...printer...again
philo
2024-06-13 13:54:44 UTC
For years I've used a Samsung ...networked laser printer and with 100%
success..ALL..operating systems..Linux, Windows or Mac, detected and
installed it with zero problems.

I recently replaced it with a Brother and all operating systems detected
it and installed it...
However with Ubuntu 22.04 and 24.04 although the driver was installed,
the configuration was wrong and any job sent to it would just sit in a
queue.

I got it to work by configuring it manually.

Then last night, same problem.

I have now given up on networking the printer to my Ubuntu machine and
since the printer is right next to it...I ended up just using a USB
cable.

I guess I'm most puzzled as why a working configuration would just quit.
azigni
2024-06-14 05:35:29 UTC
Just a wag, but when it does not work does your network see the printer?
philo
2024-06-14 05:40:59 UTC
Post by azigni
Just a wag, but when it does not work does your network see the printer?
Yes.

The printer installs just fine. The problem is that when a job is sent
to it, it does not print, it just sits in the queue.

The hard part was that I took notes with the settings for my previous
printer, and when I used those settings, then the printer worked...but
after a few weeks stopped again.

Since *every* computer in the house can print to it and my main Linux
machine is the only one that can't...the usb cable was the simplest
solution.

I'm now done fooling with it.

Thank you.
azigni
2024-06-14 07:03:52 UTC
Let's try this again?...

Just a wag, but when it does not work does your network see the printer?

In my experience, when this happens, the printer has for whatever reason
moved offline. Therefore there is nowhere to send the document to.

Which Brother printer are you using, and what are your connection
settings?

I am guessing your printer goes offline, and either your router or your
printer settings are at fault.
philo
2024-06-14 14:27:11 UTC
Post by azigni
Let's try this again?...
Just a wag, but when it does not work does your network see the printer?
In my experience, when this happens, the printer has for whatever reason
moved offline. Therefore there is nowhere to send the document to.
Which Brother printer are you using, and what are your connection
settings?
I am guessing your printer goes offline, and either your router or your
printer settings are at fault.
Nope, printer has not moved off line.

Settings that were working , no longer working.

I have quite a few machines in my household, Windows, Linux and Mac and
all work with the printer fine.

Anyway, in my previous post I mentioned that i did come up with a solution