:Marco Calamari
Registrant Street1:via Landi 8/A
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Pisa
Registrant State/Province:PI
Registrant Postal Code:56123
Registrant Country:IT
Registrant Phone:+39.34785302
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:+39.55295239
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:***@DADA.IT
Admin ID:20781324-NSI
Admin Name:Marco Calamari
Admin Organization:Progetto Winston Smith
Admin Street1:via delle Belle Donne, 11
Admin Street2:Firenze
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Firenze
Admin State/Province:FI
Admin Postal Code:50100
Admin Country:IT
Admin Phone:+39.34785302
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:+39.55295239
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:***@marcoc.it
Billing ID:20781326-NSI
Billing Name:Marco Calamari
Billing Organization:Marco Calamari
Billing Street1:via Landi 8/A
Billing Street2:
Billing Street3:
Billing City:Pisa
Billing State/Province:PI
Billing Postal Code:56123
Billing Country:IT
Billing Phone:+39.34785302
Billing Phone Ext.:
Billing FAX:+39.55295239
Billing FAX Ext.:
Billing Email:***@DADA.IT
Tech ID:20781326-NSI
Tech Name:Marco Calamari
Tech Organization:Marco Calamari
Tech Street1:via Landi 8/A
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Pisa
Tech State/Province:PI
Tech Postal Code:56123
Tech Country:IT
Tech Phone:+39.34785302
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:+39.55295239
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:***@DADA.IT
Name Server:NS1.MYDYNDNS.ORG
Name Server:NS3.MYDYNDNS.ORG
Name Server:NS2.MYDYNDNS.ORG
Name Server:NS4.MYDYNDNS.ORG
SINNER
2007-09-29 13:40:06 UTC
Post by Mark South
Post by Non scrivetemi
Post by SINNER
Anonymous pussyfart.
It's spelled **PUSSY FART* you cum guzzling gutterslut.
Abuse report sent. The place to hit these creatures is in their access to
anonymising services. You might want to call Marco Calamari.
$ whois dizum.com
getaddrinfo(whois.crsnic.net): Name or service not known
Dizum is a troll haven, your reprot will go unread.
--
David
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

I'm sure a mathematician would claim that 0 and 1 are both very
interesting numbers. :-)
-- Larry Wall in <***@wall.org>
Mark South
2007-09-29 16:56:28 UTC
Post by SINNER
Post by Mark South
Abuse report sent. The place to hit these creatures is in their access to
anonymising services. You might want to call Marco Calamari.
$ whois dizum.com
getaddrinfo(whois.crsnic.net): Name or service not known
Dizum is a troll haven, your reprot will go unread.
I wouldn't bother talking to them, but Signore Calamari can block them
from using johnwinston.info's anonymiser.
Anonymous
2007-09-30 22:18:30 UTC
Post by Mark South
Post by SINNER
Post by Mark South
Abuse report sent. The place to hit these creatures is in their
access to anonymising services. You might want to call Marco
Calamari.
$ whois dizum.com
getaddrinfo(whois.crsnic.net): Name or service not known
Dizum is a troll haven, your reprot will go unread.
I wouldn't bother talking to them, but Signore Calamari can block them
from using johnwinston.info's anonymiser.
Block who dumb fuck?

What a clueless cunt.
Anonymous Remailer (austria)
2007-09-30 22:03:25 UTC
Post by Mark South
Post by Non scrivetemi
Post by SINNER
Anonymous pussyfart.
It's spelled **PUSSY FART* you cum guzzling gutterslut.
Abuse report sent. The place to hit these creatures is in their
access to anonymising services. You might want to call Marco
Calamari.
$ whois dizum.com
ROTFLMAO!

What a scrotum sniffing man-twat you are.

Think you'll do anything but make a fucking fool of yourself bitch?

And piss me off even more?

LOL!!!!
SINNER
2007-09-29 13:40:08 UTC
Post by Non scrivetemi
Post by SINNER
Anonymous pussyfart.
It's spelled **PUSSY FART* you cum guzzling gutterslut.
ooooh, a spelling troll, genius! You missed a * luser. Come out from
behind your rock and troll like a real man. Sorry, I guess you'd need to
BE a man to fight like one. What happened, I got your panties all twisted
because you didnt like an answer, ahhh, go suckle mommies teat she'll make
it all better.

Beam me up, Scotty!
Non scrivetemi
2007-09-30 21:50:57 UTC
Post by SINNER
Post by Non scrivetemi
Post by SINNER
Anonymous pussyfart.
It's spelled **PUSSY FART* you cum guzzling gutterslut.
ooooh, a spelling troll, genius! You missed a * luser. Come out from
behind your rock and troll like a real man. Sorry, I guess you'd need
Suck my dick like the bitch you want to be and I might little boy.

Whatever you do, don't stop barking when I jerk your leash. You're a
lot of fun to listen to.

ROTFLMAO!!!
SINNER
2007-09-30 22:40:15 UTC
* Non scrivetemi wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

See you bitch, off to the KF, You wont be able to climb out since
your hands are too busy jerking yourself off while you look at pictures
of luke wilson. BuhBye bitch boi.

You'll need to leave the world of anonymizers to even attempt it, lets
see how brave you are.
--
David
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife in the shoulder blades will seriously
cramp his style.
Juarez
2007-09-22 22:20:46 UTC
SINNER
2007-09-23 00:30:10 UTC
Post by Moog
Post by SINNER
Not only that but you seem
to be blind to the fact that NO ONE else is confirming your issue
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/35222
Good for you, so *now* you see its been reported (with no thanks or
confirmation from you)

So since you presumably already knew the bug existed, why are you in
here bitching about it again?

Should we now expect you to go and find a few more to bitch about?

Nah, you're not trolling.

Evil isn't all bad.
Joe
2007-09-18 18:42:24 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
[...]
Sorry. You're too stupid to use Linux. Please return your copy and go
back to Windows...
Juarez
2007-09-20 21:34:17 UTC
Post by Joe
Sorry. You're too stupid to use Linux. Please return your copy and go
back to Windows...
Take the fucking blinders off and face the facts, Skippy. And I've already
been using Linux for five years and am not about to stop because of what
some moron on a Usenet group says.
Al
2007-09-16 17:04:00 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Gordon
Good explanation. Let us remember that a flash drive is nothing more than a
mass storage device, as is your HD. Things are written to it long after one
thinks thats its happened. As Ms Penguin says, she wants to go fishing now,
not wait until the cache is no more.
Well, I hate to bring this up in here but there is no such issue on XP and
Vista. When the progress bar stops in those OS's then all files are
written. In Ubuntu most of the time there isn't even a progress bar at all.
In my verion of Ubuntu, when you hit the eject function, you get a pop
up telling you to wait. Otherwise the icon disappears. Easy enough?

Al
Juarez
2007-09-16 18:58:36 UTC
Post by Al
Easy enough?
Al
Condescending prick. Where's the progress bar when writing files to the
flash drive?
Al
2007-09-17 12:53:08 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Al
Easy enough?
Al
Condescending prick. Where's the progress bar when writing files to the
flash drive?
I've never seen one in Ubuntu. I suppose it would be nice to have, but
after all, this is free software. There are lots of idiosynchrocies in
the OS and the applications. I've learned to live with them.

The worst one, for example, is that many times you have to have both
applications open in order to be able to copy and paste from one to
another. Why can't the source be open, you copy something, you open your
target, and paste it in. Works with other OSs. Why would I do that? I
may find something in my browser that I want to copy. I don't have
OpenOffice open. I then open it and try to paste. NoGo! Once it is open,
I can now copy and paste. I've learned to live with it.

Did you ever try to import a formatted text file into the OpenOffice
spreadsheet and have the columns fill properly? I've tried it and
haven't been able to do it. It's easy to do with Word and Excel.

Al
Travis Crow
2007-09-17 19:20:06 UTC
Post by Al
The worst one, for example, is that many times you have to have both
applications open in order to be able to copy and paste from one to
another. Why can't the source be open, you copy something, you open your
target, and paste it in. Works with other OSs. Why would I do that? I
may find something in my browser that I want to copy. I don't have
OpenOffice open. I then open it and try to paste. NoGo! Once it is open,
I can now copy and paste. I've learned to live with it.
I just read this in Claws Mail, copied the above paragraph then opened
Thunderbird, let's see what Paste does...

oh my :-o
D. Kollaric
2007-09-19 19:52:00 UTC
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:53:08 +0000 hit the keyboard Al to produce the
following:

<snip>
I don't have OpenOffice open. I then open it and try to paste. NoGo!
Once it is open , I can now copy and paste. I've learned to live with it.
The one version I have here allows me to paste "after" I started Openoffice
So maybe in the meantime this has been fixed. Just to let you know that
maybe you can/may/need to upgrade it... :-) "Studio Ubuntu
Did you ever try to import a formatted text file into the OpenOffice
spreadsheet and have the columns fill properly? I've tried it and
haven't been able to do it. It's easy to do with Word and Excel.
Who knows maybe this has been fixed too?
Al
Chris Game
2007-09-20 09:32:13 UTC
Post by Al
Did you ever try to import a formatted text file into the OpenOffice
spreadsheet and have the columns fill properly? I've tried it and
haven't been able to do it. It's easy to do with Word and Excel.
I think Office97 runs ok under Wine. OpenOffice is a bit of a toy.
--
Chris Game

Justify my text? I'm sorry but it has no excuse.
John F. Morse
2007-09-15 14:03:28 UTC
Post by Joe
Post by Juarez
[...]
I didn't read the whole man eject, but I did notice this part:

"NOTES: Eject only works with devices that support one or more of the
four methods of ejecting. This includes most CD-ROM drives (IDE, SCSI,
and proprietary), some SCSI tape drives, JAZ drives, ZIP drives
(parallel port, SCSI, and IDE versions), and LS120 removable floppies.
Users have also reported success with floppy drives on Sun SPARC and
Apple Macintosh systems. If eject does not work, it is most likely a
limitation of the kernel driver for the device and not the eject program
itself."

No mention of USB, and I presently don't have a USB thumb drive that I
can use for testing on this Ubuntu 6.06 machine.

With that in mind, shouldn't sync work with USB flash drives for a
forced write?

See man sync for details.

Joe
2007-09-15 15:03:12 UTC
Post by John F. Morse
Post by Joe
Post by Juarez
[...]
Sorry. Right click on the drive's icon, and select unmount, then wait...
Juarez
2007-09-15 18:11:00 UTC
Post by Joe
Sorry. Right click on the drive's icon, and select unmount, then wait...
That is what I do now. Thing is it let me unmount while files where still
being written. And the reason I did that is because there was no progress
bar showing me when the process was finished. I can work around it by
waiting until the light stops flashing on the flash drive but this is not
how it's meant to be.
Joe
2007-09-15 21:35:27 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by Joe
Sorry. Right click on the drive's icon, and select unmount, then wait...
That is what I do now. Thing is it let me unmount while files where
still being written. And the reason I did that is because there was no
progress bar showing me when the process was finished. I can work around
it by waiting until the light stops flashing on the flash drive but this
is not how it's meant to be.
Then you have another problem. When I click on unmount, a balloon pops
up in the bottom task bar telling me to wait until the balloon disappears
before removing the drive...
Juarez
2007-09-16 19:07:21 UTC
I customized the bottom task bar so that is probably why.
DaveT
2007-09-15 15:31:35 UTC
Post by John F. Morse
Post by Joe
Post by Juarez
[...]
[Eject] works with all the different USB devices I own, flash drives, card
readers, mp3 players and mobile phones = all are seen as Drives. If I click
the [Eject] and the device is still being written to or from a label pops
up to warn that the operation is still in progress and then it is replaced
by another pop up to say it is safe to remove.
Dave
Juarez
2007-09-15 18:13:12 UTC
Post by DaveT
[Eject] works with all the different USB devices I own, flash drives, card
readers, mp3 players and mobile phones = all are seen as Drives. If I click
the [Eject] and the device is still being written to or from a label pops
up to warn that the operation is still in progress and then it is replaced
by another pop up to say it is safe to remove.
I've never noticed an eject command but will look for it. Do you always
get a progress bar when writing files to a flash drive? That is my main
complaint. I've only seen that bar once or twice. Most of the time it just
doesn't show progress of write operation at all.
Joe
2007-09-15 21:36:44 UTC
Post by Juarez
Post by DaveT
[Eject] works with all the different USB devices I own, flash drives,
card readers, mp3 players and mobile phones = all are seen as Drives.
If I click the [Eject] and the device is still being written to or from
a label pops up to warn that the operation is still in progress and
then it is replaced by another pop up to say it is safe to remove.
I've never noticed an eject command but will look for it. Do you always
get a progress bar when writing files to a flash drive? That is my main
complaint. I've only seen that bar once or twice. Most of the time it
just doesn't show progress of write operation at all.
I get a progress bar for large files. Files that are bigger than the
cache are written partly in real-time. If it is a small file, then there
is no progress. It goes right in the cache, and you move on...
Juarez
2007-09-16 19:00:25 UTC
Post by Joe
I get a progress bar for large files. Files that are bigger than the
cache are written partly in real-time. If it is a small file, then there
is no progress. It goes right in the cache, and you move on...
I've written large files to the storage device and still have seen no
progress bar. I'll double check that though.
John F. Morse
2007-09-15 19:05:38 UTC
Post by DaveT
Post by John F. Morse
Post by Joe
Post by Juarez
[...]
Without being able to test this, tell me what exactly do you mean by
"click the [Eject]"?

Is this a button somewhere labeled "Eject" or is it possibly a
right-click selection on the USB devices icon on the desktop?

Since you specifically said "click," I presume you are not using the
eject command in a terminal.

I wish I could experiment with this, but my 1GB thumb drive doesn't
appear when inserted into the USB port. Nor does anything appear when
tailing the messages and syslog logs. Probably because the motherboard
is too stupid on this PC.

However, it does recognize and mount three different camera brands
(Intel, Nikon and HP).

I'll plug it into one of the other PCs and see if any of the other
GNU/Linux distros will see it.

The wife's XP Home is handy, so I tried it. A red LED started blinking
on the thumb drive. XP displayed a dialog saying a high-speed USB device
was plugged into a non-nigh-speed USB port.

I looked in Windows Explorer and found the "removable device." Opening
it shows a Knoppix install (I wondered what it was I put on that thing
about a year ago!).

Funny, Ubuntu 6.06 (2.6.15-29-386) doesn't see it. I suspect this is a
motherboard issue.

I wanted to test further, but I cannot easily access the (rear) USB
ports on the P3/600 box which has Ubuntu 7.04, but I will try it on
another AMD Duron box (1.4 GHz) behind me. It has a different
motherboard, so results may be different.

Well, that GRUB first choice (Debian 4.0) wants to install 99 software
updates, so I'll let it do so, plus run all of the cron jobs it has
held, and go ahead and pull out the P3/600 box and try the thumb drive
on Ubuntu 7.04....

The thumb drive does appear on the desktop on this PC. As mentioned,
this is supposed to be a Knoppix bootable USB "drive," provided the
motherboard will boot from USB of course. It contains 13 items totaling
55.9 MB. There is a "go_folder" I created that can hold the remaining
911.1 or so MB.

Right-clicking the disk icon on the desktop does have an "Eject" option,
so that answers my question. It's nice to be able to locally reproduce
things to obtain answers. ;-)

One software update for Feisty, and then I'll reboot into the BIOS and
see if the PC has a boot into USB option, and try it if so.... No BIOS
setting available, and rebooting does not automatically mount the thumb
drive. Pulling it out and reinserting it does mount it though, and a
Nautilus window opens automatically. The df shows it as /dev/sda1
mounted at /media/disk (I'll remember this when I try to use it on the
Ubuntu 6.06 box). Furthermore, the Properties show it as a vfat (FAT16)
file system. Maybe Ubuntu 6.06 has an age problem with that?

Back to the 1.4 GHz Duron box, and 99 updates, including Debian
4.0.1etch2 (2.6.18-5-486 (2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch2). Plugging in the thumb
drive is recognized, and it does mount on the desktop. Here df shows it
as /dev/sda1 mounted at /media/usbdisk, and the right-click menu has
Unmount Volume instead of Eject.

Dropping back to Debian 3.1r2 (2.4.27-2-386) on this same computer, the
thumb drive does not mount automatically. I didn't try to use the mount
command and manually see if I could get Debian Sarge to mount a USB drive.

Fedora Core 5 (2.6.20-1.2320.fc5.i686) mounted the thumb drive on the
desktop, and called the right-click menu item Unmount Volume instead of
Eject.

Since I have Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (2.6.15-27-386) on the 1.4 GHz computer, I
tried it again there. It did mount, and the right-click menu choice was
Eject. Looks like Ubuntu (Canonical) prefers "Eject" over Debian's
"Unmount" word choice, and I think Debian is more correct. This is also
a difference in the GNOME desktop environment.

This bit of knowledge also tells me Ubuntu 6.06 is capable of handling
(mounting automatically) a USB "drive" and my problem therefore is the
motherboard in the 1.8 MHz Ubuntu 6.06 LTS computer. But it does see and
talk to the three cameras. Hmmmm....

It is a cheap PC that cost only $170 total from Tiger Direct back in
early 2004. It is one of two I bought with Lindows preloaded. One was
without a HDD, and I figured it would be perfect for my mother-in-law.
Nothing for the brother-in-law to "modify" like he does immediately with
Windows, and no problem with viruses, etc. I didn't want to provide her
with something that would require me to drive 175 miles one way every
weekend to fix. As it turned out, she died from cancer before I managed
to get the computer set up and down to her.

The other one had a 40 GB HDD in it and cost about $50 more (Lindows was
preloaded on it). These cheap PCs both had bad fans in the power
supplies, which I replaced, and one had the motherboard go flaky after
about a year. I installed a new and better motherboard, and find that it
is performing faster than the one with the 1.8 GHz CPU (this one that I
normally use for the Internet). I think I should flip-flop CPUs and HDDs
and use the better one. ;-)

Juarez
2007-09-16 19:06:04 UTC
Post by John F. Morse
The wife's XP Home is handy, so I tried it. A red LED started blinking
on the thumb drive. XP displayed a dialog saying a high-speed USB device
was plugged into a non-nigh-speed USB port.
You can get rid of this message by going to device manager for the USB
port and under the properties is an option to not reports errors on
this device. Changing that option for one USB port affects all ports. I
bought a KVM that came with USB 1.1 only so was getting that message all
the time too due to a USB 2.0 printer being connected to it until I
disabled the error in device manager.
Juarez
2007-09-15 18:06:26 UTC
Post by Joe
Just make sure you never pull the drive from the USB slot without first
ejecting it in the OS. The eject process will tell you to wait while it
finishes flushing the cache, then it will tell you it is safe to remove
the drive.
Whered do I see the eject command? I've been using unmount as I thought
that was the same thing as eject. Unmount didn't stop me from doing so
while it was still writing files. The fact remains there is no progress
bar most of the time. There is supposed to be a progress bar and when all
files have finished writing it should only then quit the progress bar, not
before.