[Media] Kubuntu 20.04
Mike Easter
2020-06-29 13:16:22 UTC
posted to aol & aolu

This blogspot site has quite a lot of KDE palaver, including a recent
Kubuntu is one of the oldest official Ubuntu flavours from Canonical and should have become the default desktop offering long ago. -- When talking about consistency and predictability for business and enterprise desktops, which is what's needed there, Ubuntu does not exactly look good. What could be less consistent than moving from Gnome 2 to Unity and then again to Gnome Shell in a matter of a few years?
https://all-things-linux.blogspot.com/2020/06/kubuntu-2004-lts-bland-but-functional.html
Kubuntu 20.04 LTS - Bland but functional

Besides his Kub review, in another article the same day he briefly
describes some KDE alternatives.

https://all-things-linux.blogspot.com/2020/06/7-alternatives-to-kubuntu.html
7 Alternatives to Kubuntu

That one also has a link to his review of Kanotix, where I learned about
Similar to antiX and MX Linux this one transfers a live system to hard disk (or SSD).
https://all-things-linux.blogspot.com/2020/03/kanotix-silverfire-underappreciated-but.html
Kanotix 'Silverfire' - Underappreciated but still going strong

The alternatives article also points back to a March DW review by
Bernhard Hoffmann of the Manjaro KDE. It is my understanding that while
Manjaro's 'flagship' DE is Gnome, more of the Manjaro forum participants
prefer its KDE.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20200316#manjaro

Personally I like Neon's KDE better than Kub or Mjo KDE, but we don't
have the latest Ub underneath it yet.
Mike Easter
Yrrah
2020-06-30 12:45:02 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
https://all-things-linux.blogspot.com/2020/06/kubuntu-2004-lts-bland-but-functional.html
Kubuntu 20.04 LTS - Bland but functional
"a capable, solid distribution. I did not encounter any errors
whatsoever in my time with it"

Sounds good to me.

"On the downside, like its parent Kubuntu increasingly relies on the
snap format"

That's a dealbreaker. Fortunately, we have Linux Mint (without KDE
though).

Yrrah
Mike Easter
2020-06-30 13:05:53 UTC
Post by Yrrah
Post by Mike Easter
https://all-things-linux.blogspot.com/2020/06/kubuntu-2004-lts-bland-but-functional.html
Kubuntu 20.04 LTS - Bland but functional
"a capable, solid distribution. I did not encounter any errors
whatsoever in my time with it"
Sounds good to me.
"On the downside, like its parent Kubuntu increasingly relies on the
snap format"
That's a dealbreaker. Fortunately, we have Linux Mint (without KDE
though).
For some reason, I wasn't 'into' KDE during the Gnome2 vs KDEs 3&4 era.
Then, when Gnome3/Shell era arose that gave rise to Cinnamon and Mate
and I was using XFCE 'in between' those older and newer eras, I was
sortof ignoring KDE.

Of late, I've been more interested in 'catching up' on what different
distro/s are doing w/ their KDE, and it seems much better than Gnome to
me, which gnome is somehow the 'flagship' of so many distro/s that one
might think it is (almost) the 'face' of linux. I don't really think
that Gnome should be that 'most important' face.

And, while I am against snapd and particularly Ub 20.04's
implementation, I'm not sure it has to be a deal breaker. I would
rather it be pushed over to the side and able to be employed as a 'last
resort' as opposed to being 'sneakily' employed if I'm not paying attention.

I'm still not thru' looking at some of the KDEs that turned up in my OP
in this thread. For some reason, the Mjo KDE that I looked at before
wasn't the latest. Now I have the 20.0.3 and I've moved up its 'rating'.
Mike Easter
Dirk T. Verbeek
2020-06-30 13:59:21 UTC
Post by Yrrah
"On the downside, like its parent Kubuntu increasingly relies on the
snap format"
I am a long-time KDE user and the snap thing is worrisome, several tests
show it slows down the system for no apparent gain.
Right now it is still possible to purge all things snapd and keep a
working system.