New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
Add Reply
SugarBug
2024-05-19 10:13:56 UTC
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux

A single hacker has created a new Desktop environment with interesting features.

https://desktop.kerahq.com/

About two dozen super hackers might want to help get things out of alpha and into release.

"Currently, this is a product of a team of one. It’s me, Mutlu. I started working on this ten years ago. Eight years ago, I made my first appearance. Things happened, and I couldn’t find much time to work or someone to work with. I tried to create a proof-of-concept that was easy to understand and work with. Today, I believe I have finally achieved this, and I hope to extend the team and maybe have enough budget so that I can work on the project full-time. I hope Kera Desktop can go further thanks to the open-source community."
www.sybershock.com | @***@neon.nightbulb.net
The Real Bev
2024-05-19 18:44:49 UTC
Post by SugarBug
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
A single hacker has created a new Desktop environment with interesting features.
https://desktop.kerahq.com/
About two dozen super hackers might want to help get things out of alpha and into release.
"Currently, this is a product of a team of one. It’s me, Mutlu. I started working on this ten years ago. Eight years ago, I made my first appearance. Things happened, and I couldn’t find much time to work or someone to work with. I tried to create a proof-of-concept that was easy to understand and work with. Today, I believe I have finally achieved this, and I hope to extend the team and maybe have enough budget so that I can work on the project full-time. I hope Kera Desktop can go further thanks to the open-source community."
Looks nice. Downloaded, untarred, ldconfigged etc. This is just a data
point for you.

Slackware 14.2 on 13-YO GOOD hardware. Tried to start it in its own
subdirectory. Got this message:

bb:/stuff/Kera>Kera-Desktop
Kera-Desktop: symbol lookup error: /stuff/Kera/lib/libnw.so: undefined
symbol: gbm_bo_get_modifier

Flailed for a while and then deleted the whole thing.

Good luck with the project.
--
Cheers, Bev
"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would
be a sand shortage within ten years." -- M. Friedman (?)
Paul
2024-05-19 23:49:48 UTC
Post by SugarBug
[...]
The first hit in Google for that symbol is here:

puppeteer/puppeteer

https://github.com/puppeteer/puppeteer/issues/9669

"...reinstalling libgbm can solve this problem"

[generic buffer management API]

And you're on Slack, and maybe this kit wasn't aligned
with a Slack lineup.

Generally, when launching something, it helps to announce
what distro name and distro version it was tested under.
Then, if a person wants to get an initial build that
is "guaranteed to work", we know the success recipe.

Pictures of the desktop, are in-line here, once you scroll
down a bit. You don't need to build anything to look at it.

https://gitlab.com/kerahq/Kera-Desktop

"Mostly web technologies. Kera Desktop is written in
vanilla javascript and does not rely on third-party frameworks
but uses some independent libraries."

"Does Kera Desktop only support web apps? [Progressive Web Apps or PWA]
For now, yes. Support for Linux apps is perfectly possible and
on the roadmap. For other platforms, we will see what's possible."

??? Making a smartphone out of a Linux desktop ? Um...
I think that's been done already.

And Google has a package so you can install ChromeOS on your PC right now.
I guess somebody likes the ChromeOS.

Paul
Bud Frede
2024-05-25 13:14:25 UTC
Post by Paul
"Mostly web technologies. Kera Desktop is written in
vanilla javascript and does not rely on third-party frameworks
but uses some independent libraries."
"Does Kera Desktop only support web apps? [Progressive Web Apps or PWA]
For now, yes. Support for Linux apps is perfectly possible and
on the roadmap. For other platforms, we will see what's possible."
That sounds pretty gross to me. Not my cup of tea at all. :-)

I guess I'm glad that it pleases the developer and keeps them busy and
off the streets, but it's not for me. To be honest, there are already so
many desktops and window managers that, even if I were looking for a
change, I'd likely go with something else.

I think that, if I really wanted some change, I'd try one of the tiling
window managers. I have a number of friends who like those and they're
very passionate about them.

I use Linux Mint MATE currently and am not really looking for
alternatives. I used to try all kinds of new distros and window managers
30 years ago, but I got kind of tired of farting around with all of
that. Now I like to just use my computer for the things I own a computer
to get accomplished. Let me use the apps I like and don't get in my
way too much and I'm happy.
Borax Man
2024-05-26 06:32:01 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by SugarBug
[...]
A Desktop Environment based on Web Technologies? I don't like to
criticise others peoples hard work, but for me, this is a trend I
cannot support at all. The move to web based everything is a problem,
and this is a step in the wrong direction.

No, just no.
candycanearter07
2024-05-24 00:25:04 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by SugarBug
[...]
Normally, I'd love cutting edge stuff, but I recently nuked my
EndeavourOS install by accident, so I'm staying away from that stuff for
now.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-05-24 05:40:30 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
Normally, I'd love cutting edge stuff, but I recently nuked my
EndeavourOS install by accident, so I'm staying away from that stuff for
now.
Do you keep a separate OS partition? My recommendation is to have a second
one for trying alternative distros. Less chance of a) breaking your user
files, b) breaking the previous known-good OS.
Rich
2024-05-24 16:10:44 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
Normally, I'd love cutting edge stuff, but I recently nuked my
EndeavourOS install by accident, so I'm staying away from that stuff
for now.
Do you keep a separate OS partition? My recommendation is to have a
second one for trying alternative distros. Less chance of a)
breaking your user files, b) breaking the previous known-good OS.
Another way to try out alternative distros without risk of nuking your
main system is to install VirtualBox, then try out the alternative
distros by installing them into VirtualBox VM's. One can install as
many distros as one's free disk space allows, can run as many at the
same time as the available RAM allows on the host, and VB provides
snapshots and rollback capability for the VM's so one can further
experiment with a given distro knowing one can rollback to a last known
good state to try something again that broke itself this time, within a
given distro
.
candycanearter07
2024-05-24 17:40:07 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by candycanearter07
Normally, I'd love cutting edge stuff, but I recently nuked my
EndeavourOS install by accident, so I'm staying away from that stuff for
now.
Do you keep a separate OS partition? My recommendation is to have a second
one for trying alternative distros. Less chance of a) breaking your user
files, b) breaking the previous known-good OS.
Yeah, I keep a separate home partition so I didn't lose anything super
super important (plus I keep backups)..
I'm currently running Debian tho, just to be safe.
Borax Man
2024-05-20 11:06:51 UTC
Post by SugarBug
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
A single hacker has created a new Desktop environment with interesting features.
https://desktop.kerahq.com/
About two dozen super hackers might want to help get things out of alpha and into release.
"Currently, this is a product of a team of one. It’s me, Mutlu. I started working on this ten years ago. Eight years ago, I made my first appearance. Things happened, and I couldn’t find much time to work or someone to work with. I tried to create a proof-of-concept that was easy to understand and work with. Today, I believe I have finally achieved this, and I hope to extend the team and maybe have enough budget so that I can work on the project full-time. I hope Kera Desktop can go further thanks to the open-source community."
It looks interesting, I like the ideas in it. A lot of this can be
done, albeit with more difficulty, in FVWM which is what I use. I am
looking for a potential replacement when X11 is disposed of, this
might be worth close examination.
Yrrah
2024-05-20 11:36:46 UTC
Post by SugarBug
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
My goodness, just what Linux desktop distros need: yet anolther DE,
for there isn't enough choice right now. We have only:
Budgie, Cinnamon, Deepin, Enlightenment, GNOME, KDE, LXDE, LXQt, MATE,
Pantheon, Trinity, Unity. XFCE, ...?

and now Kera, to simplify matters? )-:

Yrrah
Charlie Gibbs
2024-05-20 16:08:17 UTC
https://xkcd.com/927/
--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | The Internet is like a big city:
\ / <***@kltpzyxm.invalid> | it has plenty of bright lights and
/ \ if you read it the right way. | down which the unwary get mugged.
Joerg Walther
2024-05-20 16:12:54 UTC
Post by Charlie Gibbs
https://xkcd.com/927/
Exactly. :)

-jw-
Borax Man
2024-05-21 11:49:25 UTC
Post by Yrrah
Post by SugarBug
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
My goodness, just what Linux desktop distros need: yet anolther DE,
Budgie, Cinnamon, Deepin, Enlightenment, GNOME, KDE, LXDE, LXQt, MATE,
Pantheon, Trinity, Unity. XFCE, ...?
Yrrah
There have always been lots of Window Managers for Linux. Even when I
started using Linux in the early 2000s there was

GNOME
KDE
Enlightenment
WindowMaker
FVWM
IceWM
BlackBox
FluxBox
Sawfish
AfterStep
XFCE3
AnotherLevelUp
AmiWM
TWM
MWM

just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more I'm not
remembering from the early 2000s.
Bobbie Sellers

bliss- Dell Precision 7730- PCLOS 2024.05- Linux 6.6.31- Plasma 5.27.11
Gordinator
2024-05-20 18:38:53 UTC
Post by SugarBug
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
A single hacker has created a new Desktop environment with interesting features.
https://desktop.kerahq.com/
About two dozen super hackers might want to help get things out of alpha and into release.
"Currently, this is a product of a team of one. It’s me, Mutlu. I started working on this ten years ago. Eight years ago, I made my first appearance. Things happened, and I couldn’t find much time to work or someone to work with. I tried to create a proof-of-concept that was easy to understand and work with. Today, I believe I have finally achieved this, and I hope to extend the team and maybe have enough budget so that I can work on the project full-time. I hope Kera Desktop can go further thanks to the open-source community."
Does look cool, but I use a tiling window manager, so it doesn't really
interest me.

PS: Please, please, please, wrap your text around 72 characters. It
helps people who use consoles a lot, and it's generally good netiquette.
Your newsreader should have this setting.
georgemoody
2024-05-21 16:21:09 UTC
On Sun, 19 May 2024 05:13:56 -0500
Post by SugarBug
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
A single hacker has created a new Desktop environment with
interesting features.
https://desktop.kerahq.com/
About two dozen super hackers might want to help get things out of alpha and into release.
"Currently, this is a product of a team of one. It’s me, Mutlu. I
started working on this ten years ago. Eight years ago, I made my
first appearance. Things happened, and I couldn’t find much time to
work or someone to work with. I tried to create a proof-of-concept
that was easy to understand and work with. Today, I believe I have
finally achieved this, and I hope to extend the team and maybe have
enough budget so that I can work on the project full-time. I hope
Kera Desktop can go further thanks to the open-source community."
the big buttons make it feel more like something designed for
touchscreens, which i certainly don't mind, it's about time GNOME got
some competition in that field.
--
With Regards and Passes,
GeorgeMoody
Anssi Saari
2024-05-28 11:04:14 UTC
Post by SugarBug
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
A single hacker has created a new Desktop environment with interesting features.
I gave it a quick try. I like the launcher bar on the left but these
days I only use search now to launch apps in any kind of "desktop"
environment. The search on Kera can be starts from typing, as long as
the desktop has focus. So same difference compared to button press +
type.

I'm not really a fan of embedding apps in a bar. A quick peek at a
calendar works like that but does anything else? Weather maybe.

Oh yes, very little seems to actually work in this alpha build so not
much point in running it. Seems like the videos on the site pretty much
cover all that's implemented.
root
2024-05-28 22:16:41 UTC
As I remember the OP was asking for help on the project.
Borax Man
2024-05-29 10:32:41 UTC
Post by Anssi Saari
Post by SugarBug
New : Kera Desktop Environment for Linux
A single hacker has created a new Desktop environment with interesting features.
I gave it a quick try. I like the launcher bar on the left but these
days I only use search now to launch apps in any kind of "desktop"
environment. The search on Kera can be starts from typing, as long as
the desktop has focus. So same difference compared to button press +
type.
I'm not really a fan of embedding apps in a bar. A quick peek at a
calendar works like that but does anything else? Weather maybe.
Oh yes, very little seems to actually work in this alpha build so not
much point in running it. Seems like the videos on the site pretty much
cover all that's implemented.
I quite like embedded small apps. I use FVWM, and run some AfterStep
and WindowMaker dockapps, small programs that run in a panel. They
were great, but their 64x64 size is a bit of an issue on a laptop with
a high resolution screen. FVWM can swallow X apps, which I think is a
great feature.