HD audio unable to configure
Add Reply
philo
2024-05-28 07:28:45 UTC
Hopefully my last question for a while.

On boot, I get the message: HD audio unable to configure -disabling
[39.118810] C0D3

The boot process hangs there for at least a full minute...then finally
continues.

Sound is working OK.

To enable a faster boot process, how can I rectify this problem?

I did check several forums where this same question was asked but the
advice was less than useless.

Thanks
Paul
2024-05-28 13:39:57 UTC
Post by philo
Hopefully my last question for a while.
On boot, I get the message: HD audio  unable to configure  -disabling [39.118810] C0D3
The boot process hangs there for at least a full minute...then finally continues.
Sound is working OK.
To enable a faster boot process, how can I rectify this problem?
I did check several forums where this same question was asked but the advice was less than useless.
Thanks
dmesg # Check output from last boot. Use "sudo dmesg" if it complains.
# The log may be incomplete, and the text dumped during the actual
# boot may not exactly match "dmesg" circular buffer. The "journal"
# logging system may have grabbed some of it.

inxi -F # See whether your OS is using pulseaudio or pipewire. Pipewire
# can be disabled, if a not-compatible device is onboard the system.
# ALSA is always present, pulse or pipe is above that. That is why
# utilities like aplay or arecord might still exist.

pa-info # systemd/pulseaudio module info. Unlikely to help in this case,
# but a helper in a thread I found, seemed to think this was important.
# You might be interested in this, if inxi -F said pulseaudio was used.

lsmod # Shows modules loaded. Who knows, when you get that error, maybe that
# is how/why audio still works :-) Commands like "modprobe" load modules
# for hardware, if there is no automatic configuration for the hardware.
# Maybe ALSA plays some part in getting the audio hardware loaded.

This is the thread I was looking at.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=327691

Both the HDaudio bus and the AC97 bus are similar. The HDAUdio bus
runs at 2x the bus data rate of AC97. But it's the description of
"widgets" on the bus, that differs from AC97. Widgets can be
reconfigurable, so a jack can be an input or an output.

On the HDAudio (southbridge) serial interface, can be more than
one audio codec chip. It could be a RealTek Audio for example.
The PNP ID used to be limited to three digits 0x000 .. 0xFFF.
But you could also have a 56K Winmodem on the HDAudio bus as well,
like on an older laptop (laptop with RJ11 connector). This means
there is some kind of sharing, whether two audio chips are on
an AC97 bus or two audio chips are on a HDAudio bus. There might
be sufficient support, for three audio devices total, of which
sound and winmodem use two of three is the normal case.

It's possible the Winmodem, some genius switched off support
when configuring the kernel. We don't care about support. We
care about all hardware getting configured so "nothing jams up".
That's what matters. A no-jam boot.

Maybe this is a case, of the hardware being loaded twice.
Like, two subsystems doing the same work. And the second attempt
to load the hardware, leads to the kind of error you're seeing.

Paul
philo
2024-05-28 16:58:13 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by philo
[...]
Thanks Paul.

I did not see anything obviously wrong.
Considering that sound is working, I'll probably be best to leave it
alone. I'm using H/W that's 17 years old.

I did pop the drive in a newer machine and got no such errors.

One of these days I'll use my present (and newer) Win 10 machine for
Linux when I go to Win11 ore of these years.

My Win10 machine does not officially support Win11 but I know how to
hack it. OTOH: I'm sure some new H/W will come my way eventually.
philo
2024-05-29 15:07:09 UTC
I decided to just put the drive in a machine I had in my workshop not
being used.
No more message on boot.
Machine does not boot any faster but might as well make use of better
hardware

While I was at it, I upgraded the H/W in my Win10 machine too