network manager
Add Reply
philo
2024-06-16 15:40:16 UTC
First off, I cloned my Ubuntu 24.04 HD first and confirmed all was good.

Now, with my old drive, I decided to experiment and see if I could
remove packages so I'd have a minimal installation and of course,
removed the network manager and now I'm off line and cannot easily
reinstall.

Since I'm dual booting with Mint, I can easily enough download packages
I need, then boot back to Ubuntu to install them.

Problem is, I am unable to install anything due to unmet dependencies.

Is there some .deb meta package I can download to reinstall network
capabilities.

Hey, it's raining today and I needed another project.

Last night I did an SCO-Unix install on an old machine just so I could
play a certain text-based game.
philo
2024-06-16 16:16:46 UTC
Post by philo
First off, I cloned my Ubuntu 24.04 HD first and confirmed all was good.
Now, with my old drive, I decided to experiment and see if I could
remove packages so I'd have a minimal installation and of course,
removed the network manager and now I'm off line and cannot easily
reinstall.
Since I'm dual booting with Mint, I can easily enough download packages
I need, then boot back to Ubuntu to install them.
Problem is, I am unable to install anything due to unmet dependencies.
Is there some .deb meta package I can download to reinstall network
capabilities.
Hey, it's raining today and I needed another project.
Last night I did an SCO-Unix install on an old machine just so I could
play a certain text-based game.
LOL

Fool with it for hours.
Five minutes after I post this, I got it sorted out>

One one my bigger screw ups.
Paul
2024-06-16 19:13:15 UTC
Post by philo
Post by philo
[...]
They have various imaginative solutions here.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/422928/how-to-reinstall-network-manager-without-internet-access

Paul
philo
2024-06-16 20:45:57 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by philo
Post by philo
[...]
I did figure it out and I like to have two projects going at the same
time...so that's why I was also working on that SCO server.

While I'm waiting for one task to complete on one machine, I can do
something on the other.

Before it installs, SCO does a thorough track check, so I now have two
less drives in by spares box. One was a 4 gig and the other a 20. Not
much of a loss.

BTW: I had to Google for help quite a bit for that SCO installation and
found a really good conversation.

I was going to join in to at least thank the folks, then saw it was from
1999. Not likely they are monitoring it :)

Possibly for security reasons but if one makes too many errors issuing
commands, the system logs you out.

Working on a Unix machine was a real opportunity to see where Linux came
from
Jonathan N. Little
2024-06-16 20:09:16 UTC
Post by philo
Post by philo
[...]
Just remember 1) you can always statically define your connection. 2)
use a live session to download the network manager package and save it
to your "broken" system drive.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
philo
2024-06-16 20:40:25 UTC
Post by Jonathan N. Little
Post by philo
Post by philo
[...]
I was able to download packages from my other OS but it took me a few
tries to get the one I needed installed.

As long as a was fooling around, I transplanted both drives into a
better machine.

Both quad core with 16 gigs of ram but my present machine has a 3.2ghz
CPU as compared to 2.7

It made more of a difference that I thought.

I was going to clone my SATA to an SSD, but really it's not going to be
necessary.
philo
2024-06-19 18:12:52 UTC
Post by philo
First off, I cloned my Ubuntu 24.04 HD first and confirmed all was good.
Now, with my old drive, I decided to experiment and see if I could
remove packages so I'd have a minimal installation and of course,
removed the network manager and now I'm off line and cannot easily
reinstall.
Since I'm dual booting with Mint, I can easily enough download packages
I need, then boot back to Ubuntu to install them.
Problem is, I am unable to install anything due to unmet dependencies.
Is there some .deb meta package I can download to reinstall network
capabilities.
Hey, it's raining today and I needed another project.
Last night I did an SCO-Unix install on an old machine just so I could
play a certain text-based game.
I had a ton of fun the other day when I uninstalled some necessary
network functions and could not use use Synaptic to retrieve them.

Had down download from a different install and copy them to the drive
manually. A major PITA

Today, I found a drive in my workshop with Debian 7 on it.

That was what lead the way to Ubuntu for me.

Just for the heck of it, I tried to see if I could add a component using
Synaptic.

Since there were no valid on-line sources, it simply asked me to insert
the original distribution media and it was all taken care of in a matter
of seconds.
Mark Bourne
2024-06-19 19:55:53 UTC
Post by philo
I had a ton of fun the other day when I uninstalled some necessary
network functions and could not use use Synaptic to retrieve them.
Had down download from a different install and copy them to the drive
manually. A major PITA
Today, I found a drive in my workshop with Debian 7 on it.
That was what lead the way to Ubuntu for me.
Just for the heck of it, I tried to see if I could add a component using
Synaptic.
Since there were no valid on-line sources, it simply asked me to insert
the original distribution media and it was all taken care of in a matter
of seconds.
On my Linux Mint system, /etc/apt/sources.list contains:
```
#deb cdrom:[Linux Mint ...]/ focal contrib main

# This system was installed using small removable media
# (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"
# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
# For information about how to configure apt package sources,
# see the sources.list(5) manual.
```

I don't have an Ubuntu system handy right now, but as far as I recall it
does something similar. I don't know if you can just uncomment that
"deb cdrom" line to re-enable installing from the original DVD?
Mark.
philo
2024-06-19 20:44:56 UTC
Post by Mark Bourne
Post by philo
[...]
That is exactly the problem.

The distribution is too large for a cd or DVD, it has to be on a USB stick

The only option from Synaptic other than an on-line repository is a cd
or DVD. There is no USB stick option.
Mark Lloyd
2024-06-19 21:58:05 UTC
On 6/19/24 13:12, philo wrote:

[snip]
Post by philo
I had a ton of fun the other day when I uninstalled some necessary
network functions and could not use use Synaptic to retrieve them.
That happened to me once. I've since forgotten how I fixed it, but
suppose it involved downloading it using a different computer.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Hell is an outrage on humanity. When you tell me that your Deity made
you in his own image, I reply that he must have been very ugly." [Victor
Hugo]
philo
2024-06-19 22:18:43 UTC
Post by Mark Lloyd
[snip]
Post by philo
I had a ton of fun the other day when I uninstalled some necessary
network functions and could not use use Synaptic to retrieve them.
That happened to me once. I've since forgotten how I fixed it, but
suppose it involved downloading it using a different computer.
[snip]
Yes, that's why my main machines are setup to dual boot.

I think this was the first time I had to rely on that.

Now I need to figure out how to tell the folks at Ubuntu
philo
2024-06-19 22:27:56 UTC
Post by philo
Post by Mark Lloyd
[snip]
Post by philo
I had a ton of fun the other day when I uninstalled some necessary
network functions and could not use use Synaptic to retrieve them.
That happened to me once. I've since forgotten how I fixed it, but
suppose it involved downloading it using a different computer.
[snip]
Yes, that's why my main machines are setup to dual boot.
I think this was the first time I had to rely on that.
Now I need to figure out how to tell the folks at Ubuntu
Did not even remember that I had an account with them.
Logged in and wen to the "leave message" option where I have to fill in
my name and email.

The spaces will NOT accept text...so there is a bug in their
notification system...why would I be surprised.
philo
2024-06-19 22:35:39 UTC
Post by philo
Post by philo
Post by Mark Lloyd
[snip]
Post by philo
I had a ton of fun the other day when I uninstalled some necessary
network functions and could not use use Synaptic to retrieve them.
That happened to me once. I've since forgotten how I fixed it, but
suppose it involved downloading it using a different computer.
[snip]
Yes, that's why my main machines are setup to dual boot.
I think this was the first time I had to rely on that.
Now I need to figure out how to tell the folks at Ubuntu
Did not even remember that I had an account with them.
Logged in and wen to the "leave message" option where I have to fill in
my name and email.
The spaces will NOT accept text...so there is a bug in their
notification system...why would I be surprised.
LOL, I put my name into a text editor and was able to cut and past that
into their box...after that I could enter text into the rest.

This stuff really make one think